141 replies to this topic

#61 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

You never want to give the "C" to a player who probably won't be here next year, so give Zach an "A".

Manta, we get it....haha :horse:
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#62 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

You never want to give the "C" to a player who probably won't be here next year, so give Zach an "A".

We should give the C to Kovy, then... after all, he'll be here forever. :evil:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#63 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,258 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

I agree with Manta, definitely give the C to Kovy

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#64 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,448 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

We should give the C to Kovy, then... after all, he'll be here forever. :evil:

Three years from now Kovy is dealt like Rolston.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#65 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

I would give to C to kovy, because I thought, that for the 2nd half last year, kovy played with leadership and was an example on the ice, and he worked realy hard. If not kovy, give it to elias. For Parise, I don't wan't him to get the C, and leave for another team next year. Give him the A instead.

Edited by Devs3cups, 04 August 2011 - 11:01 AM.

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#66 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Is this usually a coaches decision. I honestly say put it to a vote once you have your team together. The players want Parise, so it can be Parise.

Edited by RizzMB30, 05 August 2011 - 09:37 AM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#67 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

Just give it to Larsson right now.

I mean, Parise is clearly the captain of this team if he signs long-term. So what does that mean? It probably means that in any case, for this season, we'll have someone acting as captain who won't be next season... unless they chance giving it to Parise betting he'll return.

Personally, who gives two craps if they gamble on Zach? It's not like some passing of the captaincy torch like it used to be in Montreal where it really meant something. Players move teams far too frequently nowadays. It doesn't mean what it did.

I'd give it to Zach. Sign of good faith. If he returns, we already have our captain. If not, they'll give it to someone else. Kovalchuk.

That'd be my plan. If you want a plan B and NJ is entirely opposed to the Zach "gamble," they could rightfully return it to Elias, last year's supreme leader and rightful captain. He deserves it for another year.

#68 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

If Elias doesn't want it, Kovalchuk is really the only person that makes sense. I suppose you could make the case for Zubrus, but this is Kovy's team right now for better or for worse.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#69 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

Give it to Whi...Oh wait never mind. :noclue:

The only two guys that make sense to me:

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

#70 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

Give it the most quiet leader and consistent player on the team Travis Zajac.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#71 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

Give it the most quiet leader and consistent player on the team Travis Zajac.

I agree. If Elias doesnt want it offer it up to Zajac. Then go to Parise.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Vancouver at one point make Lou their Captain just for the hell of it?

How would everyone feel about Marty getting the C, not that a goaltender as a captain is the best choice on the ice, off the ice I think hed be great and with two A's out there, Elias and Kovy, itd get the job done.

Edited by Quinn01, 05 August 2011 - 11:58 AM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#72 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

This is a tricky situation, I feel Zach is 50/50 about returning to the Devils next season and beyond. He's probably gonna see how this season goes and decide, so if you give him the "C" and the team does well, maybe he'll really want to stay, but if he see's someone else get the "C", he'll be thinking this team isnt for him anymore and want to bolt.

#73 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

This is a tricky situation, I feel Zach is 50/50 about returning to the Devils next season and beyond. He's probably gonna see how this season goes and decide, so if you give him the "C" and the team does well, maybe he'll really want to stay, but if he see's someone else get the "C", he'll be thinking this team isnt for him anymore and want to bolt.

If the C is going to be used as a pawn, its going to loose all meaning. That would be a HUGE slap to every other player on the team.

If thats what its going to take to get ZP to stay....I say let him walk.

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#74 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

but then NOT giving the C to Parise is just as stupid. Give it to whoever is the clearest leader - no thought to contract. I'm not sure Kovalchuk is ready as of yet. He still speaks as if he's learning a lot and might need to focus more on his own game for a little bit.

Parise seems like a logical guy to step up because he had such a clear and objective view of things from the stands. I'm sure there is ton of stuff he wants to look at from a team perspective some "what were we thinking" things and I'd guess he identified a few holes and lapses guys might not have caught while on ice.

Patty seems like a good candidate too because he really knows how to suck up changes - even changes he HATES. He speaks like he understands hockey is hockey and you play the hand your dealt as best you can. I think he thinks too much about what HE personally can do -- but it sounded like he may be growing out of that. really - growing beyond that, see how everyone impacts one and other like it or not. It's not a maturity thing just a knowledge gained by experience thing.

I'm here for the party

#75 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

I agree. If Elias doesnt want it offer it up to Zajac. Then go to Parise.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Vancouver at one point make Lou their Captain just for the hell of it?

How would everyone feel about Marty getting the C, not that a goaltender as a captain is the best choice on the ice, off the ice I think hed be great and with two A's out there, Elias and Kovy, itd get the job done.

Marty doesn't need a "c" to be the leader in that locker room. Neither does Elias. Vancouver giving it to Luongo was just a cheesy move by them to try to prove that there was no bad blood and that they weren't planning on moving on from him after another disappointing playoffs that year. In fact, a goalie can't be a captain in the NHL. Luongo didn't have a 'c' on his jersey. He put one on his mask.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#76 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:52 PM

If the next C isn't Parise - and this year, that's a bad sign that Lou and Zach were both full of it when they said they intended to work out a long-term deal. Because by all rights it should be Zach, the only reason not to give it to him is if you're afraid he's got one foot out the door.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#77 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

C- zach parise
A- david clarkson
A- anton volchenkov
A- dainus zubrus
A- ilya kovalchuk

Edited by Mayday, 07 August 2011 - 05:27 PM.

#78 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

C- zach parise
A- david clarkson
A- anton volchenkov
A- dainus zubrus
A- ilya kovalchuk

No Elias??
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#79 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

C- zach parise
A- david clarkson
A- anton volchenkov
A- dainus zubrus
A- ilya kovalchuk

First, thats a terrible selection and second, you can only have 2 A's and a C or 3 A's.

Posted Image

#80 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

C- zach parise
A- david clarkson
A- anton volchenkov
A- dainus zubrus
A- ilya kovalchuk

Pretty good but how about this:

C- Mark Fraser
A- Johan Hedberg
A- Mattias Tedenby
A- Brian Rolston
A- John McLean
A- MantaRay
A- ???

What do you think? I'm not sure who to give the sixth A to yet, but I'm thinking Ken Klee (good veteran leader). Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users