Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

He hasn't asked for it publicly of course.  Geez.  He wants a new contract but sees the Devils won't give him one.  He wants to go try and win a Cup and in the process boost his value for getting another 1 yr deal somewhere.  I've heard from a few people he's let Lou know he would not mind a trade to a contender.

He's also clearly soured on Deboer, that he's been pretty careful with on choosing his words, but he pretty much came out and let his dissatisfaction be known the last few weeks, and this is on top some of his whining the previous month.

He hasn't made it 100% clear if he's to play this next year.  If I had to guess, I'd say it's a good bet he'll play next year.  Also, you have no idea if the Devils won't give him one.  And if you read that somewhere, please show a source.  He also said he wouldn't ask for a trade this year.  I'm not trying to discredit you, but please provide a source.

He's not clearly soured on Deboer.  He said it made no sense for him and Zajac to be split up.  He questioned the move, and that's all he did.  What other dissatisfaction has he shown exactly?  What whining?  We are talking about Jagr, right?

He hasn't made it 100% clear if he's to play this next year. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a good bet he'll play next year. Also, you have no idea if the Devils won't give him one. And if you read that somewhere, please show a source. He also said he wouldn't ask for a trade this year. I'm not trying to discredit you, but please provide a source.

He's not clearly soured on Deboer. He said it made no sense for him and Zajac to be split up. He questioned the move, and that's all he did. What other dissatisfaction has he shown exactly? What whining? We are talking about Jagr, right?

Sorry Mike I can't take you seriously anymore if you have to keep doing this.

I'm not understanding your first paragraph.  I don't want to say they will make the playoffs, because I have no idea if they will.  I'm not stopping short of anything.  I'm not gonna state an opinion that I don't have.  The opinion I do have is that I think they should be buyers.  That's the only opinion I've shared in this thread.

We're not in that unique of a situation because just about every team has been or is in the same situation.

What is not ideal about our situation exactly?  We clearly have offensive problems.  That's why you make a trade or two to improve that problem.  Is it a gamble?  Sure it is.  If this wasn't debatable, we wouldn't be debating it.  Some of you don't want Lou to make that gamble, and I'm fine with that.  It is of my opinion that we do have the prospects to spare.  We have a plethora of defense prospects that teams would kill to have.  Like I said, it's unrealistic to expect all of them to be on the Devils.  Why not trade one of them for a proven scorer to help us get into the playoffs?  I understand the gamble, but it's definitely worth taking.

I also don't think you guys understand that the leap frogging of multiple teams and games in hand don't come into effect until much later into the season.  With 23 games left, you don't worry about that stuff.  With 5 games left, yes, but not 23.

Here's why the games in hand thing and leap frogging of teams thing isn't important RIGHT NOW.

1. It's unrealistic to expect all of the teams to finish with 90+ points.  13 teams in the conference getting to 90 points is pretty much impossible,  So if the Devils finish with the 92-93 points required, it won't matter in the end.

2. With all the teams so tightly packed the way they are, the standings are always gonna be fluctuating and changing.  For example, if the Devils win one game with Ottawa, Washington, and Carolina losing, the Devils just leap frogged 3 teams in basically one game.  The Devils would be tied with Ottawa, Washington, and Columbus in points, but the Devils would own the tie breaker (ROW) against Ottawa and Washington.

3. It's gonna take more than 64 points to make the playoffs regardless.  Every single team still needs to win more games in order to make the playoffs.

The Captain Obvious sh!t is bound to get on people's nerves as much as the playing all sides (or sure seeming to), borderline post-whoring.  Everyone who's been following the Devils and NHL for a while knows about #1, #2, and #3.  Do you really think saying "It's gonna take more than 64 points to make the playoffs" or "Everyone plays 82 games" are some kind of profound proclamations that no one can see except for you?

Make a trade or two to improve the [offensive] problem?  Well, yeah, duh, of course we'd all like that.  Who specifically?  For what?  How high of a price should Lou be willing to pay?  Are you bringing in a guy signed beyond next season?  What's he making?  Is he a guy who might be more of a reclamation type than a more "sure" thing?  It's easy to just say "Well, just make a trade or two", but it's not that simple, especially for a team that is not really in the position to give away prospects.     

