160 replies to this topic

#141 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

yeah but depending on how it goes in camp... it depends on how Bernier and Sykora are doing i guess... of course i'd rather have Sykora just cause he was a big part of the team here... but he's retiring soon and far from his prime... while "lets say" Bernier can actually play decently and that they see some potential well we'd have a young player that we could ride for awhile at least.

cant wait for camps updates

www.SterioDesign.com

#142 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

"We've got some combinations we're looking at," coach Pete DeBoer said. "I think I'd like to keep [Patrik] Elias and [Zach] Parise together. Josefson and Kovalchuk look pretty good together. Those are my initial thoughts. I'm seeing some chemistry. But that's subject to change." Josefson is being granted a tremendous opportunity to seize a top-six forward spot with Travis Zajac sidelined for at least the first month and a half of 2011-12 with a torn left Achilles tendon. This could provide a significant boost to his fantasy value if he earns the job. Rugged forward David Clarkson rounded out the trio with Josefson and Kovalchuk.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#143 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Sykora got a hat trick as a center at today's scrimmage playing with Zubs and Veilluex. He said the speed of Zubs and Veilleux was a big part of his success. He also centered a line with Jagr when he played for the Rags. His face off percentage was garbage though. Said he'll work with Oates on that.

Maybe a top three of...

Parise-Elias-Palmeri
Kovy-Josefson-Clarkson
Tedenby-Sykora-Zubs

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 19 September 2011 - 01:14 PM.

#144 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

I don't see why our centers can't be something like elias, josefson, steckle, pelley
Devils.

#145 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

yeah i don't like the idea of parise-elias, but i am more okay with kovalchuk-josefson with clarkson instead of palmieri/bernier.

In the short term it is bad but long term Josefson and Kovalchuk develop some chemistry. Elias can shift down to the third line with Tedenby and it gives you 3 explosive lines. We don't really know what Josefson brings to the table, from my viewings he has the skill set of a puck possession type player.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#146 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

In the short term it is bad but long term Josefson and Kovalchuk develop some chemistry. Elias can shift down to the third line with Tedenby and it gives you 3 explosive lines. We don't really know what Josefson brings to the table, from my viewings he has the skill set of a puck possession type player.

oh i agree, but i just don't think he's ready for that just now. we know kovalchuk is probably a net minus player, and adding josefson, who is probably not good at faceoffs (which exacerbates the fact that he'll be a break-even player probably), that's gonna drag things down a lot. the 3 lines you describe would probably be excellent, but i don't know if josefson is ready for that just yet.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#147 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

oh i agree, but i just don't think he's ready for that just now. we know kovalchuk is probably a net minus player, and adding josefson, who is probably not good at faceoffs (which exacerbates the fact that he'll be a break-even player probably), that's gonna drag things down a lot. the 3 lines you describe would probably be excellent, but i don't know if josefson is ready for that just yet.

If Josefson and Kovalchuk are together then I think it should be near guaranteed that Zubrus is the RW on the line. He is very good defensively and drives play well. I know his skills are pretty useless with Kovalchuk but if Clarkson, Palmieri or Tedenby are on that line then we will really need to hide those minutes. I trust DeBoer though, to get that Florida team near breakeven 5 on 5 he must have been doing something well.

#148 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

If Josefson and Kovalchuk are together then I think it should be near guaranteed that Zubrus is the RW on the line. He is very good defensively and drives play well. I know his skills are pretty useless with Kovalchuk but if Clarkson, Palmieri or Tedenby are on that line then we will really need to hide those minutes. I trust DeBoer though, to get that Florida team near breakeven 5 on 5 he must have been doing something well.

that line has the off-wing problem, which i think is a legitimate problem given how a kovalchuk line tends to operate - imo you want a right handed shot driving the net when kovalchuk enters the zone. i suppose it worked in atlanta for his last season there, but afinogenov is a special sort of player.

Edited by Triumph, 19 September 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#149 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

that line has the off-wing problem, which i think is a legitimate problem given how a kovalchuk line tends to operate - imo you want a right handed shot driving the net when kovalchuk enters the zone. i suppose it worked in atlanta for his last season there, but afinogenov is a special sort of player.

I just watched the 1st period of the scrimmage, which is on the main devils site, and Josefson and Kovalchuk looked ok together. Burlon impressed me more then Larsson as well.

#150 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

I just watched the 1st period of the scrimmage, which is on the main devils site, and Josefson and Kovalchuk looked ok together. Burlon impressed me more then Larsson as well.

