The Schneider and Marty disparity.

Mike Brown

I think it's been wayyyyy too long to keep calling this a "coincidence".

The season is only a quarter over.  It has not been a long time.  Crazy sh!t can happen over the course of a full season on occasion, but I think this is going to even out as this season goes on.  Hopefully last night was the beginning of that. 

It's luck, nothing more.  Goalies don't sustain this throughout their careers.

I'm curious if there has been a test for this. Is it possible to look at Marty's Corsi or shots per game (or whatever similar metric) vs. various backup goalie metrics?

Edit:

Here are the Shorts For/Against % (shots Devils took divded by shots opponents took)

Year Marty Backup Diff

2013-14 0.512 0.531 -0.019

2012-13 0.547 0.532 +0.015

2011-12 0.501 0.505 -0.004

2010-11 0.532 0.499 +0.033

2009-10 0.513 0.533 -0.020

2008-09 0.502 0.555 -0.053

*Interestingly enough, we seem to be carrying the play more when Schneider is in net, at least as far as shot breakdown goes. When Schneider is playing we average 26 shots on net and 23 against. Compared to Brodeur with 25 shots on net and 24 against. 

Note: score effects causing this? Chicken and the egg

Edited by StormJosh

It's pretty ridiculous. I don't think these guys let things like that get in their heads like it gets in ours. Especially when the team is winning despite how they looked last night.

It definitely gets into their heads. We hear guys in slumps all the time talking about 'squeezing their sticks' or 'being snakebit' and things like that. The winning is good, the locker room is definitely happier as a whole. But when every reporter that walks into the room after a 1-0 loss asks why you can score for one goalie and not the other, it can build a little pressure up to perform. Again, nothing long term. Just a little nuance to that they have to shake off.

It's like those too many men penalties we got at the beginning of Lemaire's first season back. Everyone made a big deal out of it, so it became a bigger deal than it was.

I think everyone's covered all the points I was going to make... but I'll make them anyway! Here are the issues in order of importance:

1. Puck handling adjustment - Marty starts the rush going the other way which has an impact on the offence. I feel like there's been some confusion with Cory and the defencemen as to is supposed to do what. It's led to a goal against early in the season and the team being pinned in their own end. Last night this was not an issue that I noticed so hopefully it's getting better.

2. Opponents - Pittsburgh, Vancouver twice, Toronto, LA twice... Those are good teams offensively and defensively. 

3. Team gripping their sticks - After it became a trend I think the team wanted to score too much and were gripping their sticks.

4. Luck - As a lot of people mentioned, luck has no doubt played a factor.

I just think it's awesome the way that these two goalies seem to be pushing each other to higher levels, even if it's happening unconsciously.

Obviously Cory will never be able to live up to Marty's career, but perhaps during his time on the bench during Marty's starts in net he is able to learn some things from his future Hall-of-Fame teammate -- some tricks of the trade.

And maybe Marty, being the proud professional he always has been throughout his long tenure in the Devils net, is inspired to regain and maintain his high level of play even longer than previously thought due to him watching the new young netminder bringing his A game night in and night out.

Who knows how long it lasts, but most recently it sure has been fun to witness.

I think this is it, pretty much. I also don't think it's a coincidence Schneider has gotten the tougher starts.

Regardless, I still think the Devils don't play as aggressive of a system with Schneider in net.  They seem to be more tentative.  I do think it'll all even out in the end though.

Regardless, I still think the Devils don't play as aggressive of a system with Schneider in net.  They seem to be more tentative.  I do think it'll all even out in the end though.

it will clearly even out theyre not going to play like crap in front of him every single game for the rest of his contract here.. i think they still have to get use to him as well and how he works and handles the puck.. i bet its just more of a comfort thing.. the guy is a brick wall every night its nothing hes doing wrong.

it will clearly even out theyre not going to play like crap in front of him every single game for the rest of his contract here.. i think they still have to get use to him as well and how he works and handles the puck.. i bet its just more of a comfort thing.. the guy is a brick wall every night its nothing hes doing wrong.

I just hope Schneider stays with us after next year.  He's already a fan favorite, and if Lou lets him walk, god help us.

I just hope Schneider stays with us after next year.  He's already a fan favorite, and if Lou lets him walk, god help us.

if they dont learn him a little better and start performing for him how they do with marty i honestly think it could be a problem... you know how frustrating that has got to be for this guy.. you almost feel bad

I just hope Schneider stays with us after next year. He's already a fan favorite, and if Lou lets him walk, god help us.

I think that if LL gives him the money he deserves, he'll stay. He looks like he's enjoying it, he'll have a secured number 1 spot, NJ will have a solid D (Larsson,Gelly,Merril,Santini etc.) and offense can be worked on in FA or with new prospects. I believe he stays long-term (4-5-6 years) with us.

Edited by Devs3cups

I think that if LL gives him the money he deserves, he'll stay. He looks like he's enjoying it, he'll have a secured number 1 spot, NJ will have a solid D (Larsson,Gelly,Merril,Santini etc.) and offense can be worked on in FA or with new prospects. I believe he stays long-term (4-5-6 years) with us.

I wouldn't be penciling Santini into anything right now. Bit early for that. I agree with you on principle though. I think with the D prospects we got, things would have to go pretty badly for us to not end up with at least 1 more NHL quality defenseman.

Whats Kieth Kinkaids future with this team? Is he strong enough to be an NHL starter in a few seasons? It looks like he's having a strong season this year in the AHL

I actually like Kinkaid more than I like Wedgewood.  I think both can be good starting goalies in this league.  Goalies are such a crapshoot anyways.

I actually like Kinkaid more than I like Wedgewood.  I think both can be good starting goalies in this league.  Goalies are such a crapshoot anyways.

Shrug. As long as one's an ok backup that's more than we need w/ Schneider here for the foreseeable future (assuming he signs)

There is truth to the fact that Marty is 10 better at puck handling than Schneider, but that should really only account for a bad break out (which I'm not saying there is, I'm just saying a goalie that doesn't play pucks aggressively would cause that to happen) but once they enter the offensive zone, it doesn't matter who is 200 feet behind them in net. Just a fluke thing, reminds me of when Johan got no run support from the Mets in '08. Snakebitten

@Ledger_NJDevils Cory Schneider says he's frustrated not to be playing. "It's like Ground Hog Day for me."

@Ledger_NJDevils schneider was in this situation in Vancouver. "I can't seem to escape it"

Per TG - Schneider said he's "very surprised" and "frustrated" he's not playing, but made point of saying Brodeur is playing well.

Well there you go. 

Godamnit i feel bad for the guy. He played poorly enough to lose a game maybe once, yet it's simply not working for him

Edited by SterioDesign