14 replies to this topic

#1 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Not sure what this means Salmela was not playing well, just a matter of time.

http://blogs.northje..._anssi_salmela/

Sorry if anyone posted already

Guess Lou will let him test the market and say goodbye, still love The goal he scored then was drilled injuring him he was a fireplug just not enough offensive defenseman.

Edited by Devs1965, 27 June 2011 - 07:06 PM.

#2 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

I will never forget Salmela scoring that OT winner on Montoya. His play is way too inconsistent for my liking.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#3 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Doesn't mean he won't be back, just means they didn't want to give him the mandatory pay raise that comes with the qualifying offer.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#4 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

I agree just when you would see signs of a offensive defenseman he would break down with a bad cross ice pass or a missed assignment. But he had guts to crash the net the way he did!
We are pretty deep with defensemen but most are rookies. I'm still torn on if Larsen should be a 1st year NHL or let him get some guidance and conditiong for growth in the AHL also if it should be a full season in Albany or 1/2 season?
Also does Salvador come back or retire, a lot of questions to be answered.

#5 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

No great loss. He did nothing right except offense, and he didn't do that with any consistency.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#6 hattrick

hattrick

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

Do you think LL would be interested in Tyle Kennedy? Pens let him walk. Is there cap space to sign him?

TK free to walk
Good Is Not Good Where Better Is Expected

#7 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

Do you think LL would be interested in Tyle Kennedy? Pens let him walk. Is there cap space to sign him?

TK free to walk

if we get rid of Rolston/Clarkson some how, i'd actually like to give Steve Bernier a look. He busted his tail during his short stint with the Sabres and plays with a lot of grit but has some skill to actually contribute [like clarkson used to]

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#8 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

if we get rid of Rolston/Clarkson some how, i'd actually like to give Steve Bernier a look. He busted his tail during his short stint with the Sabres and plays with a lot of grit but has some skill to actually contribute [like clarkson used to]

I liked Bernier a lot more before I got to watch him on TV. Guess I liked the idea more than the actual player. From watching him play, he strikes me as an Erik Rasmussen-type...without the consistency.

If he fought more or played a rougher game, he'd be a cheap replacement for someone like Clarkson. But he's not as rough, he doesn't fight as well, and he doesn't seem to work as hard consistently (even if Clarkson's the antithesis of "don't work harder, work smarter" at times).

Back to Salmela, I still wouldn't rule re-signing him for less than the QO as others have suggested. But it's clear now that his ceiling is very limited...and I'll personally always chalk it up to that devastating hit he took against the Flyers. At least he gave us that goal against the NYI in OT. Probably the biggest moment of his NHL career so far.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#9 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

When he was first here he appeared to have some potential. Unfortunately his iffy play and the slur of younger defensemen has pushed him out.

#10 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

TK free to walk

FLA will now offer Kennedy a 3-year, $3mil/per deal just for grins...since they're 41 million below the floor prior to re-signing RFAs and UFAs.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#11 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Addition by subtraction.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#12 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

FLA will now offer Kennedy a 3-year, $3mil/per deal just for grins...since they're 41 million below the floor prior to re-signing RFAs and UFAs.

offer rolston quick!!! before they get smart!!!

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#13 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

offer rolston quick!!! before they get smart!!!

Nobody's that foolish! Lol. Maybe if we throw in a Ny style Pizza!

#14 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

Won't miss Anci

#15 Scoopscj

Scoopscj

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

I will never forget Salmela scoring that OT winner on Montoya. His play is way too inconsistent for my liking.

This right here in a nut shell.

Scoops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users