Kovalchuk was awesome in Devils red

NJayDevil

Screw all the nay sayers. He deserves is own individual recognition.

He was the 2nd best forward out there behind Zubrus all series. He tried his butt off and either he got a point or Boucher made some good saves. He tried, but when linemates like Jamie Langenbrunner and Travis Zajac are absolutely no where to be found for another New Jersey Devils playoff series, he did the absolute best anyone could with 6 points in 5 games. If all our key guys play with the fire he had, we wouldn't be out of the playoffs right now.

He probably isn't back, but very much enjoyed his time here.

Thanks Kovie for at least giving me excitement! Excitement during the worst playoff performance I've ever, EVER witnessed since being a fan since the age of 8. Ever.

The rest of the team outside of Kovie, Zubrus, Greene and Marty can all put a finger up their own ass for failing to show up in the playoffs yet again (Specifically Travis Zajac, Jamie Langenbrunner, Paul Martin, and, I hate to say it but it's true, Zach Parise). Zajac and Langenbrunner were the worst of them. Paul Martin too, if he wants more than $3.5 million he can definitely go somewhere else. He is not the 2nd coming of Scott Neidermayer, not even close.

Parise needed a center to play with during the playoffs...his size was also an issue

Kovy was very determined but he was here to put shots in the net and as much as I love the guy he never really got it together...that said I'd love for him to be in this team's future plans even knowing that's not in the best interest of Kovy

everything else is true especially about Zubrus

Maybe Lou can trade his negotiating rights for another pick or a decent player. If Florida can get a 3rd round pick and Jordan Leopold for Bouwemeester (somehow forgot to put that at first :doh1:), I wonder what someone would give up for Kovy's rights...

Edited by RSC

I'd love to see you back next season Ilya, but I'll understand if you choose to move on. I think we all appreciate the effort you put in even if many of your teammates were unable to take this series as seriously as a preseason game.

After seeing tonight's game I gotta disagree with the effort thing. This team tried...they were outmatched.

Kovy certainly played his tail off. He's an electrifying player of amazing talent and it was clearly evident with the moves he put on throughout the season.

I certainly would love to see how he fairs in a complete, non-Olympic interrupted season as a Devil.

LL banked on players like Marty, Scott Stevens, Niedermayer, and Elias when dishing out "large" contracts in years past. He knew they had "something special" when he signed them long term.

Kovy isn't any different. On the flipside, Kovy needs to sacrifice a bit to be part of "something special"...sure, he can go to the Islanders, Panthers, Oilers...whomever, but with the money he wants, every team may have a difficult time giving him reinforcements to make a prolonged run in the playoffs...

The trade-off for a smaller, but generous contract is a competitive team.

If the Devils can't re-sign Kovy, they need to go out and get a "franchise D-man" or, trade for character, proven forwards the likes of Iginla, Eric Staal, or, even take a gamble on a center like Jason Spezza.

MY MESSAGE TO KOVY=

Pack your bags, move your family to Jersey! Come back and remember, money rots in the bank, but your success will live forever once engraved on the Stanley Cup! Just look at fellow countryman Roman Abramovich...all the money in the world can't buy him a Champions League title for Chelsea!

I know this probably means next to nothing but,

Left wing Ilya Kovalchuk said he enjoyed his experience playing for the Devils and was “open to anything,” but stopped short of saying he definitely would re-sign with the team following a season-ending 3-0 loss to the Flyers tonight at Prudential Center.

“I love everything here,” Kovalchuk said. “I think it’s a great organization. I appreciate (general manager Lou Lamoriello) giving me a chance to play here. It was a great experience. I played with some great players. I loved it. So, we all know it’s a business. I’m open to anything.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/kovalchuk_open_to_re-signing_with_devils_lemaire_still_loves_coaching/

Edited by nyrsuck26

Not worth the money he's going to command. The experiment failed, it's time to move on. He doesn't fit here, and I don't believe he ever would.

You may want to blame the coach for line shuffling and not enabling Kovalchuk to find a rhythm with linemates, fine. You can make the argument.

I don't want him here. His focus is fleeting and he has spells of lazy and careless play. Ability in spades, but it's just not good enough IMO.

Not worth the money he's going to command. The experiment failed, it's time to move on. He doesn't fit here, and I don't believe he ever would.

You may want to blame the coach for line shuffling and not enabling Kovalchuk to find a rhythm with linemates, fine. You can make the argument.

I don't want him here. His focus is fleeting and he has spells of lazy and careless play. Ability in spades, but it's just not good enough IMO.

First, he hasn't commanded anything yet.

Second, the fitting thing is precisely the problem. That Devils hockey should be in the past and make way (finally) for new ways of playing. If we keep bouncing people that don't fit the system, the system will never change.....and the damn system keeps failing in the playoffs.

First, he hasn't commanded anything yet.

Second, the fitting thing is precisely the problem. That Devils hockey should be in the past and make way (finally) for new ways of playing. If we keep bouncing people that don't fit the system, the system will never change.....and the damn system keeps failing in the playoffs.

It's OK to change your style, but we don't need Kovalchuk to do it.

This is slightly off-topic, but I think it's lame that Kovalchuk gets no blame for how mediocre-to-bad the Thrashers were when he was there. What's up with that? People just count up the goals and assume he wasn't part of the problem.

He's not a winner and he's not a leader, and for $8 million, he has to be.

PASS.

Edited by Jerrydevil

It's OK to change your style, but we don't need Kovalchuk to do it.

This is slightly off-topic, but I think it's lame that Kovalchuk gets no blame for how mediocre-to-bad the Thrashers were when he was there. What's up with that? People just count up the goals and assume he wasn't part of the problem.

He's not a winner and he's not a leader, and for $8 million, he has to be.

PASS.

He definitely doesn't strike me as a leader.

Ovechkin couldn't have won in Atlanta though.

This is the key. The sooner the upper management realizes this the closer they will be to another cup. With brodeur having a few seasons left and no superstar goaltender to replace him the team needs to be rebuilt on offense. Add a center, add a top 3 Dman and resign kovy. Dont know how in the hell to do it but Lou can find a way. idk i just have some feeling in the back of my mind they will resign him. If zubrus can play the way he played the end of this series with those 3 additions and a more offensive minded coach this team is a sure contender. THere is too much friggen talent on this team. They need to find a way to dump dorn. As much as i dont want to, use clarkson as traid bait for a Dman, he is replaceable. Not sure who is out there for centers but the 1 mill deal the rags got for prospal make out neidermucker contract look like a retard pulled it off. I think he had like 20 goals 30 A on the rangers. Where the hell were we on that one.

I too really really hope Kovalchuk stays. This is a really good team and with a couple tweaks can be a great team. If anything else Game 2 should have proved that to any naysayers.

Kovy brought speed and skill and more importantly, a threat to score every time he was out there. And that keeps teams on their heels and allows other players to make something happen. They just didn't this playoffs.

But I sincerely believe that a full season with Kovalchuk could produce some awesome things for us.

And of course some other changes as well.