NFL Week 4!!

CRASHER

The one-quarter point of the season is already here…..as always the year starts to FLY by once the football kicks off for Week One…oi….last Sunday was truly the wildest and craziest 3:30 to 4:30 hour I think I’ve ever seen in all the years of footballing I remember…a lil controversy (which creates cash of course)….and now we get the spoiled, overpaid part-time employees back (and think about that, part time employees who have 6-7 figure jobs ELSEWHERE were holding out and crying for a “pension”…. Funny I thought you needed be a full-time employee for that)….anyway, the “real refs” are back, so we can go back to an acceptable level of incompetence…yay!

Also lost in all this internet whining, and people following the football media’s crap about replacement refs like the sheep they are is an actual scary fact and a telling thing about this season….look at the number of “elite offenses” that can’t protect the QB properly….Dallas, Green Bay, Chicago, Phily, New England, Chicago, even Denver….did I mention Chicago?...in fact the only ones who can are the Giants and the Ravens….go figure right?

One last side note…after last week and all the unpredictability (maybe I should be like the rest of the sheep and blame the “scab refs” for it too)….I’ve kinda thrown my hands and given up on predicting this crap….so I’m trying something new this week, all winners and losers this week will be done in the most random way possible (just like the result)….COIN TOSS…..heads is home….tails is the road team….we’ll give the “Two-Face” Method a spin!!!

Thursday Sept. 27:

Browns at Ravens:

Hey Time Warner fans, congratulations….you FINALLY get the NFL Network, and the Red Zone and all the football goodness….and the Thursday Night games….but then you turn and get handed THIS stinker to start your trip into the Thursday Night games….a game so bad they didn’t even make a wacky commercial with Hornswoggle’s dad the creepy Irish Midget….. the Ravens are coming in with the 2nd best scoring and the league’s best “20 yards and over plays” offense….and the Browns are the Browns….you’d think I should just be able to say “Ravens” and move on….but oh no, we are a slave to the coin this week…..let’s flip this bitch and see:

Winner: heads! ….Ravens (*phew*)

Game Quality: DUD (it’s still Cleveland folks, least the Avengers is out on Blu-Ray…)

Sunday Sept. 29:

1pm:

49ers at NY Jets:

The 49ers had a rare stinker last week against Minnesota, they didn’t stop the run, they fell behind and they just played like ass, while the Jets won quite arguably one of the most bizarre, ugliest and just….kinda icky games you can possibly win…..at a cost… Revis Island is on vacation for the next 9-some months with an ACL tear… and in come an angry and determined 49er team that doesn’t lose two games in a row….like ever…. Again…this feels like an obvious pick….but no longer will we be fooled by the obvious here!!! Oh mighty nickel…..who do I pick???? (hey guys remember when the “real” refs screwed up an overtime coin toss on Thanksgiving with Jerome Bettis….good times…)

Winner: heads (again!?!?!)….NY Jets

Game Quality: ** (I’m banking on something weird happening here)

Seattle at St. Louis:

Well this game’s gonna have some eyes on it… Seattle comes in on a two-game winning streak, and the most controversial correct call in league’s history (if you’re complaining go look up what determines a “reception” in the NFL already and do something useful in your internet time and quit bitching! The Hawks play good defense, run the ball well and just ask the QB to not screw up…..the Rams were solid, until last week and all hell broke loose with the Bears bringing down the wrath of God, Jay Cutler and a dose of Michael Bush too…this game has Seattle let-down written all over it (and most clueless people will call this an “evening out of an undeserved win” for Seattle…again, shows what they know…)….but we don’t make these decisions….

Winner: heads (3 for 3!?!??! CMON)….Rams

Game Quality: * ½ (probably not much to see here)

Carolina at Atlanta:

Right now the Falcons are playing the best football in the NFL, dominating the AFC in 3 impressive contests….guess that’s the one asterisk you can put on them, the better teams are in the NFC and they ain’t played any yet….Carolina seems to be a bit of a struggle early in this season (not to mention that hilarious “Hello Kitty” T-Shirt ad in the Carolina press ripping on sCam for being one this season….so far)…can you have a letdown game in your own division?? Probably not….this is one of those games where it all looks obvious for an Atlanta win, in fact so obvious you just go and pick the other team….so far the coin’s been locked on heads….so even the coin toss looks pro-Atlanta….let’s flip this sucker…..

