46 replies to this topic

#21 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

X number of posts before one can start a thread? Sheesh, that is absurd. I belong to several forums and have been online since the 90's and the only restriction that I have ever encountered was the first post, regardless of being a thread starter or a reply, was checked by admins so that spam was held to a minimum. Spammers get banned all the time on other boards. This first post to be reviewed helps alleviate such nonsense. Oh, nice way to avoid letting folks sell stuff like tickets to a game they cannot attend. I have this place go through lots of changes over the years and this one takes the cake. Nice way to be friendly and open to new members. Thanks for joining and now you are restricted like a child in pre-school.

Posted Image

Not sure how "Crappy Threads" effect DM, but they don't seem too bad at all on this site. A few every once in a while is all.

Then there're those awful "Last person to post wins" type of threads. Who starts those things anyway?? You should ban those idiots from starting threads!! :soap:

Edited by Masked Fan, 05 July 2011 - 04:40 PM.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#22 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,926 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Remember when we used to hijack the bad threads and have fun with them?? :P

Thank y'all for putting it in nicer words then I did (but yet still saying the same thing), anything that makes people think twice about posting is BAD and limits the number of people who discuss things
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,875 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

The problem with this board lately isn't the threads that get started, it's the personal insults run rampant in them. Plus a lot of the recent kvetching about starting threads is actually more about borderline cases than anything else. Whether you think Fraser merits his own thread, it's debatable but since he's still a Devil and actually played the last couple years why not - hell I'd start a thread on him just to shake my head at his audacity at going to arb again :P

Plus if people are going to get indignant about starting threads for major non-Devil signings in Hell (the thread which affects all the hockey world, after all) then that's really being obtuse. You could argue that we shouldn't have a FA thread then but it does serve a purpose in talking about rumors and minor signings.

No, noobs aren't going to know what topics are worthy of threads and what aren't, but as long as it isn't because of laziness (starting a second and third threads on the same page for example) they shouldn't be getting castigated the way they have been lately.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#24 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

can someone start a thread on authentic vs knockoff jerseys ... or has that one been done ? Posted Image

Haha I just want one to see another round of insults and bannings like the last one did.

#25 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

While you are looking for something to limit newbie thread creation under a specific post count how about something to reset Martyisth3b3st's post count to zero every time he logs on?
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#26 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

X number of posts before one can start a thread? Sheesh, that is absurd. I belong to several forums and have been online since the 90's and the only restriction that I have ever encountered was the first post, regardless of being a thread starter or a reply, was checked by admins so that spam was held to a minimum. Spammers get banned all the time on other boards. This first post to be reviewed helps alleviate such nonsense. Oh, nice way to avoid letting folks sell stuff like tickets to a game they cannot attend. I have this place go through lots of changes over the years and this one takes the cake. Nice way to be friendly and open to new members. Thanks for joining and now you are restricted like a child in pre-school.

At least this was phrased in a decent way. Hey, we disagree, but what are you gonna do? I don't think it's creeping towards "big brother" like most of you guys are yelling about, I just think it gives new members a chance to learn the ropes a little bit before going off and posting a thread.

Most members who have been here long enough know that it just doesn't make any sense to start a thread about that one time you were in the mall and saw an Andy Greene poster for only 9 dollars. Hell, the PC doesn't need to be ridiculously high, maybe 50 would work. Having people who join and post 6 threads in 3 hours that generate zero discussion is going to sprout a flock of self-knighted board-police (admittedly I fall into this category quite a bit), most of them get stuck with a bad rep from the get-go... I think it gives the newbies a bit of a learning curve before they fully jump into the water.

And like I said before, it stops people from using this board as no more than an outlet to sell their sh!t to a large community. If DM wanted to make an ebay-like-forum, he would have. The marketplace is a nice option, but a guy who has 6 posts (1 "SELLING A DEVILS HAT" thread and six "bump :boogie: " posts) is pretty obnoxious. Maybe that's just me.

I think you brought up some valid arguments, though. Thanks for not being a douche about it.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#27 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Remember when we used to hijack the bad threads and have fun with them?? :P

Thank y'all for putting it in nicer words then I did (but yet still saying the same thing), anything that makes people think twice about posting is BAD and limits the number of people who discuss things

See, I disagree. This isn't discouraging members from posting at all. It's just giving them a chance to share their thoughts and learn to look around the forum before they post a thread about "yo remember that one time Marty made that save, and, oh man wasn't it awesome?" and get chastized by 9 or 10 members.

