Is the Season a Success?

msweet

How would you measure the season so far?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. This season is now a

• Complete Success
    • A Partial Success
    • Only how far we go will tell
    • A failure unless we win the Cup

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gio sets new Devils goal scroring record.

Gomer starts to shoot the puck (biggest success of the year).

15 game win streak (longest to overlap into the playoffs since the Red Wings in 1955)

Won the atlantic division.

First round sweep of the NY Rags.

Marty Vezina winner???

If we go no further into the playoffs this season is a success. But I feel this team is built to last and they look confident and determinded. I think we have a strong chance of meeting up with Ottawa in the ECF. Let's keep rolling!!!

GO DEVILS!!!

I am calling it a 'complete success' based on when we were in dire straits earlier in the season. At this point I am expecting at least Conference Finals, but they should go to the SCF.

How much a team changes over a week-to-week basis.. damn!

Let's go Devils! :evil:

And so does "they're" instead of "their" (and "isntead" for "instead," for that matter). :giggle:

LOL!! You're going to question grammar and typing capabilities here above emotion? :giggle: FU! The best part about posting, especially on this board is letting the emotions role and forget about the "spelling".

If your going to call out a person based upon "they're" or "their"... you have issues. Let it roll and have some fun!

And so does "they're" instead of "their" (and "isntead" for "instead," for that matter). :giggle:

Jeez, how did I miss that one? Excuse = beer! That stuff irritates me to no end, thanks.

The first poster genuinely seemed to believe that loose was the proper way to spell lose though, seeing as it is repeated throughout the entire post.

:koolaid: The More You Know!

Apologies for being an english major/spelling nazi. I can't quit it. :noclue:

Edited by Cowutopia

I kinda feel like Don does... this thing's been so up and down I kept saying in Game 1 how AMAZED I was that this is the same team we saw in Oct/Nov for the most.... but it's like we're HOT now.. not to compare but they could make a run like the Steelers did in football.. and who knows ??

Lord knows there were enough years they were supposed to stir the sh!t and feel flat in a round or two... I like it better this way... the sky could be the limit but I think the effort in the next round will gauge our season

yeah it's nice we opened a can o'whoop ass on the Rangers... but all that means is a trip to the second round...

we ain't home yet folks!

It has been a really strange season. Thing that pisses me off is the players themselves seem to know they had a better effort in there and just didn't give it earlier in the season, even with the absence of Patrik.

Do I think they could win it??? Ehhhh....anything is possible. But I watched Ottawa last night, guys. The last time NJ played them, no Havlat, no Chara, no Philips. Damn, they are good. Marty would have to be 'The Wonder Goalie of All Wonder Goalies' to get past them, I think, even with Emery in goal for the Sens.

If they wind up in the Conference Finals against Ottawa and put in a good showing, but lose, I'll be sad but think the season was a success. If they somehow wind up there against anyone else they better WIN. And win it ALL. Because I think this team can beat anyone left except the Sens.

Careful, the Senators have fooled many people before into thinking they finally have everything they need to win the cup. Granted I do feel that they have the best chance to come out of the East, but if the NHL was the wizard of Oz... The Senators would be the Scare Crow. If only they had a heart. Every year they end up losing to a team with more heart and whoever is in goal for them doesn't come up with the save they needed.

With that, I don't really see a team that is head above shoulders over everyone else in the playoffs. Every team has some question marks. I'm willing to bet Senator fans are much more afraid of the Devils then we are of the Senators. Even though they finished ahead in the standings, I really thought Detroit took a step back this year. They did great through the regular season but getting past Edmonton was a true test for them and their weaknesses are being exposed.

I really feel that the Stanley Cup is up for grabs for just about anyone. I still feel that we are missing a good player or two from being considered a true cup contender, but there is still a good chance we could be in the Stanley Cup Finals in about a month.

Edited by E-Devil

The Senators replaced a lot of guys with no heart with people who've got it. Some familiar heartless Senators who we knew and loved: Magnus Arvedson, Radek Bonk, Karel Rachunek. Marian Hossa is gone. Jason Spezza is actually playing and dominating. The Rangers stopped being creative in the offensive zone in this series and they got killed. The Senators have 2 PP units like the Devils' top one - all five guys are always moving. The Devils would have a lot of trouble with this - the Rangers were never able to use their speed to hurt the Devils' D because their transition game was awful, mostly because they were also always playing behind. None of the Devils' weaknesses got exposed in the last series - even with 15 straight, the Devils are hardly invincible. There's a lot of bad opposing goalie performances and injured clubs on that list of 15 in a row.