Winner: (son of a bitch this is killing the bit….) Atlanta

Game Quality: *** (this should be interesting….)

Vikings at Lions:

The Vikings may have played their best game of the season last week coming out and punching the big bad 49ers in the face and pounding on it until the nose gashed blood all over the damn place….while the Lions on the other hand made the worst team in the NFL look pretty awesome (though they still almost beat them if Jim Schwartz isn’t a moron….when you’re calling a fake snap draw them offside play and you have a backup QB, you grab the QB and the center by the facemask (one in each arm, after all he’s not the drummer for Def Leppard right?) and you scream “UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE DO YOU SNAP THAT BALL” and you send them out there….since you didn’t you deserve what happened to you….again the Lions seem the wise bet here….and yes I’ve switched coins because coming up heads EVERY time is hardly random….CMON TAILS…. Son of a bitch…it rolled under the couch….wait…I got it…

Winner: TAILS!!! Vikings

Game Quality: **

Chargers at Chiefs:

This should be an interesting one….and as awful as the Chiefs have started, thanks to Jamaal Charles and a porous Saints “defense” (if the Saints drop to 0-5 will Goodell let them put unproven bounties back on?) and as a Charles owner in two leagues who flipped him back IN the line up Sunday at 12:15pm….I expect another big week this week….I still don’t know what to make of the Chargers right now…they still only beat up on the little teams….thankfully this goes to the coin….any takers on tails? You should have!

Winner: tails!....Chargers

Game Quality: **** (this will be fun)

Titans at Texicans:

The Titans played the game of their lives last week…and still almost blew it…twice….but they are victorious (leaving only Cleveland and New Orleans of all teams as the only winless folks in the land)….while Houston just keeps ROLLING, despite Matt Schaub unleashing his inner (ear) Mick Foley and losing a chunk during the game…it’s amazing how we SHOULD be admiring the guy’s toughness…but people spend more time crying that a hit that should be LEGAL wasn’t penalized…no wonder we have an anti-game like sarcasta-ball in existence…. *sigh*….anyway…all signs point to the Texicans here…but now the damn coin is on a TAILS lock….so much for randomizing…..

Winner: HEADS!! Praise Jesus…. Texicans

Game Quality: DUD (no way the Titans put up two 40-burgers)

Patriots at Bills:

This could be the 1pm game of the week…the Pats are under .500 since the days of standard-def TVs, public radio and dial-up internet (and ironically since the Bills beat them up to make them start a season 0-1), offensive line problems…average defensive play….and the Bills have cleaned up their act since the week one disaster….Fitzpatrick is throwing to the RIGHT jerseys, CJ Spiller was tearing it up (but he’s not playing this week not off that shoulder injury)…Fred Jackson may come back….if not it’s up to ex-Cowboy Tashard Choice who is as capable a #3 RB as you’ll have…at least this game actually is a coin toss kinda game….and imagine a world with Tom Brady and the 1-3 Patriots…..the coin seems to….

Winner: Bills

Game Quality: **** ½

4pm:

Bengals at Jacksonville:

Oh boy….this is by far the least appealing game of the week ain’t it? Hell I think my coin of random flippage is threatening to walk out and have a lockout over this sh!tty game… don’t get me wrong, the Bengals are doing good things on offense, AJ Green is as good a WR as you don’t know in the NFL (mostly cause he’s not a diva)….Andy Dalton is making strides and improvements in year two that Cam Newton can only dream of…yeah the defense is AWFUL, but offense wins in this league….this might be more entertaining then I expect because of that and Jacksonville is good at wacky finishes, but at the end of the day no one cares about this game….suck it up coin….*flip*