Posted Image

#28 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

Then there're those awful "Last person to post wins" type of threads. Who starts those things anyway?? You should ban those idiots from starting threads!! :soap:

You posted no less than 400 times in that thread, so shaddup ya tool.

While you are looking for something to limit newbie thread creation under a specific post count how about something to reset Martyisth3b3st's post count to zero every time he logs on?

:blink: wow it's been a while since I've seen ya sammy! :cheers:

Posted Image

#29 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hell, the PC doesn't need to be ridiculously high, maybe 50 would work.

That's what it's set at now. I doubt it needs to be higher than that. Who knows, it may even make sense to bring it down even more; we'll see how it works out.

And like I said before, it stops people from using this board as no more than an outlet to sell their sh!t to a large community. If DM wanted to make an ebay-like-forum, he would have. The marketplace is a nice option, but a guy who has 6 posts (1 "SELLING A DEVILS HAT" thread and six "bump :boogie: " posts) is pretty obnoxious. Maybe that's just me.

In my mind, this is the strongest argument in favor of the restrictions. The board software has some decent protections against spam robots; yes, one gets through every once in a while, but you should see what DOESN'T get through. The targeted marketing, though, can bypass all of that because it's done by actual humans. Preventing new members from starting threads should defeat those whose only purpose here is to sell us stuff.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#30 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

I think you brought up some valid arguments, though. Thanks for not being a douche about it.

What is it exactly that you have against douche's? They are a valuable tool in society!

You posted no less than 400 times in that thread, so shaddup ya tool.

I believe there are ways of looking that up, and I am willing to bet the UNDER on that one!

.... The board software has some decent protections against spam robots; yes, one gets through every once in a while,...

Poor jessica, I miss her so.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#31 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

I don't see how a short 'welcome' period to encourage people to learn the way the board works is at all discouraging/insulting to new members :blink:

What's worse:

1. New poster takes 'offense' to the waiting period, but somehow gets his required post count (and hopefully, in doing so, learns what is - and isn't - thread-worthy)

or

2. New poster creates a bunch of nonsense threads that generate little discussion, and gets either yelled at or made fun of by veteran posters (which is the case more often than not)

The latter has occurred recently (we all know who I'm talking about) and I'm honestly surprised he/she is still posting. I would've probably just stopped posting all together if I had been in his/her shoes.

I mean, read Par's post earlier in this thread, it justifies this completely:

For the most part I've had stopped posting here mainly due to the fact that wannabe "mods" like you always seem to be complaining about every little thing. I just feel your attitude drives newer posters away(regardless on how they act).

If the post-count restriction had existed perhaps he wouldn't have completely turned off to the forum. :noclue:

Edited by Devilsfan118, 08 July 2011 - 12:53 PM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#32 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,926 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

If the post-count restriction had existed perhaps he wouldn't have completely turned off to the forum. :noclue:

And maybe if people weren't complete dicks and didn't treat an accidental thread like a breach in national security it wouldn't be a concern either...this board's been JUST FINE for almost ten years now :blink: without needing it....it seems silly to need one now

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#33 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

And maybe if people weren't complete dicks and didn't treat an accidental thread like a breach in national security it wouldn't be a concern either...this board's been JUST FINE for almost ten years now :blink: without needing it....it seems silly to need one now

This is true, but I guess from Rowdy's or DM's perspective, of the two (a post requirement vs. people's attitudes) there's really only one they can directly control.

Or, I guess they could be more liberal with their bans. But that'd probably ruffle some feathers as well

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#34 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

Big man, it was just a suggestion. Holy hell do you get your feathers ruffled about the smallest sh!t. I've learned that your "way of posting" is to use absurd (oftentimes childish) over-exaggerations, but c'mon. Par even admitted himself that he had a rough go of it at the beginning because he didn't really know what deserved a thread and what didn't. He turned out to be a great addition to the boards, but he had a rough patch from the get-go. It got annoying seeing the top 7 threads all discussing something that's already being talked about! If he had been limited from the beginning and found his way around the boards before jumping on top of the "create a thread" button, he wouldn't have had half of the board hating his ass for the first few weeks he was here.

And obviously it isn't just Par, we've seen quite a few noobies come in and get thread-happy. What is so traumatizing about putting in a small learning curve? If they can't wait 50 posts to start a thread, chances are they weren't going to stick around anyway.