The Sens have Martin Havlat back and he has been the key. He dominated the Lightning by himself in the first round.

I still believe if the Devils get enough pressure we can get to Emery. I don't think he has been challenged yet.

The Sens have the most talent yet. I still don't think Spezza would do much against Madden but their PP is very dangerous.

They have a lot of good role players like Neil, Schaefer and Kelly. Fisher has been very good this year and you can not forget about Vermette. They moved him up on the top line and he has played really well. He has a ton of speed and is very creative. Patrick Eaves has had a great year with them too.

The interesting thing is they traded a fairly large amount for Tyler Arnason and he was terrible. He is done for the year unless they get into injury trouble. He has been a healthy scratch for the last few games of the year and the entire playoffs.

Chara hasn't had a good playoffs at all while Wade Redden has really picked up his play. These guys might as well be competing against each other because the one with the better playoffs will probably be re-signed next year. If the Devils play the Sens, I am not sure how much of a facor Gionta would be since Chara can manhandle him.

I still think the downfall of this team is Emery. He has had some bad games this year and if you get to him, he falls apart. He did have possibly his best game against Jersey in the 3-2 shootout win but I have no faith that he can win them a series. He might not have to though.

Edited by devilsrule33

I thought we could win the cup before the season started, (mostly because of blind optimisum & because we are the devils :P) so i still think the season will be a bit of a failure if we dont win the cup , and you know the players will be thinking the same thing.

WE NEED THE CUP !!!! :evil:

have heard numerous Devs being interviewed the lawt few days, every single 1 said that anything less than a cup is failure...

does not mean its not a great season, just not a successful 1.

This is what LL has built ... cup or bust.. who am I to disagree!!

The season is a COMPLETE success all things considered. The post-season is not yet a success; as our goal is the cup.

However, as a fan, Im happy with the team this season... Providing the devs compete in the round, win or lose, I will not be disapointed in the devs this season as they have gone beyond expectations.

If your asking the cup question, there are 29 failures every season and only 1 team is successful. That is too strict of a standard. I think you base a season off expectations, and the devs have gone well beyond expectations set for them.

LOL!! You're going to question grammar and typing capabilities here above emotion? :giggle: FU! The best part about posting, especially on this board is letting the emotions role and forget about the "spelling".

If your going to call out a person based upon "they're" or "their"... you have issues. Let it roll and have some fun!

I think the comment went over your head. I'm never one to be a prick and point out spelling/grammar errors (though they do bother me), but I had to do it that time because Cow, in his original post, corrected someone else. So, I did it more to point out the irony than be a jackass.

Anyhow, getting back on topic: I'm rooting for Montreal against Carolina in the next two games, because I think Montreal can actually put up a fight against Ottawa in an emotional series, whereas Ottawa would probably make quick work of Philly and probably even the Sabres. Oh, and, I don't really want the Devils to have to open the series on the road.

Edited by Undersold

Tri, you say alot of bad goalie performances and injured clubs?? But you dont mention they beat every team at the top of the conference in that run, INcluding Ottawa Carolina and the Flyers 3 times, and the rags, all of who were ahead of them. Bottom line is you dont win 15 in a row on a gift. Yes there were a few injured teams but the Devils are playing as good or better than any team in the NHL right now. That doesnt mean they are a lock for anything, but I do feel if they play like they have and Marty stays on top of his game... I will take him over Emery or Hasek for that matter any day of the week! Also Ottawa does not have a checking line the likes of Maddog. They are very good and finished no 1 in the conference, but I will say as you did of the Devils they are hardly invincible!!

Let's not get to greedy. For a while there, the Devils were playing horrible and struggling to stay in the playoff hunt. To me, this is all gravy, especially after losing the 2 Scotts, adjusting to the new rules, and losing Larry and gaining Lou.

But, what the hell... LET'S GET GREEEEEDY!!! :burn:

Year in and year out the goal of the New Jersey Devils has been to win the Stanley Cup. Anything short is failure.

This team showed a lot of heart during this season and I am happy, but if they don't win the Cup, I won't feel satisfied and I doubt they would either.

With that said, Go Devils! Win the Cup!

My thoughts exactly! :clap:

oof :giggle:

sorry, it just looked so funny.

I feel like a dork. I pointed this out and I didn't say why I thought it was funny. I wasn't poking fun at the mistype per se, I was thinking, 'That's what the Rangers must have felt about their playoffs. They were playOOFS!' <insert me thinking about Jagr's injury here> I'm truly sorry it looked like I was making fun of a mistype. That would be terribly rude.

Another rude thing: L.L. is making us greedy! Giving us expectations every year!