Winner: tails it is…..Bengals

Game Quality: DUD

Oakland at Broncos:

This is a tough one to gauge….I have NO idea still how the Raiders came back on the Steelers….I mean I know the Steeler D is the Tin Foil Curtain now…old and needs a reboot….the Steeler offensive line is horrid, but Ben makes up for that, and hell he had a VERY big day…and yeah McFadden did gash the Steelers and show why he was a top 5 fantasy RB….but still…hell even Carson Palmer was solid….and the Steelers did only have one sack….maybe just the Steelers aren’t that good now….however the Broncos have been whipped and beaten around the last two weeks too, maybe this coin toss thing is good…means I don’t have to stress over winners in this evenly matched train wrecks….

Winner: Oakland

Game Quality: **

Miami at Arizona:

Will Reggie Bush play Sunday? I’d say my gut feeling says yes, but that gut don’t have as much feeling as it did a few years ago….but I do expect him to be out there, it’s amazing what Arizona is doing…no QB, craptastic running game…and yet they keep winning (given they beat Seattle in their building, an awful Eagles team and a Pats team that’s a mess, but a normal Cardinal team is 0-3 still)….would it shock anyone if the bottom fell out and Arizona was 5-11 by year’s end? Not really….but looks like me and the coin agree on this one…Tanehill is improving but he got no one to throw to outside of Bush and Fasano….nice to see the randomizer agree with me here…..

Winner: Arizona

Game Quality: ** ¾

Washington at Tampa Bay:

While RG III is dazzling people and putting up awesome fantasy numbers, the defense is losing players by the hour and the team’s not winning games …101 points allowed is 3rd worst in the NFL, and it’s only going to get worse as they lose more and more players….the good news for Washington….the Tampa Bay offense doesn’t exactly set the world on fire…hell it could barely light a match….Josh Freeman is barely over 50% on his passes and he didn’t even crack 200 yards in 2 of his 3 starts…this offense is exactly what the Redskins D needs…not to mention I love seeing Schiano suffer to the opponent’s victory formation (and I’m waiting for a pissed o-line guy to cut one of his DL guys and wipe him out for the year and him have the balls to cry dirty about it when putting the guy on IR because of his own douchey methods…)…I’d love to take Washington here…but the coin is being very female…and not listening…..

Winner: Tampa Bay

Saints at Green Bay:

Who would have thought these two would combine for 1-5 right now?? Damn….the season’s probably over for the Saints by now….the D is a joke, Drew Brees is doing too much and anyone who wonders how much coaching MATTERS in the NFL need look no further then Hurricane City for evidence….add in all the bad things happening to them with an ANGRY Packers team that “got screwed” (Green Bay screwed Green Bay folks….score a TD or two, and you win the damn game)…but the Packers D is playing better then anything else on the team right now….and this is not going to be a pleasant experience for the Saints….least the weather is nice by Green Bay standards….have a nice day! And thank you magic coin again……

Winner: Green Bay

Game Quality: *** ¾

8pm:

NY Giants at Eagles:

Even in losing last week the Eagles still remain the most overrated and undeserving team in football to have a winning record….Vick is still a turnover factory, the offensive line is as non-existent as the running game, the coach can’t adjust…and now they start playing some of the good teams….yes usually the Eagles own this match-up, but usually they do the little things like block….my only worry for the Giants is they had a lot of rest and have some healthy players back on offense….when you expect this team to win is when they lay their biggest of eggs after all….but I can say this with confidence….since I flipped the damn coin….and at least I got an alibi when it asses up right???

Winner: NY Giants

Monday Sept. 30:

Bears at Cowboys:

This game should be the first team to have a drive end in a TD without their QB getting sacked wins….seriously….porous o-lines, elite pass rushers…and watch this will be a 38-30 game right?? Both teams came off gutty wins last week (though the Cowboys one was a little guttier since they had NOTHING going on offense and the Bears did finally wear down the Rams, while the Cowboys had to survive the Schiano Special and that gutless “we don’t give up no matter how horrid our offense was the entire game” garbage….this is one game I’m glad I’m flipping a coin on….I have NO idea how this is gonna turn out….I’d like to say the Cowboys are a little better because of their secondary….I’m just glad I’ll be on the ice rink skating my ass off and catching this one afterwards….LAST FLIP OF THE DAY!!!