I've pointed out why I'm relatively optimistic (today, anyway)...the Devils' record with Cory in net in his last 14 starts, which is good from a point% standpoint despite them giving him minimal goal support, and the fact that they only really have to match what they did over the recent 25-game stretch (which is possible provided Cory doesn't falter).  But a lot of my current optimism is riding on what happens before the deadline.  If they go 1-2-1 or something like that in the next four, I don't know how anyone can really believe in them anymore.   

Anyway, at this point, it's probably too early to argue the merits of buying or selling.  I think I outlined it fairly well in my prior post...it all really depends on what the Devils do in their next four games.  Six or more points, buy if the prices aren't too prohibitive (no prospects for meh rentals like Cammalleri).  5 or less, sell and hope you can get a team that thinks it has a real shot to make a Cup run with one or two missing pieces to overpay for someone...but I'm not just giving away a guy like Jagr for a 4th-round pick either. 

Sorry Mike I can't take you seriously anymore if you have to keep doing this.

Keep doing what?  Did Jagr ever say those things? 

The Captain Obvious sh!t is bound to get on people's nerves as much as the playing all sides (or sure seeming to), borderline post-whoring.  Everyone who's been following the Devils and NHL for a while knows about #1, #2, and #3.  Do you really think saying "It's gonna take more than 64 points to make the playoffs" or "Everyone plays 82 games" are some kind of profound proclamations that no one can see except for you?

Make a trade or two to improve the [offensive] problem?  Well, yeah, duh, of course we'd all like that.  Who specifically?  For what?  How high of a price should Lou be willing to pay?  Are you bringing in a guy signed beyond next season?  What's he making?  Is he a guy who might be more of a reclamation type than a more "sure" thing?  It's easy to just say "Well, just make a trade or two", but it's not that simple, especially for a team that is not really in the position to give away prospects.     

I've pointed out why I'm relatively optimistic (today, anyway)...the Devils' record with Cory in net in his last 14 starts, which is good from a point% standpoint despite them giving him minimal goal support, and the fact that they only really have to match what they did over the recent 25-game stretch (which is possible provided Cory doesn't falter).  But a lot of my current optimism is riding on what happens before the deadline.  If they go 1-2-1 or something like that in the next four, I don't know how anyone can really believe in them anymore.   

Anyway, at this point, it's probably too early to argue the merits of buying or selling.  I think I outlined it fairly well in my prior post...it all really depends on what the Devils do in their next four games.  Six or more points, buy if the prices aren't too prohibitive (no prospects for meh rentals like Cammalleri).  5 or less, sell and hope you can get a team that thinks it has a real shot to make a Cup run with one or two missing pieces to overpay for someone...but I'm not just giving away a guy like Jagr for a 4th-round pick either. 

Look I apologize for insulting people's intelligence.  The problem is, you're doing the same thing by assuming I don't realize we have to jump over teams and that they have some games in hand.

I'm willing to trade one of our great defensive prospects for a scorer.  When you have the gold mine of defensive prospects like we do, you can spare one of them if it means getting that proven scorer we need.  If Evander Kane is available like the rumors say, I'd definitely trade Merrill+ for him.  That's just one example.  I would NOT trade any of them for a guy like Cammy or Stewart.  I would for Vanek since he's a star scorer sans Severson and Larsson.  One of Santini, Gelinas, or Merrill can be had for Vanek.

I'm confident they can pull this off.  Sure it sounds crazy to have any confidence since they've won 3 games in a row only once this season, but I look back at the season, and I know that they had several opportunities.  A lot of the of the 35 games they didn't win could easily have been wins.  I feel this team deserves more wins than they currently have.  On the other hand, I can think of only a couple of wins they have they didn't really deserve.  BTW, I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO READ THIS PARAGRAPH AS ME SAYING I'M BEING OPTIMISTIC.  SAYING THAT I'M CONFIDENT THEY CAN PULL THIS OFF IS NOT THE SAME AS SAYING THEY WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

It's definitely too early to sell which is what I've been trying to say.  It's never too early to buy though.  And with our current positioning, we need to get on that ASAP.  That's all I've been trying to say in this entire debate.  We're 3 points out.  That's it.  There's no reason to sell when you're 3 points out.

