Sat Nov 3, Let's Support Local Business

njdevil26

Posted this on HF board and such...

A fellow Devils fan (SpeakoftheDevs) had this idea:

Maybe the most simple way to sum up the lockout is with the words "damn shame."

Regardless of the sport itself... I'm sure each and every one of us know a small business owner that is going to suffer because of the lack of business. This is especially apparent in Newark, NJ. The area around the arena was a wasteland in the middle of the ghetto. Now it has a brand new state of the art arena with 6 or 7 restaurant/bar establishments, a brand new apartment complex, and a brand new Marriot hotel..... (and is still in the middle of the ghetto). While the NHL and NHLPA bicker and dance around the issues... seemingly both sides not wanting to bother with an agreement... we should all take a night and pretend we are heading to a game.

Instead of heading into the arena, do a bar crawl with your friends... go have a drink at a few places... or simply pick one place and have dinner and a few drinks... Anything helps. We could on these establishments being there for us during the season and the playoffs to provide us with beer and food at a third the price that we would pay in the arena.... just as much as they count on us showing up. These people have families to support, mortgages to pay, and lives to protect.

We wanted to (as Devil fans) start out Sat Nov 3rd... but I hope fans from each team can reach out to their message boards, make a Facebook group... and get something going.

http://www.facebook.com/NHLFansNightOut <~~~ that's the Devils event page for Devil fans...

Anyway... I hope this idea is well received or at least sparks some discussion.

• 3 weeks later...