Devils may retire Neidermayer's number

skeeter

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heyyyy don't hate on the Seahawks. The crowd in Seattle legitimately makes a difference during the course of the game, our crowd...not so much.

Yes, retiring the number 12 was ridiculous, but leave us alone, what the hell else do we have to celebrate there?

i agree with you man. i had to opportunity to go see them 2 years ago and that place was crazy loud :cheers:

If Lou retired Nieds jersey it would be the first act of loyalty the guy showed one of his team’s all-time greats. Nieder never signed one single contract with the Devils that paid him his value. I didn't blame him for leaving when Lou showed up too little too late. Even though, if his brother was a minor leaguer he would have no doubt signed Lou's last contract. Lou scumbagged Scott Niedermayer and yet, the guy still performed admirably his entire tenure as a Devil. Lou owes Nieds a banner in his honor.

The bolded statement is exactly the problem. For a player to get his number retired, I believe his world SHOULD revolve around the New Jersey Devils. I want him to be a Devil down to his very core. I want it to be all he thinks about, and the ONLY place he wants to be. Stevens and Daneyko had that, they had that fire and being a Devil was their very identity. Look at those two now - they both live in NJ, and their careers are still revolving around the Devils. Daneyko is obviously Mr Devil and lives and breathes this team. Stevens is coaching young defensemen and his role within the organization will continue to increase. Do you really think Niedermeyer will be the same?

he gave his best years to the Devils. I couldn't believe the morons that booed him when he came back here. He'll be a 1st round H of Famer because of what he did here in NJ.

He easily deserves to have his number retired. I'm embarressed by the fans that booed him.

You know, honestly (especially because of what I believe of post-lockout "numbers", especially that one year), I don't know if he *is* a HOF on merit. He is on accomplishments, 4 cups, 2 golds, conn smythe, norris yadda yadda yadda

I don't know if he's a slam-dunk like say, Stevens, who has merit (729 points in 911 games, .80 PPG, vs. Nieds' .585 PPG, career, and he finished on an upswing.), before he intentionally stopped playing offensively (by choice and later by force), and accomplishment.

edit: holy math error. Stevens' pre '95 numbers are 672 in 911. or, .734 PPG... adding up vertical columns is a pain in the ass

Edited by maxpower

The bolded statement is exactly the problem. For a player to get his number retired, I believe his world SHOULD revolve around the New Jersey Devils. I want him to be a Devil down to his very core. I want it to be all he thinks about, and the ONLY place he wants to be. Stevens and Daneyko had that, they had that fire and being a Devil was their very identity. Look at those two now - they both live in NJ, and their careers are still revolving around the Devils. Daneyko is obviously Mr Devil and lives and breathes this team. Stevens is coaching young defensemen and his role within the organization will continue to increase. Do you really think Niedermeyer will be the same?

Well, that's one of the problems with retiring numbers, also. Everyone would like a guy to play his whole career for this team, give it all every night, win multiple cups and be an MVP on every one of those championship teams, while also leading his position in scoring every year (taking a hometown discount once in a while during his UFA years wouldn't hurt, either). I'd love that, too.

But... I have some news to you: with standards like these you'd retire, I don't know... maybe two numbers every fifty years? Guys, the Devils were the most (or the second most) successful team of the 95 - 2005 era. And we're really not going crazy with numbers retirements: Stevens, Nieds, Marty, Elias are givens, throw in Dano for character and commitment. That's really no THAT many numbers.

Some teams wait forty (or so) years for a Cup. Not everyone is as fortunate as the Devils. If what Nieds has done here isn't enough to get his number retired, than there should be just a handful of players with their numbers retired in their respective teams, since there really aren't many guys who were so successful (especially in the past two, maybe three decades, when the era of great dynasties ended). Those teams winning one championship in forty years should have their rafters empty, then.

If we retire Niedermayer. Then we should retire Elias, and maybe Brylin. Why not MacLean? All of them have been long time Devils. Won cups, etc...

Point is lets not be the Rangers and retire every great player we loved, ie. Adam Graves.

Next player we retire and to the rafters in Brodeur in 5 years.

If we retire Niedermayer. Then we should retire Elias, and maybe Brylin. Why not MacLean? All of them have been long time Devils. Won cups, etc...