Keep doing what?  Did Jagr ever say those things? 

Look I apologize for insulting people's intelligence.  The problem is, you're doing the same thing by assuming I don't realize we have to jump over teams and that they have some games in hand.

I'm willing to trade one of our great defensive prospects for a scorer.  When you have the gold mine of defensive prospects like we do, you can spare one of them if it means getting that proven scorer we need.  If Evander Kane is available like the rumors say, I'd definitely trade Merrill+ for him.  That's just one example.  I would NOT trade any of them for a guy like Cammy or Stewart.  I would for Vanek since he's a star scorer sans Severson and Larsson.  One of Santini, Gelinas, or Merrill can be had for Vanek.

I'm confident they can pull this off.  Sure it sounds crazy to have any confidence since they've won 3 games in a row only once this season, but I look back at the season, and I know that they had several opportunities.  A lot of the of the 35 games they didn't win could easily have been wins.  I feel this team deserves more wins than they currently have.  On the other hand, I can think of only a couple of wins they have they didn't really deserve.  BTW, I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO READ THIS PARAGRAPH AS ME SAYING I'M BEING OPTIMISTIC.  SAYING THAT I'M CONFIDENT THEY CAN PULL THIS OFF IS NOT THE SAME AS SAYING THEY WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

It's definitely too early to sell which is what I've been trying to say.  It's never too early to buy though.  And with our current positioning, we need to get on that ASAP.  That's all I've been trying to say in this entire debate.  We're 3 points out.  That's it.  There's no reason to sell when you're 3 points out.

But the bolded all factors in Mike.  You can't just ignore or downplay that stuff, for reasons that have been previously stated...better likelihood of teams hanging around, more three-point games that will impact the race, etc.  

Agree in that sure, it would've been nice if Lou would've bought earlier, if he's going to buy at all.  It's really too bad that Boucher couldn't help the offense, but it was a lot to ask of him at this stage.  The problem is the sellers know they'll get their best offers near the deadline, so there's not a whole lot of motivation on their parts to sell early, unless the offer wows them.  For the Devils to wow anyone, they're going to have to cough up guys we probably don't want to see leave. 

I think you rent Vanek if you're 100% sure you can get to a Cup final (of course you might not get there anyway, but if you truly think you CAN, go for it).  I don't think Vanek makes the Devils a true Cup contender.  We know teams can ride a hot goalie, and that the Devils play most teams competitively, but for what Vanek would cost, I don't think the Devils should gamble that heavily.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

But the bolded all factors in Mike.  You can't just ignore or downplay that stuff, for reasons that have been previously stated...better likelihood of teams hanging around, more three-point games that will impact the race, etc.  

Agree in that sure, it would've been nice if Lou would've bought earlier, if he's going to buy at all.  It's really too bad that Boucher couldn't help the offense, but it was a lot to ask of him at this stage.  The problem is the sellers know they'll get their best offers near the deadline, so there's not a whole lot of motivation on their parts to sell early, unless the offer wows them.  For the Devils to wow anyone, they're going to have to cough up guys we probably don't want to see leave. 

I think you rent Vanek if you're 100% sure you can get to a Cup final (of course you might not get there anyway, but if you truly think you CAN, go for it).  I don't think Vanek makes the Devils a true Cup contender.  We know teams can ride a hot goalie, and that the Devils play most teams competitively, but for what Vanek would cost, I don't think the Devils should gamble that heavily.        

Well can't say I disagree with any of this.

You really are a piece of work Mike. 

Thank you.  I take that as a compliment.

The more I think of it, the more I think we have seen the OLD SD return 

Oh God, his postgame comments were always "Good to see [insert player who scored here] score".  And his GDT comments prior to the game were always "Devils need to keep it going", even if they had just won seven games in a row.  I forget what kind of a streak they were on, but one time I finally said "They've been damned near lights out for a while now and lead the conference...do they really 'need' to keep it going?!"  His posts were almost like Mad Libs, with different players and teams inserted, and there wasn't ever anything I remember him posting that wasn't completely obvious already.       

