347 replies to this topic

#281 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:19 PM

Here's the truth Don: they WERE better than us. All three. But the Senators didn't have the sack to beat us and fell asleep for the first four games. By the time they woke up, the series was almost over.

We got all the right matchups in the playoffs last year. I don't think we win if we had to play Philadelphia and Ottawa. But that's a whole other discussion.

Write this down folks.

Triumph is clearly saying that we didn't deserve last years cup and other teams were better than we were. Let's give it back.... all the championship gear at all.. send it over to Philly. They were clearly the better team.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#282 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:21 PM

Let's say we get the 6 seed. That means we play either Toronto or Philly in the first round. I do not think we can beat either of those teams 4 of 7 in round 1 especially of Primeau and Roenick come back for Philly.

Pete, deadline day 2003:
"Now I would say that Toronto, Philly and Ottawa are all clearly better than us in the East."

It's kinda nice that some things never change...

Don, I still think Toronto or Philly would have beaten us if we had to play them in the first round (when they played each other) and Ottawa damn near did beat us. It is not a real stretch to say they were better than us last year but we were luckier in the end.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#283 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,790 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:21 PM

Nonsense. We got the same kind of luck every Cup champion does.

But we can't bank on that luck this year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#284 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:23 PM

"clearly better"
"near did beat us"
"clearly better"
"near did beat us"

Synonyms I guess.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#285 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:26 PM

What Triumph is trying to say is that the East is thoroughly stacked, and if we do go to the Finals, it will be the bloodiest, most hard-fought, most maniacal path to a Finals ever for us...........

Im not knocking my Devils.....Im just being a realist......

The Flyers Sens Leafs Lightning Bruins and maybe the Canadiens are better than us......period.

Last year, the Sens were the only ones just as good as us......

BIG DIFFERENCE

And btw, Until Scott Stevens comes back and plays a game, he cannot be counted on to come back......
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#286 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:27 PM

What Triumph is trying to say is that the East is thoroughly stacked, and if we do go to the Finals, it will be the bloodiest, most hard-fought, most maniacal path to a Finals ever for us...........

Im not knocking my Devils.....Im just being a realist......

The Flyers Sens Leafs Lightning Bruins and maybe the Canadiens are better than us......period.

Last year, the Sens were the only ones just as good as us......

BIG DIFFERENCE

And btw, Until Scott Stevens comes back and plays a game, he cannot be counted on to come back......

AMEN
Posted Image

#287 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:27 PM

The main reason we were able to beat Ottawa was because they had to play a tough series against Philly in the second round while we walked over Boston and Tampa.

This year, I'd still say we are better than Boston but below Ottawa, Philly, Toronto and prolly Tampa too.

I am also somewhat scared that Don saves his e-mails from over a year...

Edited by PeteyNice, 09 March 2004 - 04:29 PM.

"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#288 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,790 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

coldply, the problem is you're saying on paper these teams are better. What we do know is that we have the best goalie in the game in Brodeur. The Leafs, Senators, Bruins, and Flyers goaltending situations are up in the air. To say the Canadiens are better is laughable, even on paper they aren't, and they have guys like Riberio, Ryder, and Souray who are sure to come back to earth.

Stevens is coming back, that much is clear. Lou isn't making moves for Kozlov and Hrdina for next season, he's making them this year. I know you want to cover your ass for the 'Stevens will retire' thing you were on about, but I'd bet money he plays the first playoff game.

Edited by Triumph, 09 March 2004 - 04:29 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#289 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

Okay I think the deals are done.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#290 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:32 PM

Stevens is no guarantee to come back!! And even if he does, hes not going to be the Scott Stevens we know and love....

And yes, the Kozlov and Hrdina deals were for this year, but predominantly they were made for the future as well, with the lack of centers in our system and Madden as a UFA....

And for your information, my retirement for Stevens post was in regards to his own comments about the lockout, and he said that if he has trouble coming back, he will just retire........
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#291 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

Wow, I don't know if I would go that far. Clearly we are not a clear-cut favorite, but the only teams I flat out give the nod to, are the Sens and the Lightning.

IF Stevens comes back and can play at 100%, and that's a big IF, then I think the Devs have as good a shot as any of the teams in the East.

Raycroft, Lalime, Esche, even Burke, and Khabi have some things to prove in the second season.

We'll see, I guess, but I would not write the Devs off this early...

chris
"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

#292 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:35 PM

coldply, the problem is you're saying on paper these teams are better. What we do know is that we have the best goalie in the game in Brodeur. The Leafs, Senators, Bruins, and Flyers goaltending situations are up in the air. To say the Canadiens are better is laughable, even on paper they aren't, and they have guys like Riberio, Ryder, and Souray who are sure to come back to earth.

Stevens is coming back, that much is clear. Lou isn't making moves for Kozlov and Hrdina for next season, he's making them this year. I know you want to cover your ass for the 'Stevens will retire' thing you were on about, but I'd bet money he plays the first playoff game.

thank you triumph.

people here can say all they want that brodeur needs the defense and the system helps him.

the fact is, he is in every team's head before they even get on the ice in the playoffs.

toroto; beat them
belfour; beat him
ottawa; beat them
lalime; beat him
tampa; beat them
khabibulin; chased him
philly; beat them...repeatedly
burke; beat him
boston; beat them

see the pattern? Marty has beaten all of them. He is in their heads and that is a HUGE advantage. I will not say any of these teams beat us until they actually do beat us.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#293 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:36 PM

Im not entirely writing the Devils off........

BUT.......Im giving my analysis of the situation........And I dont feel comfortable.....

#294 JesterDevil

JesterDevil

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:36 PM

One word: Brodeur.

#295 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:37 PM

Flyers beat the Devils twice this week and we will see who is in whose head.
Posted Image

#296 JesterDevil

JesterDevil

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:38 PM

Uh, regular season is way different then playoffs.

#297 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Have any of you actually watched Devils games against the Leafs, Bruins, Lightning, Canadiens, and even the Flyers at times this season.....??

Our record against playoff bound teams in the Eastern Conference since late November alone is abysmal......something like 5-11-2-1

#298 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Not a "glass is half full" guy, eh? :D

chris
"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

#299 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:39 PM

True but it wont be as big a factor as you think it is now.
Posted Image

#300 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:39 PM

Tonight will be a great measuring stick.........Flyers are a very deep team, I question their chemistry, but I do not question Hitchcocks abilities as a coach....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users