GDT: Jets @ Devils 7PM

ThreeCups

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more important to keep riding Marty's run of play right now than it is to get Schneider back in. I think Marty's form right now is a "limited time" sort of thing, while Schneider's at the point in his career where he'll be sharp at whatever point he's called back in as our #1; this isn't his first rodeo. Marty's still the hot hand in my opinion, we can go with Cory when his play starts to drop.

Exactly

Lightning in a bottle

Do any of you guys here think Marty's been doing anything short of "killing it" lately? If not, then I'm not sure what games you've been watching? He's been phenomenal.

:thumbsup:

If we win tonight, I come right back with #30

That's like playing Russian Roulette and saying if the next chamber is empty, I'll just keep going. Eventually Marty's play will drop off, it's pretty much guaranteed. I don't think anyone here thinks he can keep this up all year. I'm already very impressed by his play, but I also don't want to tempt fate. Cory should still get the big games because he is more reliable at this point, imo.

LGD!

I am going to be counting the times Cangilosi says "Big Dustin Byfuglien" tonight........

Every. Single. Time.

oh boy he's gonna unload on the "bigs" tonight...

he is so obsessed with the word "big." every play has a big drive or big a save. Every player over 6'2" is "big"...

That's like playing Russian Roulette and saying if the next chamber is empty, I'll just keep going. Eventually Marty's play will drop off, it's pretty much guaranteed. I don't think anyone here thinks he can keep this up all year. I'm already very impressed by his play, but I also don't want to tempt fate. Cory should still get the big games because he is more reliable at this point, imo.

Not exactly.

Eventually his play will drop off, and then Cory get get a string of starts

You have to ride the hot hand until it's not the hot hand. Marty will get the majority of starts and split the back-to-backs until he falters. Sooner or later, he will slow down, and then it's Cory's turn for a run.

You have to ride the hot hand until it's not the hot hand. Marty will get the majority of starts and split the back-to-backs until he falters. Sooner or later, he will slow down, and then it's Cory's turn for a run.

Corey's given up 2 goals in his past two games 

Marty's given up 5 goals in his past two games

What more does Corey have to do be be considered the hot hand or on a run?

Have some fun and make a drinking game out of it. :P

I think you're onto something..... :dizzy:

sooo who wants to play tonight:

"Big Dustin Byfuglien" = Take a shot

"Shot, Scar" = Take a shot

"Sharp Angle Try" = Take a shot

"Shot, Save" = Drink beer

"Big Save" = Drink beer

"Strong along the boards" = Drink beer

I don't see Cory in terms of a "hot hand" or "going on a run", I think he's our constant right now, and for the future. You can just see in his his technique night-in and night-out that he's always ready to play. His style and technique is so solid and sound, it's unbelievable, textbook model-goalie of this era. Short of the Senators game, he really doesn't put in any subpar performances. He's only 27 and possibly not even hitting his prime YET! He's absolutely the better of the two goalies, that's without a doubt.

However....

Marty's hot right now too, and the team is winning with him in the net. He's at the stage of his career where the level of play and energy he's been showing us will absolutely start to fade, maybe by Christmas, maybe by the Yankee Stadium game, nobody knows. But while we're winning, and while he's playing games the way he has (and keeping us in the games vs. Anaheim and San Jose in dramatic vintage-Marty fashion), you keep the face of the franchise in. 

When the time comes (and it will), and Marty has a few bad games, Cory's such a constant high-end goaltender that he'd be able to come in right where he left off. You can't say the same about Marty, so you give him most of the starts for now. Just my opinion...

Edited by DJ Eco

Yeah I just think with Marty getting banged in the head the other night and his age it wouldnt be a bad idea to give him an extra day of rest, sure he's playing real good right now, but I like the idea of letting Corey split games as much as possible ...just so he knows he's an important part of this team.

Right. All things being equal, I'll take Schneider almost every night just because he's younger and more reliable. Marty has not been better than Schneider, we're just more impressed with him because we expected Marty to look like dog sh!t this year compared to Cory.

Right. All things being equal, I'll take Schneider almost every night just because he's younger and more reliable. Marty has not been better than Schneider, we're just more impressed with him because we expected Marty to look like dog sh!t this year compared to Cory.

1. The TEAM looks better with Marty in net (it's debatable why, I don't really know why).

2. Marty is playing WELL (albeit not better than Schneider, most can admit), but well.

3. The TEAM wins.

4. Keep Marty in net.

When any single one of these very simple factors shows signs of breaking, whether our team play or Marty's own strong play, I'll say it's time to give Schneider the #1 designation again. I agree with you, if I had to choose the starting goalie for the next 40 games and could only pick one, I'd pick Schneider. But otherwise, there's really no rush to changing the dynamic that's been working for us during a nice long run so far.

Edited by DJ Eco

I like both players...I'm not a Marty basher or one who thinks he's the greatest (still)

I just feel the older player should get more days off

Edited by The 29th Pick

The team is winning with Marty in net. They are gonna ride that for all it's worth. As long as points are coming in, he'll be playing. There's a lot of hockey left to play. Cory will be the starter when it's all said and done

Sooner or later, Marty will get hurt or lay an egg, and Cory will get consecutive starts and a chance to make the spot his again. Schneider is one of the most technically sound goalies going right now. He will have the spot in the end. There's nothing wrong with him having to fight for it.

"Big Save" = Drink beer

You forgot "gives chase"

"Big Save" = Drink beer

Wow if you can get through this drinking game, you're probably an alcoholic.