The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

Good.  They can keep him.

Not ruling that one out yet.  I'd love for him to be re-signed by Montreal before July 1, but I have a feeling he'll be testing the market. 

Now let's work on not bringing the other one back

Maybe Brian can talk him up to the Montreal management...wishful thinking.

Can someone tell me what kind of player Jiri Sekac is? Supposedly we are in the running for him and was just curious what to expect from him

Based on everything I've read he seems like a guy that could turn into a NHL player but I think it's more likely he ends up like a Harri Pesonen - does well in the AHL but never really shows much at the NHL level to stick around. I'm all for adding young talent though, sometimes things work out.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-European-FAs-New-ECHL-Affiliate/45/60344

One of main knocks on Sekac is that he is an unorthodox-looking skater. Although he is not a physical player and could stand to be a little harder on the puck, he has shown a greatly improved "compete level" from the time when he a bust in Peterborough. Sekac is a stronger and more confident player than he was then. He has also developed his two-way game.

Sekac is still young enough to be in an upward development cycle. He does not project as a top-six forward in the NHL but could find a role if he continues to develop and is willing to spend time in the AHL and work his way up from there.

Sekac had a breakout age 21 season, scoring above the 90th percentile in points per game with .596 and just below the 90th percentile in goals per game with .234. (Graphs here) He was 2nd in scoring for HC Lev Praha (Petr Vrana's team) and 14th for U24's in the KHL, 12th in points per game. His KHL ice time by year - 2011-12: 10:48, 2012-13: 8:06, 2013-14: 13:52. Averaged 1.7 shots per game this past year and had a favorable 13.6 SH%. Previously played junior hockey mainly with Youngstown (USHL) from 2009-11 with a brief OHL stint with Peterborough in 2009-10.

Okay smart guy, how many first round picks taken around where Tedenby are drafted become successful NHLers? What's the percentage?

id also love for him to give us his guaranteed star prospect that we should pick at #30 this year. Then in five years we can all come back and laugh when his pick bites the dust as well.

Triumph, on 10 Jun 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

Okay smart guy, how many first round picks taken around where Tedenby are drafted become successful NHLers?  What's the percentage?

Tanner Pearson, Kyle Palmieri, Tyler Toffoli, Vyacheslav Voynov, Max Pacioretty, P.K. Subban, Milan Lucic, Artem Anisimov, Cal Clutterbuck, T.J. Oshie, Paul Stastny, Jonathan Quick, Mike Green, David Krejci, Brandon Prust, Johan Franzen.. just to name a few players all selected after the 24th pick.

A better game is to look at all of the Devils' draft picks since 2003 and count how many of them are still in the NHL (and yes, I know the defense will be "but look at where they've drafted").

Honestly, I hope they knock it out of the ballpark this offseason but to say Lou and Conte have been doing a smash up job at drafting is just...well... you get the point.

Tanner Pearson, Kyle Palmieri, Tyler Toffoli, Vyacheslav Voynov, Max Pacioretty, P.K. Subban, Milan Lucic, Artem Anisimov, Cal Clutterbuck, T.J. Oshie, Paul Stastny, Jonathan Quick, Mike Green, David Krejci, Brandon Prust, Johan Franzen.. just to name a few players all selected after the 24th pick.

A better game is to look at all of the Devils' draft picks since 2003 and count how many of them are still in the NHL (and yes, I know the defense will be "but look at where they've drafted").

Honestly, I hope they knock it out of the ballpark this offseason but to say Lou and Conte have been doing a smash up job at drafting is just...well... you get the point.

This is all incredibly stupid. We get it, Tedenby didn't work out. You stubbornly ignore that he was a highly rated prospect, who, like about half of them don't turn into much. Perhaps you ought to root for Edmonton. They actually haven't had a lot of busts win their first rounders in the past ten years, so obviously they're much better than their record suggests.

I say this a lot, but people like you remind me of a teacher of mine in high school who was also the coach of the swim team. He remarked that it was the easiest job in the world, as all he had to do was yell "swim faster".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daniel, on 11 Jun 2014 - 9:35 PM, said:

This is all incredibly stupid. We get it, Tedenby didn't work out. You stubbornly ignore that he was a highly rated prospect, who, like about half of them don't turn into much. Perhaps you ought to root for Edmonton. They actually haven't had a lot of busts win their first rounders in the past ten years, so obviously they're much better than their record suggests.

I say this a lot, but people like you remind me of a teacher of mine in high school who was also the coach of the swim team. He remarked that it was the easiest job in the world, as all he had to do was yell "swim faster".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I bet he retired with a nice pension.

A better game is to look at all of the Devils' draft picks since 2003 and count how many of them are still in the NHL (and yes, I know the defense will be "but look at where they've drafted").

Awesome.  Did you name a percentage in there?  I sure didn't see one.  You just made a list of players who are good and included Cal Clutterbuck and Brandon Prust on it.

