All-Purpose Off-Season NHL UFA RUMOR & TRADE Thread

DevilinLA

Hypothetical trade..

jack johnson to new jersey

for one of jon merril, alexander urbom, 2nd rounder, roster player(greene, tedenby,)

fair?

volchenkov-johnson

tallinder-larsson

Where do you take that trade rumor?

Edited by caron14

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetical trade..

jack johnson to new jersey

for one of jon merril, alexander urbom, 2nd rounder, roster player(greene, tedenby,)

fair?

volchenkov-johnson

tallinder-larsson

the kings are not the flyers. They just signed Johnson to a big extension. They're not going to move him, especially for. An unproven package like you've suggested. They are thinking long playoff run now w/ te team they're assembling.

If you make it urbom, tedenby and a first, you could conceivably get bogosian from wpg.

i wouldn't either - but that's what it would take right now to get him.

i don't think so, but god that would be an awful, awful, awful trade. i think something like urbom, (established contract), 1st would do it. the devils don't have established contracts to give anymore, though.

i suppose clarkson could be that estabilished contract - maybe. i still think wpg balks at it. my point was that i don't think the devils NEED to trade for bogosian. i mean, sure, it would be nice to add him but from a salary resources standpoint - you're adding an expensive piece and not really making an expensive piece go away. the devils are counting on at least 3 of their 7 defensemen making under $1.5mm for the next 3 years.

my other point was again - the original proposal would not fly.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Another San Jose and Wild trade. San Jose Wild Sharks?! HMMMM? Sheppard for 2012 third round pick.

Sheppard missed all 82 games last year due to a knee injury(23 years old)

Edited by BelieveinBrodeur

Another San Jose and Wild trade. San Jose Wild Sharks?! HMMMM? Sheppard for 2012 third round pick. Sheppard missed all 82 games last year due to a knee injury(23 years old)

You need to post a source (links etc) to any of the info or rumor you put in any thread.

Edited by SS-SS

Did Lou mention anything after the buyouts that would suggest he'd like to do something before the season starts? I think he mentioned he had some other things to do after the Parise signing, which lead to the buyouts, but I don't remember anything after that.

I remember he mentioned he wanted to acquire a PMD, but that was before Burns was traded, and Greene was signed. Greene could have been Lou's only choice for a PMD after Burns.

There were supposedly people with sources that said the Devils were interested in Kaberle, which was after the Devils signed Greene. So maybe they still are looking to add someone on the Blue line.

Did Lou mention anything after the buyouts that would suggest he'd like to do something before the season starts? I think he mentioned he had some other things to do after the Parise signing, which lead to the buyouts, but I don't remember anything after that. I remember he mentioned he wanted to acquire a PMD, but that was before Burns was traded, and Greene was signed. Greene could have been Lou's only choice for a PMD after Burns.There were supposedly people with sources that said the Devils were interested in Kaberle, which was after the Devils signed Greene. So maybe they still are looking to add someone on the Blue line.

Per TG: I asked Lamoriello if it’s his intention to use that cap space now or if he’s going to keep it open heading into the 2011-12 season.

“You never know,” he said. “That’s a moving target.”

I would've like to see us getting a real PMD for this season, but I have no problems going into the season with this current roster. I am looking forward to see what our young guys can do at defense and how Tedenby and Josefson do. I guess this cap space can be useful at the deadline if you need to add a player in a certain area to help you win.

Per TG: I asked Lamoriello if it’s his intention to use that cap space now or if he’s going to keep it open heading into the 2011-12 season.

“You never know,” he said. “That’s a moving target.”

I would've like to see us getting a real PMD for this season, but I have no problems going into the season with this current roster. I am looking forward to see what our young guys can do at defense and how Tedenby and Josefson do. I guess this cap space can be useful at the deadline if you need to add a player in a certain area to help you win.

I feel the same way about the current roster.

Also I assume Lou means that they're casually looking for someone, but nothing is imminent. It doesn't sound like Lou is worried about our D. It also doesn't seem like the team's budget is all that low.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

You need to post a source (links etc) to any of the info or rumor you put in any thread.

I know I do, PC was slow and couldn't get to TSN or NHL without issue from wear I was.

Please don't take this as me 'calling you out', because I don't intend to at all... but I don't get why so many fans are hung up on "PMD's". Ever since I've started posting here, the #1 post I see every day is "yo, this team is good, but it would be better if we added a second line center and a PMD". Who did you sugggest we go after? Kaberle is about as defensively solid as *insert funny joke here*, past that, who do you want? Greene is a "PMD" according to most fans, even though it's pretty obvious he doesn't move play very effectively. Oduya was "primed" to be the next PMD, til he sucked and we shipped him to Atlanta... we've got Tallinder, who looks like he can move play pretty decent, and Taormina showed signs of this too last year. I just don't think fans think much past the idea that "hmm, this team would be awesome with Mike Green".

Moving the puck up to the offensemen has been a weekness for the devils, especially after Oduya and Martin left. I think realistically, as you're suggesting, the devils won't be getting the ideal fit for a PMD in a trade or signing, without creating another weakness. Greene has at least "sort of" established himself as a puck moving defenseman. Taormina hasn't established himself yet. Its easier to talk about the knowns instead of the unknowns. I guess that's also why big names get thrown around.

Please don't take this as me 'calling you out', because I don't intend to at all... but I don't get why so many fans are hung up on "PMD's". Ever since I've started posting here, the #1 post I see every day is "yo, this team is good, but it would be better if we added a second line center and a PMD". Who did you sugggest we go after? Kaberle is about as defensively solid as *insert funny joke here*, past that, who do you want? Greene is a "PMD" according to most fans, even though it's pretty obvious he doesn't move play very effectively. Oduya was "primed" to be the next PMD, til he sucked and we shipped him to Atlanta... we've got Tallinder, who looks like he can move play pretty decent, and Taormina showed signs of this too last year. I just don't think fans think much past the idea that "hmm, this team would be awesome with Mike Green".

IMO, we need help at moving the puck from our zone, trough the neutral zone and into the offensive zone. Puck moving D is probably not a must, but it helps a lot for many reasons.In the other thread some members are debating over whats better: A good first pass and good rush or a cycle.

IMO in today's NHL you need both to win and cycling isn't going to successful without that good offensive rush trough the neutral zone and you also need that cycle in the offensive zone.

When we had Martin, he was the one starting that rush and making the good first pass. Now that we don't have him anymore we got trouble entering the offensive zone. How many time last season did we see Kovalchuk taking the puck from behind our net and try to enter the offensive zone on the PP or at even strenght to finally see him easily lose it. With Martin, we had that first pass in the neutral zone that helped a lot.

Also I was against the idea of bringing Kaberle here because of his defensive play. All I'm saying is we would be much better with a D-man who can move the puck trough the Neutral and make that good first pass. (And also help on the PP :koolaid: )

Tallinder and Greene are not cutting it. They are not the Puck moving Defense man we are talking about. Even if Kaberle didn't put great numbers with the Bruins he helped a lot with entering the zone because he lead the rush from the back to the front and made that good pass entering the zone.

"How many time last season did we see Kovalchuk taking the puck from behind our net and try to enter the offensive zone on the PP or at even strenght to finally see him easily lose it."

Ah if only someone on the coaching staff could explain the mysterious concept called the "give and go" to Kovalchuk......alas, one can only dream.......

SS-SS:The problem with your argument is that Paul Martin is also not the puck-moving defenseman you were talking about.

I agree he is not, but IMO he is much better compared to what we have right now. He moved the puck much better the other D-men and it helped.