Winner: Cowboys (frak you coin!)

Game Quality: ***

NFL Power Rankings Week 2:

AFC:

1. Houston…the only thing they left in Denver was QB ear parts…
  2. Baltimore….though beating New England may not be that impressive now…
  3. Cincinnati….nice 2 game bounce back from the opener….
  4. San Diego…average team in an unimpressive conference
  5. NY Jets….first place?

NFC:

1. Falcons....no one is playing better now
  2. 49ers.....just a bump in the road?
  3. Arizona....admit it, they are impressive....somehow.....
  4. NY Giants....winning with the B team
  5. Dallas....gutty defensive effort.....kiss of death planted.....

Edited by CRASHER

You can take it to the bank that the Jets are not beating the 49ers

I like Philly against the Giants. Giants are overrated. They shouldve lost against Tampa...and Carolina looks like it belongs in the arena league. The only competent team theyve played is Dallas and lost. Philly will move the ball on 'em, and Vick is one of the rare qb's fast enough to elude the Giants speed rushers. He can buy extra time ans carve up their bad secondary. 34-28 Eagles

He did coin flips for the picks so he didn't really pick the Jets...

The AFC power rankings are depressing; just shows what a weak conference it is this year. Outside of Houston and Baltimore it's a mixed bag of mediocrity or crap, although Pittsburgh and New England are good bets to rise up at some point.

Edited by nmigliore

The AFC power rankings are depressing; just shows what a weak conference it is this year. Outside of Houston and Baltimore it's a mixed bag of mediocrity or crap, although Pittsburgh and New England are good bets to rise up at some point.

Yeah the NFC is WAY better then the AFC this year......and I FIXED the NFC top 5...oops :blink:

I can't wait to see how coin flip week turns out :rofl:

Well so far I look on my way to my first pick of accuracy on Thursday Night....oi, what a TERRIBLE season this has been (but entertaining as hell!)

As I told Crasher last night: The Ravens/Browns match was the post New England clucker scenario for us. We typically beat a great team and the next week have a let down. Coach Harbaugh has had this team evolve and they are learning to play at a high level every week. Say what you want about our D, but remember this was our second game in 3 days. We now have close to 10 days to rest. With T-Sizzle looming in the background. This is our year.

You can take it to the bank that the Jets are not beating the 49ers

I like Philly against the Giants. Giants are overrated. They shouldve lost against Tampa...and Carolina looks like it belongs in the arena league. The only competent team theyve played is Dallas and lost. Philly will move the ball on 'em, and Vick is one of the rare qb's fast enough to elude the Giants speed rushers. He can buy extra time ans carve up their bad secondary. 34-28 Eagles

If the Superbowl Champions are "overrated" what does that make Philly? Philly has one of the worst offensive lines in the game and the Giants will eat Vick alive this weekend. The Eagles are trying to eliminate Vick's strength (his legs) and basically making him a unmoving target in a passing pocket made of holes. Add the McCoy bulletin board material and I think the Giants are going to crush the Eagles. Vick is gone by the second quarter.

If the Superbowl Champions are "overrated" what does that make Philly? Philly has one of the worst offensive lines in the game and the Giants will eat Vick alive this weekend. The Eagles are trying to eliminate Vick's strength (his legs) and basically making him a unmoving target in a passing pocket made of holes. Add the McCoy bulletin board material and I think the Giants are going to crush the Eagles. Vick is gone by the second quarter.

Yeah, I kinda agree with this. Philly's OL is a mess right now.

The one thing Andy Reid can do with this is screen pass, since the Giants DL is going to be licking their chops for Sacksville. But I think the Giants win this one by 7. I took the Giants +2.5 when I had the chance.