Point is lets not be the Rangers and retire every great player we loved, ie. Adam Graves.

Next player we retire and to the rafters in Brodeur in 5 years.

Niedermayer WILL be retired, and so will Elias. Elias will be a lifer, and the franchise's all time leading scorer. No brainer here.....

Brylin?? seriously you did not say that... then probably Pando, Madden & white as well right??

Broduer, Neids & maybe.. MAYBE Elias... it ends there...

I wasnt serious with Brylin, just exaggerating the whole retiring players and numbers.....

Niedermayer WILL be retired, and so will Elias. Elias will be a lifer, and the franchise's all time leading scorer. No brainer here.....

I am not disputing that. and I also agree Elias probably will be too, just do not want to get carried away with retiring numbers. Its a Special honor, not something that should be retired for every other player that ends his career.

I wasnt serious with Brylin, just exaggerating the whole retiring players and numbers.....

I am not disputing that. and I also agree Elias probably will be too, just do not want to get carried away with retiring numbers. Its a Special honor, not something that should be retired for every other player that ends his career.

I agree that it should be a special honor. But Nieds and Elias fit the bill for sure....

In a "Ring of Honor" or something of that sort. But Brylin does not warrant a jersey retirement....

Maybe, maybe not. He is one of the 5 players that won 3 Cups with the team after all. Granted, his role wasn't as prominent as some of the other guys in acheiving those Cups, but he still played his role well and contributed. Plus, the fans liked him. I say, at the very least, when Sarge hangs 'em up for good, that he gets a "Sergei Brylin" night. Just a night where he can stand at center ice with his family and be thanked by the fans for what he did for the franchise. No other honor (i.e. Ring of Honor) needed, methinks.

Maybe, maybe not. He is one of the 5 players that won 3 Cups with the team after all. Granted, his role wasn't as prominent as some of the other guys in acheiving those Cups, but he still played his role well and contributed. Plus, the fans liked him. I say, at the very least, when Sarge hangs 'em up for good, that he gets a "Sergei Brylin" night. Just a night where he can stand at center ice with his family and be thanked by the fans for what he did for the franchise. No other honor (i.e. Ring of Honor) needed, methinks.

If there was a "Ring of Honor" he would be the perfect inductee. A guy that is not quite worthy of a jersey retirement night, but definitely deserving of special recognition. The other 4 guys that were part of all 3 Cup teams (Stevens, Dano, Nieds, Marty) will all have their numbers hanging from the rafters. #18 should be somewhere....

To flip that argument around, do you induct guys who only played in 3 all star games to the hall of fame? Only made the first all star team at the end of season once? And only made second team one other time as well.

probably not. but the HHOF is about all hockey, so you have to include Juniors (?), worlds, olympics etc

I think #27 will be retired, I just can't say when. I can say when not - and that is after he has been retired for just a few months...

After he's a well-deserved first ballot HHOF-er, for all his accomplishments at all levels of hockey, then I would begin to consider when to raise it.

so we have a few years before that happens.

#18 should be somewhere....

The "Devils Inner Circle"

Anyone who believes #27 should be retired has to agree #26 belongs there too. Then #30, (then #9, #17 ... eventually ... I hope ... since we'll have ALL THOSE CUPS!!) :evil:

By then Lou will have packed it in and the Devils will be allowed to wear #'s >31 so that won't be an issue anymore. :koolaid:

The "Devils Inner Circle"

Anyone who believes #27 should be retired has to agree #26 belongs there too. Then #30, (then #9, #17 ... eventually ... I hope ... since we'll have ALL THOSE CUPS!!) :evil:

By then Lou will have packed it in and the Devils will be allowed to wear #'s >31 so that won't be an issue anymore. :koolaid:

+1. I think Nieds belongs as well as Elias. Elias still has time to add to his legacy. Marty was obviously an automatic even if he retired 7 years ago! Anything from here on out is just gravy at the tail end of his career. It really would be catastrophic IMO if Marty doesn't get another Cup before he retires. To win 3 in 8 years and then go 8 seasons(assuming he retires after next season, which I hope he DOESN'T) without any real playoff success? Cup #4 is for Marty's swan song. Let's get it boys!

EDIT: I hope that #9 and #17 join the others up there after years of success and at least a couple of Cups....

Edited by ThreeCups