12 replies to this topic

#1 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

I figured it couldn't hurt to have a thread where information was a little bit more organized than the draft day thread. I definitely need to thank Tom Gulitti for all of his work covering the draft and all the work the guys at In Lou We Trust did compiling a ton of info/videos on each pick, they really went all out and I highly recommend checking out their posts to get the most info possible on each pick.

1 4 NJD ADAM LARSSON D SE 6' 3" 197 SWEDEN SKELLEFTEA (Fire and Ice) (In Lou We Trust)
3 75 NJD BLAKE COLEMAN C US 5' 10" 198 USHL INDIANA (Fire and Ice) (In Lou We Trust)
4 99 NJD REID BOUCHER C US 5' 10" 192 USHL USA U-18 (Fire and Ice) (In Lou We Trust)
5 129 NJD BLAKE PIETILA LW US 5' 11" 189 USHL USA U-18 (Fire and Ice) (In Lou We Trust)
6 159 NJD REECE SCARLETT D CA 6' 1" 168 WHL SWIFT CURRENT (Fire and Ice) (In Lou We Trust)
7 189 NJD PATRICK DALY D US 6' 0" 178 HIGH-MN BENILDE-ST.MARGARET'S (Fire and Ice) (In Lou We Trust)

Fire and Ice Recap
Conte Pleased with Draft via Fire and Ice
Larsson Falls Into Devils Hands via Fire and Ice
In Lou We Trust Recap
Hockey Prospectus Atlantic Division Recap

Official Devils Youtube Account has a few draft related videos from interviews with the picks, Lou, Conte, and Parise.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#2 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

It was Larsson and a bunch of projects. I think the other selections were all tactical in that a lot of them are still early in development relatively speaking.

Larsson is the obvious jewel. Draft was over for us right then. I was kinda hoping to see some sort of dealing netting us some cap relief or another higher draft pick, but its all about Larsson. I really hope he is what they say.

#3 Confusious

Confusious

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

Reid Boucher was the leading scorer in USHL. Definitely good value for a fourth round pick.
Reece Scarlett was pegged to go in the third round, and we nabbed him in the sixth round.

Bit more than a bunch of projects. I trust our scouting staff a lot more than someone that doesn't know who these kids are.

Posted Image

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

Reid Boucher was the leading scorer in USHL. Definitely good value for a fourth round pick.
Reece Scarlett was pegged to go in the third round, and we nabbed him in the sixth round.

Bit more than a bunch of projects. I trust our scouting staff a lot more than someone that doesn't know who these kids are.

Blake Coleman was actually the leading scorer in the USHL: 59 GP 34 G 58 A 92 Pts but did it as one of the older players in the league (late 91 birthday). Boucher was in the USTNDP.

I'm happy with the selections. Aside from Larsson, I would call them project picks since they're unlikely to reach their potential and will need a lot of time to develop, but there is at least some value to be had there if one of them is to make it.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 26 June 2011 - 08:13 PM.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

Reid Boucher with some work could end up being very valuable as a 4th rounder. You can't teach offensive IQ, instincts and the release/shot he has. His coach said it is in the Kessel range.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#6 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

Didnt mean it like they were scrubs or lesser players. Most of them are still young and barely freshman in college for the most part. Boucher, great stats, he's 17 playing against other 17 year olds. They are talented kids, but still a lot of development ahead of them, which is completely opposite of Larsson. Scarlett is a good defenseman, but apparently needs to fill out size wise. They all have something that is clear that they need to work on or experience. The majority of the picks were just out of high school.

#7 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

Didnt mean it like they were scrubs or lesser players. Most of them are still young and barely freshman in college for the most part. Boucher, great stats, he's 17 playing against other 17 year olds. They are talented kids, but still a lot of development ahead of them, which is completely opposite of Larsson. Scarlett is a good defenseman, but apparently needs to fill out size wise. They all have something that is clear that they need to work on or experience. The majority of the picks were just out of high school.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing they're all project pics, besides Larsson of course. There really isn't room for much more youth on the NHL devils roster (I'm sure AHL roster could use the help immediately, but I...don't care :noclue: ) so hopefully some of these kids will surface a few years down the road when they're needed

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#8 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing they're all project pics, besides Larsson of course. There really isn't room for much more youth on the NHL devils roster (I'm sure AHL roster could use the help immediately, but I...don't care :noclue: ) so hopefully some of these kids will surface a few years down the road when they're needed

Its not a complaint. Its just that they're projects lol and is what it is. Larsson is much closer to the NHL than anyone we drafted and maybe more than anyone in the entire draft. Its him and the other guys we took right now. I cant get excited for a 17 year old. Looks great on paper, but cant project him until he gets in more heated and adult competition.

#9 Scoopscj

Scoopscj

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

Great links, thanks for the read.

Scoops

#10 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

great post TFG!
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#11 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

A video from HFBoards on Coleman

Dude shakes off a big hit, scores on a one-timer

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#12 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-a8vB8sDz0&feature=player_embedded

I don't know anything about the kid but, damn! That's determination right there.
Posted Image

#13 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-a8vB8sDz0&feature=player_embedded

There seem to be a decent bit of videos on youtube of Coleman scoring/fighting. I really love that goal from the video you posted, he took a hit and never gave up on the play. Great attitude there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users