And honestly, Browns +12 was probably the lock of the week, for all the reasons Manta specified. Too bad I wasn't in AC this week...

As I told Crasher last night: The Ravens/Browns match was the post New England clucker scenario for us. We typically beat a great team and the next week have a let down. Coach Harbaugh has had this team evolve and they are learning to play at a high level every week. Say what you want about our D, but remember this was our second game in 3 days. We now have close to 10 days to rest. With T-Sizzle looming in the background. This is our year.

Might want to learn how to count there, but I get the situation wasn't ideal.

Let's be honest, the Giants are a 7-9 to 9-7 team, very lucky, and very uneven. Great passing, great rushing the QB...but they can absolutely get torn up in the secondary, and you can run on them quite easily. Eagles are a step up from the cupcakes they've played the past two weeks, and Reid usually does a nice job outscheming Coughlin. It just seems like Philly turns everything up a notch when they play the Giants.

I don't think the Eagles have an answer for arguably the best QB in the NFL in Eli Manning who manages to win games with anyone they happen to put at WR that weekend. Manning would make the Jets receiving Corp look good.

Manning is a step down from Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers. I mean come on...the game the Giants lucked out in winning against us last xmas...he completed like 8 passes and got a miracle 99 yard play from Victor Cruz. He looked like sh!t against a good coverage team(which he doesn't end up seeing too often in the NFC)

The Giants have been propping him up with good talent for years. Burress bailed him out catching his overthrows. He's had Tiki and Bradshaw as great dump off targets. Toomer was a very good safety blanket for him early in his career (and believe me, manning did not "make" toomer better, he was well established already) Shockey was a beastly pass catching tight end for a few years...plus they have a pass happy OC. Manning is abover average and lucky, but he's a 2nd tier QB. And still throws an inordinate amount of interceptions (stupid one's too, like Mark Sanchez stupid) which is something he should've grown out of by now.

Edited by '7'

Luck has nothing to do with being a 2x Superbowl QB with almost an entirely different WR corps.

It has everything to do with it. I mean come on, the Tyree catch (luck plus an offensive line that hel pretty mich every member of the NE defensivel ine), Burress in Green Bay OWNING that game (and then Favre handing the giants the game) He's had different receivers...but they've all been very good.

A good comparison for Manning is Terry Bradshaw. He just had all the right pieces around him

It has everything to do with it. I mean come on, the Tyree catch (luck plus an offensive line that hel pretty mich every member of the NE defensivel ine), Burress in Green Bay OWNING that game (and then Favre handing the giants the game) He's had different receivers...but they've all been very good.

A good comparison for Manning is Terry Bradshaw. He just had all the right pieces around him

The Tyre pass was luck, but getting to the Superbowl was not. Eli MADE Burress, just as he made Manningham, Cruz, Steve Smith, etc. Manning makes a well coached WR corp GREAT. Eli doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Not to mention Eli's gotten the best out of scrub TE's like Ballard and now Bennett. Ripping on him is silly. He's a better version of Favre, occasionally he'll have hiccups but not quite as many as the Favreini. Favre at his best was better than Eli at his best, but Eli's more consistent.

As far as this week's games...I don't think Carroll will be running around like they won the Super Bowl this week. No replacement refs to save them anymore lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Favre at his best was better than Eli at his best, but Eli's more consistent.

When it is all said and done Eli will accomplish much more than Favre, with the exception of Favre's trademark INT record.

Favre's biggest success came when he had a Reggie White Defense which nullified Favre's goofy mistakes.

Panthers with the most pathetic and toughest loss in franchise history. Worse for me than how they won the Super Bowl. They got the game winning first down but Cam fumbled the ball from past the first down line to behind it. Then they allow the Falcons to gain 60 yards on the first play from the 1-yard line. Inexcusable. Then you have CBs that don't get to cover the boundaries when a team has no timeouts and decides to cover the middle of the field instead.

What a joke team.