Agreed, aside from a few nice stretch passes, he had trouble. To be fair, it looked like Deboer wanted to get the Parise/Elias line against him

#151 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

HF nicknames aside, the Devils just won't have this luxury next year. Keeping Zubrus around for Elias's faceoffs means using Henrique as a center. Rookie centers typically don't fare well in the faceoff dot, so whatever you gain by putting Zubrus with Elias, you will almost certainly lose with Henrique at center.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm not sure if I agree with you or not. I have two main issues

1) Without Zajac, Elias is probably our best defensive forward. We need him out there in big spots, many of which obviously begin with defensive zome faceoffs. I accept that our overall faceoff percentage goes down with Henrique as a full time center, but I'm much more comfortable protecting him by giving him less important/dangerous draws than hamstringing Deboer with his best backchecker losing big faceoffs. This mess goes away when Zajac gets back, so not a huge issue, but I guess I disagree with you about what sacrifice we should make.

2) At some point, Henrique has to take his beating at center. I don't see him getting better at faceoffs in the AHL, and he obviously won't playing wing. I see this as a bit of a rebuilding year, especially the beginning, so it's a good time to let Henrique learn to take NHL faceoffs. If you see him as a winger long term, this point is moot.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#152 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm not sure if I agree with you or not. I have two main issues

1) Without Zajac, Elias is probably our best defensive forward. We need him out there in big spots, many of which obviously begin with defensive zome faceoffs. I accept that our overall faceoff percentage goes down with Henrique as a full time center, but I'm much more comfortable protecting him by giving him less important/dangerous draws than hamstringing Deboer with his best backchecker losing big faceoffs. This mess goes away when Zajac gets back, so not a huge issue, but I guess I disagree with you about what sacrifice we should make.

The difference between Zubrus and Elias last year was 11 points, or one in 9 faceoffs. i don't consider that a huge deal (nor do i consider that their true talent gap, though elias's 45% might've been because zubrus took faceoffs against better centers). It looks like Zubrus will remain at wing for now, though.

2) At some point, Henrique has to take his beating at center. I don't see him getting better at faceoffs in the AHL, and he obviously won't playing wing. I see this as a bit of a rebuilding year, especially the beginning, so it's a good time to let Henrique learn to take NHL faceoffs. If you see him as a winger long term, this point is moot.

I don't see this as a rebuilding year. I also don't see Adam Henrique's future being at center, either, so yeah, it is a moot point to me. His goal/assist ratio looks more like a wing. There are centers with 1 to 1 G:A ratios in the NHL (stamkos comes to mind, nieuwendyk, jason arnott's is 4:5), but not many.

#153 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

Testing a guy like Peter Harrold on the point in the PP baffles me. Granted, I only know his numbers and stats, but he doesn't appear to be a very offensive player.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#154 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

Testing a guy like Peter Harrold on the point in the PP baffles me. Granted, I only know his numbers and stats, but he doesn't appear to be a very offensive player.

Harrold had 43 points in 49 games in his last year in the minors. If (and probably when) he goes back to the minors, he will run the power play in Albany. LA used him on the PP in 2008-09 - 2+ minutes per game - but did not do so in the year before or the two years after.

#155 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

The difference between Zubrus and Elias last year was 11 points, or one in 9 faceoffs. i don't consider that a huge deal (nor do i consider that their true talent gap, though elias's 45% might've been because zubrus took faceoffs against better centers). It looks like Zubrus will remain at wing for now, though.

I don't see this as a rebuilding year. I also don't see Adam Henrique's future being at center, either, so yeah, it is a moot point to me. His goal/assist ratio looks more like a wing. There are centers with 1 to 1 G:A ratios in the NHL (stamkos comes to mind, nieuwendyk, jason arnott's is 4:5), but not many.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm much more inclined to agree with you with those stats; even if Zubs playing better centers skews it, 1 in 9 isn't enough.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#156 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:39 PM

My opening lineup predictions:

Kovalchuk-Josefson-Palmieri
Parise-Elias-Bernier
Tedenby-Veilleux-Zubrus
Boulton-Steckel-Clarkson
Posted Image

#157 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

Not much to say about Stralman. I was really hoping for something good from him, but he's been pretty quiet in what I've seen so far (1.5 periods) of the scrimmage. What do you guys think? Will he make the team?

Impressed with Larsson, just like everyone else has said. But Josefson looks incredible. He's looking like the best guy on the ice at times.

#158 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

I agree 100% about Josefson, he looks like he got much stronger on the puck and looks much faster. I'm not that big on Stralman at all, there had to be a reason he couldnt crack a weakened Blue Jackets defense group last season. Veilleux seems like he could be an interesting addition. I thought he was pretty solid on Tampa a few seasons back, he could be a solid find. Larsson should be a lock for NHL, he looks like the smoothest defenseman out there by far.

#159 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

David Steckel plans to make the 3rd line:

"Let's be realistic. I'm not a second line center. I don't view myself as that," Steckel said. "As far as minutes go, I'd like to play third-line minutes if there is an opportunity there."

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#160 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

My opening lineup predictions:

Kovalchuk-Josefson-Palmieri
Parise-Elias-Bernier
Tedenby-Veilleux-Zubrus
Boulton-Steckel-Clarkson

What about taking Palmieri off that first line and replace him with Zubrus. Give that 1st line more of a killing instinct..

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users