You say all of this but you ignore the fact that Andy Greene and Clarkson were undrafted and yet again.  John Madden, undrafted.  As long as you have a strong presence of guys somewhere in your lineup, you're doing fine.  In the Devils case, its the defense.  Drafting is just one piece of the puzzle.  That's why you're allowed to trade.  I can point to Kovalchuk for evidence here.  Lou gave up very little for a big fish.  As long as the the team is drafting players somewhere in the draft that are becoming NHL'ers(Henrique, Fayne, Merril, Gelinas, Josefson Larsson, Patrik Elias and Zajac), I'm not going to complain too much.  Look at Edmonton and Florida right now.  Consistently getting top picks in the draft but going nowhere.  As a fan, I'd much rather the Devils be in their current position than in either of those situations.  Very rarely is a team composed entirely of the team's own homegrown players.  Chicago and LA have gotten very lucky in recent years but you're especially lucky if the core of your team is all homegrown.  The Devils had that in 2012 before FA's started to peace out. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Awesome. Did you name a percentage in there? I sure didn't see one. You just made a list of players who are good and included Cal Clutterbuck and Brandon Prust on it.

Ok brah! I'll have that percentage worked out by EOD! It's at the top of my list of things to do today.

I was messing around on CapGeek and I discovered that it's going to be nigh impossible to sign Paul Stasny, Fayne, and a capable backup as long as Zubrus, Ryder, or Brunner, and Ruutu are in the lineup.  If Stasny is signed at a 7m/year deal and Mark Fayne brought back at 2.3/year, which likely won't be enough for Fayne.  Even if the Devils use their compliance buyout on Volchenkov, I think the cap might become a problem if Stasny is signed here.

What's the most you would want Fayne to be paid?  Schneider?  How much would you pay a backup?  I wouldn't give Fayne more than 3.5m/year, Schneider no more than 7.5/year (and that's pushing it), and I wouldn't want a backup being paid more than 2/year

Edited by RizzMB30

I was messing around on CapGeek and I discovered that it's going to be nigh impossible to sign Paul Stasny, Fayne, and a capable backup as long as Zubrus, Ryder, or Brunner, and Ruutu are in the lineup.  If Stasny is signed at a 7m/year deal and Mark Fayne brought back at 2.3/year, which likely won't be enough for Fayne.  Even if the Devils use their compliance buyout on Volchenkov, I think the cap might become a problem if Stasny is signed here.

realistically we are not going to get stastny any way.. there is no way he would choose to come here over some of the other teams that im sure will be an option to him, and on top of that im sure lou will not be a competitor in the bidding war that will go down for him..

realistically we are not going to get stastny any way.. there is no way he would choose to come here over some of the other teams that im sure will be an option to him, and on top of that im sure lou will not be a competitor in the bidding war that will go down for him..

honestly right now I think there's a better chance that kovalchuk is in a devils sweater next year than stastny... And theres like less than 1% chance that is happening.

i mean i would like to see him on the team i think we would be a great addition but we never get big money ufa's like that. Once again we will most likely do nothing overly exciting this off season

I don't know about that, I agree we likely won't sign any big free agents, as that is Lou's way, but who thought we would sign Jaromir Jagr at the end of the last offseason?

i mean i would like to see him on the team i think we would be a great addition but we never get big money ufa's like that. Once again we will most likely do nothing overly exciting this off season

The Devils traded for Cory Schneider last off-season and signed Jaromir Jagr.  The off-season before, they didn't do much, but the owner was busy sneaking up on and stealing street musicians' guitar cases + the loose change and small bills within.  The off-season before that, they did very little, but they didn't have to do anything.  Off-season before that, they dealt for Jason Arnott, signed 2 UFA D, and signed Ilya Kovalchuk.  Anyway NJ does plenty of exciting things in the offseason, they just haven't had a lot to trade with the last few years.

The Devils traded for Cory Schneider last off-season and signed Jaromir Jagr.  The off-season before, they didn't do much, but the owner was busy sneaking up on and stealing street musicians' guitar cases + the loose change and small bills within.  The off-season before that, they did very little, but they didn't have to do anything.  Off-season before that, they dealt for Jason Arnott, signed 2 UFA D, and signed Ilya Kovalchuk.  Anyway NJ does plenty of exciting things in the offseason, they just haven't had a lot to trade with the last few years.

Tell 'Em Steve-Dave!

Where do we think Ryan Kesler wants to/will go?  I'd much rather have a Kesler than Spezza.  Unlikely the Devils do it, but maybe the Canucks are backed into a corner a little bit here.  Kesler has asked for a trade and submitted his 6 teams that he would goto.  That's not a lot of flexibility.  I would imagine, NYR, Boston, Boston, maybe Tampa?  It's rumored that Anaheim and Philly are on his list.  God I hope he doesn't end up in Philly.

FWIW, Josefson's agent is negotiating with NJ: http://www.hockeysverige.se/2014/06/13/dodar-adam-larsson-ryktet-vi-pratar-med-devils/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Lamoriello also has to make a decision regarding Swedish center Jacob Josefson's future. The 23-year-old only played 27 NHL games for the Devils the past season, but Martin Nilsson at Josefson's agency Alterno Management says to hockeysverige.se that discussions are being held between the parties"

I suppose this is, still, just par for the course regarding players w/o contracts.