And of course, every fringe player that was ever let go by the Devils and had two good NHL games in a row instantly became the player "that Lou let get away". 

Oh God, his postgame comments were always "Good to see [insert player who scored here] score".  And his GDT comments prior to the game were always "Devils need to keep it going", even if they had just won seven games in a row.  I forget what kind of a streak they were on, but one time I finally said "They've been damned near lights out for a while now and lead the conference...do they really 'need' to keep it going?!"  His posts were almost like Mad Libs, with different players and teams inserted, and there wasn't ever anything I remember him posting that wasn't completely obvious already.       

And of course, every fringe player that was ever let go by the Devils and had two good NHL games in a row instantly became the player "that Lou let get away". 

To be fair, the loss of Matt Taormina is making Lou look pretty stupid....

im confused here... "OLD SD" thats not me right?

No, they're talking about a poster called SatansDevils.  His name was just as baffling as his posting style, and he posted endlessly without anything of substance to say.  I'd say he seemed like a decent guy, but he really didn't.

Edmonton laughs at that deal.  Hall is one of the best young forwards in the game.

This.  Trades typically work by giving something you have a surplus of in return for something you need.  Hall for Henrique is like trading a steak for a hamburger. 

I have a lot good young defensemen but need scoring.  You have scorers to spare, but are weak on defense.  I give you one of my dman in return for one of your scorers.  OR I'm trading you a highly paid player in return for some cap room. 

No, they're talking about a poster called SatansDevils.  His name was just as baffling as his posting style, and he posted endlessly without anything of substance to say.  I'd say he seemed like a decent guy, but he really didn't.

He would also sometimes claim to have inside information.  I will give him credit though that he was more or less spot on about Kovy's deal, and I looked pretty stupid when I said he was making stuff up. 

I don't remember that guy but it sounds kind of like Ken Daneyko between periods.

He would also sometimes claim to have inside information.  I will give him credit though that he was more or less spot on about Kovy's deal, and I looked pretty stupid when I said he was making stuff up. 

You didn't look too stupid. He changed that Kovy prediction on a nearly daily basis. It was to be "announced shortly" for weeks.

I know who exactly you guys are talking about, and I know why this conversation started.  I have been on this forum since 2009.  I actually have 2 other accounts I never use anymore (Korean Kid 23 and koolkoreankid23).  I'm getting the impression you guys are suspicious that it's me.  I wanna make this very clear.  I am not SatansDevils.

I know who exactly you guys are talking about, and I know why this conversation started.  I have been on this forum since 2009.  I actually have 2 other accounts I never use anymore (Korean Kid 23 and koolkoreankid23).  I'm getting the impression you guys are suspicious that it's me.  I wanna make this very clear.  I am not SatansDevils.

I remember both of those screen names. 

I don't think anyone ever thought you were SatansDevils.  He had a "style" (if I could even call it that) that was all his own. 

I remember both of those screen names.

I don't think anyone ever thought you were SatansDevils. He had a "style" (if I could even call it that) that was all his own.

Yeah I remember those screen names as well. SatansDevils, rofl. Yeah he had quite a 'style'...

No one wrote like him. I'd notice him back in 5 posts.

Two. All it would take for me lol.

No one wrote like him.  I'd notice him back in 5 posts.

Not to turn this into the "Behind the Annoyance:  the Life and Times of SatansDevils" thread, but whatever happened to him?  Did he make a big dramatic exit or did he just kind of fade away? 

Not to turn this into the "Behind the Annoyance: the Life and Times of SatansDevils" thread, but whatever happened to him? Did he make a big dramatic exit or did he just kind of fade away?

I remember him having blowups in the Kovy signing thread and the whole OOT thing. Then I think he just started to fade out and stopped posting

You didn't look too stupid. He changed that Kovy prediction on a nearly daily basis. It was to be "announced shortly" for weeks.

I remember he was basically on target claiming it would be a nine figure deal, but then the holding pattern started when LA made that last ditch courtship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk