Jacob Josefson signed to a one-year deal

RizzMB30

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josefson is the kind of player that's going to flourish in another system if we don't start to give him a legitimate chance, let him grow and I still believe JJ can become a solid 3rd line center for this hockey team

I mean, he hasn't NOT had a legit chance.  He's been oft-injured, but this past season there was no excuse that he didn't play more often when guys like Zubrus, Ryder and Brunner stunk up the ice with their play.  I think Josefson could be better than a 3rd line center if he can start putting up some numbers.  

Edited by RizzMB30

Josefson is the kind of player that's going to flourish in another system if we don't start to give him a legitimate chance, let him grow and I still believe JJ can become a solid 3rd line center for this hockey team

Flourish is a strong word.  He might become a capable 3rd line C elsewhere, but right now the offense just has not been there.  That's really where he has to improve.

I don't like him, as far as I'm concerned, he's a spot filler, nothing more.

For us yes, but he plays too dynamic an offensive game to just be that. I think a change of scenery would be just the thing to allow his consistency to improve. On another team I think he has the ceiling of a second line center. But only time will tell

Nothing about any of his stats, NHL or otherwise, suggest to me that he is a dynamic offensive player. Would ge thrive on another team? Maybe. So they should trade him then, he's done not a thing here in parts of a few seasons.

If he plays a full season this year and he proves himself, I'll say I was wrong.

Ya why do people insist he is a very good player? Injuries suck yes, but I don't really see anything yet to suggest he could be a 2nd line center

I'd argue that it's possible, due to his skating, passing ability, faceoff capabilities, his defensive game.  I think the tools are there.  I will say that he's on a very short leash this year, he's gotta show us something offensively that says he's more than a 4th liner.  I don't understand people who are saying that he would be better or thrive on another team.  If he can't figure the offense out here in Jersey, what makes everything think that he's going to score more in another system.  His stats are lacking but he could still figure it out and maybe still be a John Madden type of player.  His possession numbers aren't terrible and I actually wouldn't mind seeing him play more on the wing with Zajac and Jagr. 

I'm not saying he has a lot of untapped offensive potential but I still think with a consistent role and better linemates his numbers would improve a decent amount. He played a lot with guys like Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Barch, and Janssen the past 2 years and his On-Ice SH% is low (5.88) and some regression would help him. He does a lot of other things well (exiting the zone with possession, great pass accuracy, hardly commits turnovers) that would make him a solid bottom 6 guy even if his offense never comes around.

With that said I don't see a spot for him in NJ with the roster constructed the way it is. I'd hate to see him get "stuck" another year of not playing much. I wonder if they think he'd pass through waivers? Or if they would even care if someone picked him up? It doesn't seem like DeBoer thinks that much of him.

I'm not saying he has a lot of untapped offensive potential but I still think with a consistent role and better linemates his numbers would improve a decent amount. He played a lot with guys like Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Barch, and Janssen the past 2 years and his On-Ice SH% is low (5.88) and some regression would help him. He does a lot of other things well (exiting the zone with possession, great pass accuracy, hardly commits turnovers) that would make him a solid bottom 6 guy even if his offense never comes around.

With that said I don't see a spot for him in NJ with the roster constructed the way it is. I'd hate to see him get "stuck" another year of not playing much. I wonder if they think he'd pass through waivers? Or if they would even care if someone picked him up? It doesn't seem like DeBoer thinks that much of him.

Pretty much. He needs to be given an extended look. Not one game or half a period on the top line, but a real shot. He'd get put back in the lineup and thrown on a line with Cam. What exactly is Pete expecting from him there?

Edited by devilsrule33

I think he has been given opportunity. PDB holds everyone accountable and has a what have you done for me lately way of doing business. I'm pulling for the kid to get it all together. We all know this is last shot.  If he doesn't make it here, I think he's better suited for Swed. elite league. Not the 1st time we've blown a 1st round pick. 

No one doubts that he would have better numbers with better linemates.  His On-Ice SH% is about where it belongs given those linemates and his own shooting (which is awful).  And that's the real issue, he combines a terrible shooting percentage with never shooting, and that's just not going to cut it in the NHL.  

I think he will get a chance with better linemates this year, but still, the offense has to come around.

I think he will get a chance with better linemates this year, but still, the offense has to come around.

I'm still not sure where Josefson will fit in. They have 14 forwards signed with what seems like Carter likely to make it 15. Move out 2 forwards via trade and Josefson still seems out of the starting 12, waiting for an injury to happen to get him into the line up. Then the possibility that if/when injuries occur guys like Boucher or Sislo could get the call up to play over him. I just don't see anyway he gets consistent minutes next year.

I still wonder if he'd make it through waivers. I think he probably would but I don't know how the new owners would feel about paying him a NHL salary to play in the AHL.

amazed the salary hasn't leaked yet.

I may have missed a post that reported this but CapGeek has him on a 1 way deal, $800k/year for 2014-15 and 2015-16.

I'm still not sure where Josefson will fit in. They have 14 forwards signed with what seems like Carter likely to make it 15. Move out 2 forwards via trade and Josefson still seems out of the starting 12, waiting for an injury to happen to get him into the line up. Then the possibility that if/when injuries occur guys like Boucher or Sislo could get the call up to play over him. I just don't see anyway he gets consistent minutes next year.

I still wonder if he'd make it through waivers. I think he probably would but I don't know how the new owners would feel about paying him a NHL salary to play in the AHL.

I may have missed a post that reported this but CapGeek has him on a 1 way deal, $800k/year for 2014-15 and 2015-16.

What makes you think it's likely that Carter will sign with us? Unless he's just waiting for LL to move some forwards, there's really no need to sign him despite Carter being the one member of cbgb that I really wanted to see get signed.

I know it's unlikely, but you could always send Gionta and/or Bernier down, no one is going to claim Bernier, Gionta maybe and call them up when injuries happen or until we hit the deadline

To follow up on center Jacob Josefson re-signing on Tuesday, it is a two-year, one-way contract that pays $800,000 per season. That’s a slight raise for Josefson, who made $725,000 in 2013-14 on a one-year deal. - See more at: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/quenneville-soaking-in-experience-at-devils-camp-gedig-hoping-to-sign-josefson-gets-2-year-deal-1.1053073#sthash.jq4dLIYP.dpuf

Per TG