1524 replies to this topic

#1061 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Montreal lost Hamrlik and Wisniewski and added Cole. Don't exactly see how they improved.

Also LOL at Philly improving.

Montreal, with an average season from Price, may drop to 9 or 10 in the conference. I just don't see many of their forwards getting any better.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#1062 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Cogs to Ducks for a 2nd in 2013...good deal for both teams imo

Sucks that he never panned out for EDM though

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1063 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,572 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Montreal, with an average season from Price, may drop to 9 or 10 in the conference. I just don't see many of their forwards getting any better.

this i don't think either, i think price is very good and i think pacioretty, eller, and subban can definitely get better. i mean, they could drop, certainly, but i don't think they will. we'll see - someone's got to clear out for NJ.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1064 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

this i don't think either, i think price is very good and i think pacioretty, eller, and subban can definitely get better. i mean, they could drop, certainly, but i don't think they will. we'll see - someone's got to clear out for NJ.

I think a lot of folks around here are expecting some sort of continuation of post-Jan 2011 consistent play (plus Parise) for NJ (and are basing predictions on the memory of that streak)....

..... I also think a lot of folks are going to be disappointed when that doesn't happen.

Not saying they will be bad - but with a new coach it will take time for them to find themselves again.

Edited by DevilinLA, 12 July 2011 - 01:19 PM.

Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#1065 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

I think a lot of folks around here are expecting some sort of continuation of post-Jan 2011 consistent play (plus Parise) for NJ (and are basing predictions on the memory of that streak)....

..... I also think a lot of folks are going to be disappointed when that doesn't happen.

Not saying they will be bad - but with a new coach it will take time for them to find themselves again.

Agreed. We kind of popped and fizzled towards the end of of the season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#1066 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,391 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Also LOL at Philly improving.

You will learn.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1067 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

You will learn.

Thank You, Yoda.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#1068 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,572 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

I don't really think so. Even if the new coach is Therrien, I expect the Devils to roll right out of the gate. Did it take the team a long time to find themselves under Julien, Sutter, and Lemaire? No.

#1069 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

We don't know if it's going to be a 'new' coach yet :lol:

But I think it's quite reasonable to expect that the first half last year under MacLean and with a poisoned room was the abberation and that the Devils should get back to the 100-point regular season level this year since they were at that level every year the previous decade and played above that level in the second half last year.

Especially when you factor in kids like Josefson, Tedenby, Palmeri, Fayne and Taormina having more experience under their belts and yes a healthy Zach makes a difference, we may get two players back next year since Zajac was non-existent offensively without him last year too :P

I don't really think so. Even if the new coach is Therrien, I expect the Devils to roll right out of the gate. Did it take the team a long time to find themselves under Julien, Sutter, and Lemaire? No.

Well they were 3-6-1 under Sutter but that was mostly the marathon road trip. They are quite used to adjusting to new coaches on the fly.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 July 2011 - 04:03 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1070 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

This is so true.

As for Philly not improving, they did lose Richards and Carter but Briere, Giroux, Jagr, VR, Pronger, Lilja, Bryz, etc. is still a extremeley strong core, maybe not as 'star' defined but without a doubt a threat.

For fun lets look at the Devils past 4 trades(as I remember)...

NJ:David Steckel, 2nd round pick
Washington: Jason Arnott

NJ:2nd rounder
Dallas:Jamie Langenbrunner

NJ:Jason Arnott
Nashville:2nd round pick, Matt Halichuk

NJ:Anssi Salmela, Ilya Kovalchuk
Winnipeg:1st rounder, Patrice Cormier, Johnny Oduya, Nicklas Bergfors

Currently In:Steckel, Salmela, Kovalchuk,

Out:Arnott, Langenbrunner, Cormier, Oduya, Bergfors, Halichuk, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder

Looking back Lou has made major shakeups along with signing Moose, Kovy, Tallinder, Volchenkov but we still don't look majorly improved from past playoff exits. I hope the right coach and the return of Parise can restore some stability from way back when.

#1071 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Mayday, you're ignoring these additions:

Tedenby, Josefson, Palmieri, Fayne, Taormina

edit: also Volchenkhov, Tallinder

all of which will certainly have an impact next season. If Josefson really starts to come along, it could give the Devils 3 scoring lines which has been a huge problem for the Devils in the playoffs since the lockout IMO.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 12 July 2011 - 07:33 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#1072 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Mayday, you're ignoring these additions:

Tedenby, Josefson, Palmieri, Fayne, Taormina

edit: also Volchenkhov, Tallinder

all of which will certainly have an impact next season. If Josefson really starts to come along, it could give the Devils 3 scoring lines which has been a huge problem for the Devils in the regular season and playoffs since the lockout IMO.

fixed

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#1073 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Cheechoo is now a Blue as well. 1 year 2-way contract

Cheechoo has spent much of this summer working on his foot speed and trying to become more explosive. He's hired a trainer who he's been working with twice a day up at Stanford University. Cheechoo's contract will pay him $600/$225. His base pay will be $600/$105 but if he never gets called up to NHL he will receive and additional $120,00 at the end of the season. If he is called up to the NHL he will obviously be paid off of his $600,000 salary.

-Truehockey.com

Edited by Quinn01, 12 July 2011 - 08:34 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#1074 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

-Truehockey.com

Once a 56 goal scorer. Still suprising

#1075 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

-Truehockey.com

Low risk, High Reward for the blues.

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#1076 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

Low risk, High Reward for the blues.

More like low risk, no reward. The guy is done. He's gotten worse and worse every season since his magical year. I doubt he'll play in the NHL.

#1077 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

Once a 56 goal scorer. Still suprising

Not really he put those numbers up in the year where everyone was awesome. 2005-06 the same year when Gionta got 48 goals.

It was the year where the league decided that you couldn't touch anyone else or it was a penalty.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#1078 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

Goaltending varies from year to year. Price has a better shot at being worse then being the same or better then last year. Pacioretty is coming back from a scary injury, we really don't know where his confidence will be at. Subban will be better. Add that up with an aging forward crew and you probably get a worse season. Then again, I am guessing in what ifs just as you are.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#1079 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,572 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

Goaltending varies from year to year. Price has a better shot at being worse then being the same or better then last year. Pacioretty is coming back from a scary injury, we really don't know where his confidence will be at. Subban will be better. Add that up with an aging forward crew and you probably get a worse season. Then again, I am guessing in what ifs just as you are.

aging forward crew? gomez and gionta are the only major players over 30. well, and cole, but he's an addition. gomez is going to be better, too. yeah, i wouldn't bet against montreal this year, i don't think. i think they have a good shot at unseating boston and beating out buffalo.

#1080 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

aging forward crew? gomez and gionta are the only major players over 30. well, and cole, but he's an addition. gomez is going to be better, too. yeah, i wouldn't bet against montreal this year, i don't think. i think they have a good shot at unseating boston and beating out buffalo.

huh? Is Cammalleri gonna score 60 goals or something? I'm just not seeing them being able to score. Markov will help (if healthy) and Cole is a decent addition, but I think they will be a "score by committee" type of team. Plus as mentioned before, no way Price repeats last years performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users