Is Marty done?

ghdi

Skill wise? No. Injury wise? Possibly. He is getting injured so much lately that he's not able to get a rhythm going, and this might eventually force him to retire.

this. people forget that he stood on his head against the flyers and in the first period against the kings. I really hope he can recover because I truly believe he gives us the best chance to win

I think he'll keep playing as long as he can perform at what he feels is 100%. If injuries begin to linger and have an impact on his performance to the point where he doesn't feel like he can be at his best anymore, then I think we still start to see him begin considering retirement. That said, I think he will bounce back from this injury just fine. It will likely be a future injury that forces him to call it, as he clearly still has passion for the game and a high competition level.

He still gives the Devils great support when he's in net. He's not the goalie he was in 2003-2007, but I don't think his skills have fallen off precipitously. He'll still win us some games we don't deserve to win, but this is no longer a goalie's league.

Giants fans have a saying: "Eli will be fine."

So will Marty.

The best scenario to me would be that we could get Rinne somehow and that Marty would retire... i dont think he'd stick around as a backup, so that way he could retire while he was still doing alright instead of waiting that he's playing terrible.

i think if Nashville can't resign rinne that we may have a shot... most teams are set in net so i could only really see NJ, Tampa, Ottawa, Phoenix going for him and mayyybe winnipeg, edmonton, columbus...

i would not be in favor of rinne because it's going to require a bryz like deal and you just shouldn't be doing that in this league anymore.

yeah well of course it depend on the asking price... but i'd be willing to throw 5.5/6m at him at least

we just dont know how and when our kids will be playing and Rinne is by far the best goalie that could be available for the next few years, obviously its a gamble but with Brodeur's salary coming off the book its not that bad

The more minor injuries he suffers, the more likely it is that he comes back as a worse player. He's not 'done' - his 2nd half was outstanding, especially his March - but it's something to watch out for. It seemed like 10 years ago, Marty would shake off injuries and refuse to come out of the net. Now they persist for a week or two.

I know this - Brodeur can't get a multi-year deal from NJ.

I hope, after the career he's had, that Marty has the grace to walk into the sunset and not drag out a painful end like Favre or Modano.

it's different for quarterbacks and goalies than it is for position players - modano would've made a fine 4th line center. bryan trottier won 2 stanley cups doing that (

- warning: totally NSFW). but for QBs and goalies, you're either a starter or a backup. but i am pretty sure that brodeur will not want to be a backup, so it depends on how this season shakes out. right now i think it's going to be a 60/40 type split when he comes back. Edited by Triumph

Marty has said himself that this could very well be his last year. He said during the pre-season that he will decide if he wants to keep playing once the season is over, and if he wants to play, he will then find out if Jersey wants him back. I think he's being very realistic and honest about it. He said himself, this current shoulder problem would have been nothing 10 years ago.

Either way I hope his last game is in NJ and he gets a proper good bye.

I've been of the opinion for a few years now that Marty will retire at the end of his current contract, which happens to be this season. If these minor injuries keep up, that makes it all the more likely he'll retire rather than shooting for another year (or more).

(

- warning: totally NSFW).

I looked at this bit and was wondering what this guy had to do with hockey...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=62DcHEyNcaU

But I don't think Marty will insist on hanging around if he isn't on his game. I don't think that's in his personality. He's a living legend, I don't think he'd want that 'stayed too long' hanging over him in retirement. I could be wrong, just my take on it.

Edited by jim777

As you know I dislike Marty Brodeur but I will say that he played a terrific game against the Flyers and the first period against the Kings. He played much better than I thought he would. These injuries are taking there toll on him. His aging process is taking a tool on him. He isn't what he was but still good enough until the Devils develop a strong offense and then they can go with a weaker cheaper goalie. Marty is a legion in his own mind and will never quit. I only hope he is smart enough to go out on top. Hedberg is awesome for the Devils, I would ride him as far as I could. Let Marty bench warm and heal and play backup. Marty you back up the Moose and take over in the last 3rd of the season. Then going into the playoffs we will have some strong goaltending from both, something we haven't had since 2005 in the playoffs.

Don't you like the "I'm OK" from Marty but he doesn't practice and Lou says "Status Quo" re: his injury.

Lets Go Moose.

Edited by LucifersDog

The more minor injuries he suffers, the more likely it is that he comes back as a worse player. He's not 'done' - his 2nd half was outstanding, especially his March - but it's something to watch out for. It seemed like 10 years ago, Marty would shake off injuries and refuse to come out of the net. Now they persist for a week or two.

I know this - Brodeur can't get a multi-year deal from NJ.

Dude, the guy is quasi 40 years old man. 40 years old! You got guys the likes of Skinner, Stamkos, Nugent-Hopkins (and a guy on the team named Adam Larsson too) that were still in training diapers when Marty won his first cup.

Enough is enough. I could care less that they draw comparisons to Dwayne Roloson's 42 years of age. Marty is old and weathered. He may be able to come in a steal a game or two here and there, but he isn't a guy that can play 35-40 games a year anymore and have less than a 2.30 GAA. He's not. I don't give a hoot what anyone says.

Granted, I would love for him to prove me wrong, but let's face it, he's not a machine. He's a human being that ages like everyone else.

Believe it or not, as much as I worship Marty and what he's done for us, I believe he is what's holding this franchise back from moving forward. Kind of like Alessandro Del Piero with Juventus (Serie A soccer team in Italy). They are both team icons, with ownership, management, and fans alike clinging and not wanting to let go. But enough is enough.

Alessandro Del Piero was announced today to be in his LAST SEASON with Juventus at the age of 37. Brodeur should join him.

I hope he goes out with his head held high...I have my fingers crossed.

Edited by Mitico12