Ryan O'Reilly Signs Offer Sheet by Flames

thefiestygoat

I'm not a fan...  but if you're going to match, that's how you do it -not the waiting game of will they/wont they.

But still, if you were going to match any offer...  why not just sign him for the cash he wanted and avoid the hard feelings.  

He didn't even lose out on money... signing bonus took care of him.

I'm not a fan...  but if you're going to match, that's how you do it -not the waiting game of will they/wont they.

But still, if you were going to match any offer...  why not just sign him for the cash he wanted and avoid the hard feelings.  

He didn't even lose out on money... signing bonus took care of him.

I think the "hard feelings" stuff is a littler overblown, he plays with his teammates and coaches who have nothing to do with his salary.

Also, it's not like they knew an offer sheet for this amount was going to come in, they were holding out hope for signing him for a lower deal like Subban.

wow... NEVER realized this until it was pointed out.

But let's say the Avs would have not match the offer. Coming back from an injury and on a oneway deal O'reilly had to clear waivers... so he could have been picked up so the Flames would have lost him and lost their picks too. Feaster is an idiot !

wow... NEVER realized this until it was pointed out.

But let's say the Avs would have not match the offer. Coming back from an injury and on a oneway deal O'reilly had to clear waivers... so he could have been picked up so the Flames would have lost him and lost their picks too. Feaster is an idiot !

Yeah, just read that here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/possible-flames-offer-sheet-muck-194000109--nhl.html. I'm a bit confused now though.

Edited by ATLL765

Feaster is an idiot !

I bet most GMs weren't aware of this. Vancouver gave an offer sheet (supposedly) too and Gillis is one of the best GMs in the league. Chalk it up to post CBA confusion. Someone made the point that the Avalanche screwed up by not making this clear in negotiation also (presumably) and using it as leverage to get ROR to sign with them.