Photo

Thrashers' rollercoaster ride hurtling toward Winnipeg?

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#41 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:24 AM

If Winnipeg's getting a team then Quebec better get one soon. That's a lot more viable market than Winnipeg.

It would have been nice if Atlanta had just one real contending team to see how the fans responded, but given how the Atlanta fans are with their other sports teams I can't say it's a great sports town for anything.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 20 May 2011 - 06:26 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#42 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

The NHL has even put the "report" on their website.
http://www.nhl.com/i...od-rr-headlines

Normally, they are so late posting news, that this pretty much confirms it's getting done.

I wonder if Bettman regrets holding onto Phoenix for another year. Now he has the re-alignment headache to deal with. Phx>Wpg. & Atl>QC both this year would've kept a West-West and East-East switch simpler than it will be now.

#43 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

My fault for reading article comments, but seeing a lot of people being less than gracious over getting the team.

You'd think after going through it before you'd see a little more sympathy.

#45 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

I hate this sense of entitlement that Canadians have that they should have a team. Ive said it before, i'll say it again: A team in Winnipeg adds nothing, in terms of money and growth of the game, for the league. It gives the league a wasted TV ratings/revenue spot if winnipeg is in the playoffs. Its sad that if Atlanta had a good team we wouldnt even be having this conversation. Its nothing to do with their market or fan base, just that the team isnt, and hasnt been, good.

Edited by devlman, 20 May 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#46 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

I hate this sense of entitlement that Canadians have that they should have a team.

Me too, and to an extent, I understand that sense of entitlement.

What I hate more is what I see as be-littling people who are also fans of the game. I give credit to fan-bases that have taken hold from scratch in non-traditional markets in 15 or so years w/o the help of generations of fan-dome.

I get why this is likely to happen & realize its easier for people to troll than have constructive dialog. But still, for some people, this is like a family member dying. Lay off

#47 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

Me too, and to an extent, I understand that sense of entitlement.

What I hate more is what I see as be-littling people who are also fans of the game. I give credit to fan-bases that have taken hold from scratch in non-traditional markets in 15 or so years w/o the help of generations of fan-dome.

I get why this is likely to happen & realize its easier for people to troll than have constructive dialog. But still, for some people, this is like a family member dying. Lay off

I completey agree. You would think Canadians would stop with the stereotyped be-littling of other fan bases as they themselves have gone thru the prospect of losing a team. Yes, Atlanta and Phx are southern, but thats not why they are not drawing people. (Its funny how Columbus is never mentioned as relocation candidates, and how the Isles arent mentioned enough.)

I hope the NHL doesnt turn into the NBA with franchises moving all the time anytime theres a lousy team on the ice and poor management. I give Bettman a lot of credit for giving these teams every chance to turn things around.

#48 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

I hate this sense of entitlement that Canadians have that they should have a team. Ive said it before, i'll say it again: A team in Winnipeg adds nothing, in terms of money and growth of the game, for the league. It gives the league a wasted TV ratings/revenue spot if winnipeg is in the playoffs. Its sad that if Atlanta had a good team we wouldnt even be having this conversation. Its nothing to do with their market or fan base, just that the team isnt, and hasnt been, good.

First off, I am very proud of my heritage being from Canada. I am extremely proud to be Canadian. However, like you stated, there are many who have this chip on their shoulders when it comes to hockey. Like you stated, a team in Winnipeg doesnt effect anything. I would have rather seen a team from either of the Dakotas or Montana or even Alaska for that matter, not saying that it would work and there would be a big fan base though there.

I understand why they are super happy about this and everything being that Hockey is a huge part of their lives, but simmer down a tad. The team is not going to take the cup first season in. Its unrealistic.

On a side note, how does a new franchise go about putting a team together and a roster. Where do the players come from?

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#49 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

First off, I am very proud of my heritage being from Canada. I am extremely proud to be Canadian. However, like you stated, there are many who have this chip on their shoulders when it comes to hockey. Like you stated, a team in Winnipeg doesnt effect anything. I would have rather seen a team from either of the Dakotas or Montana or even Alaska for that matter, not saying that it would work and there would be a big fan base though there.

I understand why they are super happy about this and everything being that Hockey is a huge part of their lives, but simmer down a tad. The team is not going to take the cup first season in. Its unrealistic.

On a side note, how does a new franchise go about putting a team together and a roster. Where do the players come from?

Well they are just taking the Thrashers roster. In the case of a new franchise they do an expansion draft. Here's how it worked last time.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#50 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

For relocation it would be the same players. For an expansion team they have an expansion draft. Not sure if this is what you were asking.

#51 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

For relocation it would be the same players. For an expansion team they have an expansion draft. Not sure if this is what you were asking.

Yes this is what I was asking thanks guys. I dont know why I didnt realize the roster in Atlanta is just going to stay the same. :rolleyes:

Edited by Quinn01, 20 May 2011 - 11:49 AM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#52 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Yes this is what I was asking thanks guys. I dont know why I didnt realize the roster in Atlanta is just going to stay the same. :rolleyes:

I think all the organizational structure including farm teams would remain, and they would adjust it in the future, if need be.

#53 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

Well I guess it is official the Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg according to Kypreos via TG

Edited by MantaRay, 20 May 2011 - 12:40 PM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#54 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

Are they gonna be the winnipeg thrashers or the winnipeg jets (if this move does happen)

i was wondering the phoenix coyotes have the rights to the jets name since they originally moved to phoenix

#55 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

I doubt they would call themselves the Jets since the old Jets are a different franchise that still exists. I wouldn't mind if they remained the Thrashers, I just hope they don't come out with something ridiculous like the Killer Snails or some new age futuristic team name like the Power or something.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#56 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

i think if they move, they should at least get the draft pick moved up to make up for the fvck ups of atlanta gms.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#57 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

They should go back to the Jets in spite of the fact that the original franchise moved to Phoenix.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#58 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

Are they gonna be the winnipeg thrashers or the winnipeg jets (if this move does happen)

i was wondering the phoenix coyotes have the rights to the jets name since they originally moved to phoenix

Rumor has it they won't be the Jets. The Jets name is owned by the former owner, and apparently the new owner won't give him a dime. More than likely, the Manitoba or Winnipeg Falcons, after the team that won the Olympic Gold for Canada in 19wheneverthehell.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#59 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

WINNIPEG'S ENTRANCE TO NHL REQUIRES SUPPORT OF MOST OWNER

Even if the Thrashers end up in Winnipeg prior to next season, the team would likely spend the year in the Southeast Division before potentially being shifted prior to the 2012-13 season.

That would be crazy

#60 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

"Just a matter or time" now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366351

EDIT: Here's some interesting comments from current and former players: http://espn.go.com/b...tting-thrashers

Edited by nyrsuck26, 20 May 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users