Photo

Clemmer?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Clemmer? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Scott Clemmensen will be a free agent after this season. By the time the 12-13 season starts, Clemmer would be 35 years old. Would you welcome him back into the mix?

1. Voted Yes (12 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. No (20 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Wiggles1213

Wiggles1213

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

Poll time. :evil:

#2 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

As i recall he played pretty well while Marty was out of the mix

Edited by BelieveinBrodeur, 01 July 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#3 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

We're seriously talking about the backup goalie situation a year from now?

:doh1:

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#4 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

If Marty doesn't play next year we need both starter and back-up. Would any of you guys object to Clemmy as a starter replacement and work on the youth during that frame?

#5 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

If Marty doesn't play next year we need both starter and back-up. Would any of you guys object to Clemmy as a starter replacement and work on the youth during that frame?

I would very much object to that. Clemmer can't even start on one of the worst teams in the league. He had a good run with us, but get over the idea that he's a starter.

Also, there are zero indications that this is Brodeur's last year. Why do people keep saying this?

Posted Image

#6 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

I would very much object to that. Clemmer can't even start on one of the worst teams in the league. He had a good run with us, but get over the idea that he's a starter.

Also, there are zero indications that this is Brodeur's last year. Why do people keep saying this?

Agreed.

Also, I was very unimpressed with Clemmensen even during that stretch he had when Brodeur was injured. We won games but his rebound control was garbage and he was usually good for one bad goal against a game. I was never confident with him in net.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#7 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:05 PM

Welcome back? No question. He played hard, and while he wasn't always polished with the media, his teammates seemed to rally around him. There's no need to bring him back -- I don't really care who the backup is in a couple years, and he's not starter material, but I'd welcome him.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#8 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

I would be pissed if we brought backer Clemmer.
I appreciate what he did for us, but in the end... it was him playing over his head, with the team bailing him out.

Next year, hopefully one of the kids are ready to play backup... and Marty goes year-by-year at a discount for us (3-4mm)

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#9 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

I appreciate what he did for us, but in the end... it was him playing over his head, with the team bailing him out.

Next year, hopefully one of the kids are ready to play backup... and Marty goes year-by-year at a discount for us (3-4mm)

I don't know about that, his save % isn't that much lower playing on a terrible Panthers team. I don't see him as a superstar at all, but he's an elite backup, and could start on some teams. There's no shame in backing up Vokoun. No disagreement about him starting for us -- you're not winning the cup if Clemmer's your starter -- but I don't buy that he played THAT much over his head.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#10 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

Scott Clemmensen is incredibly overrated around here. The man has had ONE good season in his entire career. He, and the team, played well over their heads. He had bad rebound control, bad side-to-side movement, and his glove hand wasn't exactly fastest in the league.

Yeah, he had a nice run but can't do it consistently, meaning he's a back up. I'd rather see what Kincaid or Frazee look like by then. This is Frazee's make or break year, and it'll be our first chance to see what Kincaid can do as a pro in Albany.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#11 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

I don't know about that, his save % isn't that much lower playing on a terrible Panthers team. I don't see him as a superstar at all, but he's an elite backup, and could start on some teams. There's no shame in backing up Vokoun. No disagreement about him starting for us -- you're not winning the cup if Clemmer's your starter -- but I don't buy that he played THAT much over his head.

Lol...Elite backup...that made me chuckle a little mouse. I'd have faith in Clemmer coming back as a backup, but he's one goalie in a large pool of goalies and there are simply better goalies out there. However he still seemed to play well on the PANTHERS guys...come on.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#12 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

Right now I would take Moose as a backup over Clemmer. "Elite" and "Clemmenson" don't belong in the same sentence. He had a good run with a good team in front of him, but for christ sakes people he's on the wrong side of 30 and he is -- at best -- a carreer backup.

Posted Image

#13 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:22 AM

I loved that Clemmensen had the ability to force our offense into a 3.5 goals-per-game unit, will carrying about a 2.5 GAA. I'm glad he filled in relatively well when Weekes struggled and Marty was hurt. I even loved his mask, his original number and his gear, but he should not be what we're looking for next summer.

And to those that are asking why people assume Marty is done, its the final year of his contract, and god-forbid there's a work-stoppage for any length next season, Marty has previously said he's unsure if he'll come back. However, if the NHL and NHLPA are pro-active, then there should be nothing to worry about.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#14 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:26 AM

the thing is... im sure brodeur would "want" to give us a discount but it's kinda hard when youre ex-wife is sucking a bunch of youre cash every year until 2020

Marty has to pay his wife about $500,000 a year, plus 132 millions in child support every year until 2020 and more than 9 millions here and there through that in other assets apparently, not sure what it is but anyway... you get my point lol

but yeah, buddy should have kept his pants up lol but thats life

www.SterioDesign.com

#15 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Its like Greene a couple of years ago, our defense falls with injuries and he steps in halfway through the year and does outstanding moving the puck and defensively. After that "breakout" year people suspect we have a new top 2 defensemen when we don't.

#16 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

Clemmer is a below average goalie, I wouldn't want him unless there are no other options available.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#17 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Broad question. Would I welcome him back, yes. Would I want him back, no. The question I'm pondering is what happens after this year.? Do we re-sign Marty, or Moose, and who's going to be the student and mentor? Kind of exciting to see a new future goalie for the devils.

#18 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

the thing is... im sure brodeur would "want" to give us a discount but it's kinda hard when youre ex-wife is sucking a bunch of youre cash every year until 2020

Marty has to pay his wife about $500,000 a year, plus 132 millions in child support every year until 2020 and more than 9 millions here and there through that in other assets apparently, not sure what it is but anyway... you get my point lol

but yeah, buddy should have kept his pants up lol but thats life

I don't see us giving Marty 5.2mm in the next contract.
I think Marty will choose to sign with us at the 3-4mm; rather than do a random one year stint throughout the SE division until no one offers him a contract anymore.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#19 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

I wouldnt even consider it....No.

At this point, a year early, Id still sign Moose again before Clementine. :moose:

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#20 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

And to those that are asking why people assume Marty is done, its the final year of his contract, and god-forbid there's a work-stoppage for any length next season, Marty has previously said he's unsure if he'll come back. However, if the NHL and NHLPA are pro-active, then there should be nothing to worry about.

+1

Back to Clemmer, the entire team played over its head when he was starting. They had to or else they'd have been toast. I wouldn't mind having him return as a backup, but I would be incredibly worried if he was here to start. And as others have said, hopefully we'll know whether Frazee is NHL starter material by the time we need to replace Marty.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users