CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

Very true,  this is a guy who went home with class.  He actually tugs at the heart strings more than Parise.  We did replace him with a cheaper replacement.  I wish Clarky all the best.  It actually bugs me a little more than Parise because of we picked him up undrafted and he made it.  Devils are known for finding undrafted talent like Greene or Clarkson.  Sucks to see him go, but all the best to Clarky in TOR

Cant hate on this guy. 

Clarkson: "My daughter was born in NJ. Mr. Lamoriello is someone I'd do anything for. I had a coach in Pete DeBoer I grew up with."

You absolutely can! Just insert "So I moved out of New Jersey" to the end of what he's saying and it doesn't sound so heartfelt and sweet anymore

Clarkson: "In my heart, being close to home and wearing that (Tor) jersey meant a lot to me... In my heart this is where I wanted to me."

glad Lou didnt figure out all of that and that he would ask WAY TOO MUCH to even consider keeping him. right?

Oh please, knew something predictably annoying was coming from you on this one. 

Oh wait...let me guess...if only Lou had made him an offer last offseason, then he would've known conclusively that Clarkson would've wanted a 7-year deal worth $36.25 million and could've traded him for something ahead of time so Lou wouldn't be left with nothing.  That's about what you come up with (or some variation of) when you're going into Johnny One-Note mode. 

You absolutely can! Just insert "So I moved out of New Jersey" to the end of what he's saying and it doesn't sound so heartfelt and sweet anymore

Nah, with the possibility of playing at home and a sh!tload of money... Hard to say no. I mean, I know you could probably say the same about Parise, but Clarkson at least didn't pull a BFF out of his butt to sign there and, let's face it - losing Zach was much more devastating for the club, so we were all mad at him. Clarkson you CAN keep, but you don't have to.

Edited by Revan

I can't bad mouth him. He was one of my favorite players. Not for his goals, but for his personality. He played with heart, good personality, just a likeable guy. Sad to see him go, and wish him nothing but the best. And thank god we didn't offer him that contract!

That nicely sums up how I feel about it. He's a good guy. I appreciated his effort with the Devils both on the ice and off. But I'm glad Lou didn't overpay to keep him. No hard feelings.

Per TG

Clarkson said he was unaware Lamoriello had turned page on re-signing him Sunday and hadn't closed door on NJ return til choosing TOR today.

hahaha Lou totally pulled a "no its not you leaving me, its me leaving you" on Clarky

per TG 

Clarkson wouldn't get into specifics said Lamoriello made "a good offer" and a team offered more money than Toronto.

WHAT !?!?!

per TG 

Clarkson wouldn't get into specifics said Lamoriello made "a good offer" and a team offered more money than Toronto.

WHAT !?!?!

No sh!t, right!? It was probably Philly or NYR. Good for him going home and all. It's a shame, cuz he was just getting used to standing on skates.

I can't bad mouth him. He was one of my favorite players. Not for his goals, but for his personality. He played with heart, good personality, just a likeable guy. Sad to see him go, and wish him nothing but the best. And thank god we didn't offer him that contract!

Oh that's way too reasonable for this board. 100% agree.

Oh that's way too reasonable for this board. 100% agree.

+1

I always loved Clarkie; a throwback type of gritty player.   Enjoyed watching him during his time here.  Wish him all the best in Toronto.  I will not boo him on the return.  I feel TOTALLY differently about this departure than Zach's.  Clarkie never gave the lip service quotes that Zach did to dupe the fans.  He got a sh!t ton of money for him and his family, and would be an overpayment for the Devils to match.  I get the hometown factor yet again, and he grew up a Leafs fan, etc. etc.   We all knew it was inevitable.   See ya around Clarkie

I will give Clarkson an applause on his return to the Rock. Cannot deny what a great person David is.

Ditto, I hope the fans don't boo him when he comes in. I wish Clarky the best of luck up there (except when he's playing the Devils obviously). But he'll never live up to that contract. He's set up to fail. Edited by MadDog2020

I'm not gonna boo him but I'm sure as hell not gonna cheer him either. Thanks for all you did Clarkie, but you still left at the first possible opportunity. I won't be mad that people cheer, I just don't see what he did to deserve any sort of ovation.

This actually kind of shocked me: This is the longest contract the Leafs have ever given out. Its just a surprise considering their foolishness those years before the cap. The fact that Clarkson is the longest contract in Leafs history is kinda funny, but a big honor for him considering the history of that club and his ties to Toronto. I dunno if its an omen that the previous record holders of that honor is a tie for 5, which was given to Blake and Komisarek haha.

At the end of the day, I'm legitimately happy for him. This was his chance to make a name for himself and I really appreciated the way he handled the post-signing interviews. I believe him sincerely when he stated his reasonings why he chose Toronto. This was arguably the best move for both sides (us and Clarkson) Had there not been interest from the Leafs, I think he may have been coaxed back. I can't imagine the amount of pressure that he's going to endure in the Toronto hockey market. They're relentless and he needs to perform b/c that fanbase just does a number on some guys. I think the fact he's a hometown boy will help him in some respects as he may get more of a pass than say a European or even a guy from another province would.

I am going to cheer him the first time that I see him, but after that he's just another player and Ill boo him without venom. Cup winning Devils bar Langenbrunner are the majority of the only visiting players bar my favorites on other squads that I cheer/applaud for and even that is just during lineup announcements.