Posted Image

#35 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

Here's a good example, directly from a PM convo with a member that ran into the same sh!t--

Regardless, my bad start here has dampened my reputation much. I've actually created a new account and only mistakenly log on to this one occasionally. I'm hoping my new account gives me a fresh start since I'm now much more accustomed to the boards.

I kept it anonymous because I don't know if that member wants everyone to know, but he makes my point better than I can. This isn't a "welcome to the boards, you can't post" rule. It's just, "welcome to the boards, learn the ropes a little" rule.

Edited by Martyisth3b3st, 08 July 2011 - 01:25 PM.

Posted Image

#36 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,926 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Big man, it was just a suggestion. Holy hell do you get your feathers ruffled about the smallest sh!t. I've learned that your "way of posting" is to use absurd (oftentimes childish) over-exaggerations, but c'mon. Par even admitted himself that he had a rough go of it at the beginning because he didn't really know what deserved a thread and what didn't. He turned out to be a great addition to the boards, but he had a rough patch from the get-go. It got annoying seeing the top 7 threads all discussing something that's already being talked about! If he had been limited from the beginning and found his way around the boards before jumping on top of the "create a thread" button, he wouldn't have had half of the board hating his ass for the first few weeks he was here.

And obviously it isn't just Par, we've seen quite a few noobies come in and get thread-happy. What is so traumatizing about putting in a small learning curve? If they can't wait 50 posts to start a thread, chances are they weren't going to stick around anyway.

If you consider my last statement "ruffled" I'd hate it if you saw me as ACTUALLY upset....and looks like someone's taking a comment personally that wasn't even aimed at him (then again you're still judging my appearance on seeing me three years ago, so whatever)
it's pretty common knowledge that in the last two years this place has become a LOT more "dick-ish" and a less fun place to post....it's not from ONE person it's been a collective....between that and the growth of facebook where I can talk my sports commentary with people I ACTUALLY want to talk sports ....again to be clear... THIS IS NOT just about ONE person, so don't get too proud of yourself there..... this place is less fun then it used to be (/end emphasis).... putting MORE rules and restrictions and laying the hammer down on noobs is NOT going to change this

and yes there were idiot posters back then (redrum CERTAINLY comes to mind as one for an example).... but it was kept to HOCKEY...not personal attacks, not msg board policing (well till he had his tantrum and started locking threads because we liked Jeff Friesen :P), but it was a more respectful level of idiot.....*sigh* I hate posts like this... makes me realize I'm older and growing up :P

Plus I've never given a rat's damn about post counts.....

#37 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:21 PM

Ahh the old days.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#38 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Not a bad idea if its something like 35-40 posts. Also we could (with respect) just tell the new member that created a useless thread, a duplication or whatever that he have to look before creating a thread if it doesn't already exist etc etc etc.

I don't think that this newbies creating useless threads is such a problem in here. I mean its not like we have a ton of them. Usually the new members understand their mistakes pretty quickly and improve pretty fast.

Just wish we could get rid of that "attack the newbie" habit that some people have here. I mean its not like the guy is coming here with bad intentions.
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#39 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,926 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

(how about pinning a new user FAQ in hell....and in said FAQ encourage them to introduce themselves in a new users thread.....'tis been done on other forums too)

I'd hate to see the mental breakdowns that you guys would have with people from Singapore who can't read the English texts cards properly and keep asking the same dumb rules question on my gaming forum....now THAT'S painful and annoying :unsure:

here just to show you what I speak of:

Greetings and salutations! Welcome to GWC.

The purpose of this area is to help you get acquainted with who we are, what we do and help you navigate and join the friendliest people in Scifi. Key steps:

Your first stop
The community started this years ago. Simply a place to say hi, it is the Introduction thread

Key Forum Areas
Do you like reading? Check out our Bookclub!

Do you enjoy commenting on movies and television but your friends and family tell you to shush? Check out our Frak parties!

Have a question? Check the FAQ

Social Media
Are you on Twitter? Follow members of our community who interesting and hi-larious. Check out Badger's GWC Twitter Member list. Definitely follow GWCNews to catch the latest!

Also find us on Facebook!

#40 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

(how about pinning a new user FAQ in hell....and in said FAQ encourage them to introduce themselves in a new users thread.....'tis been done on other forums too)

I'd hate to see the mental breakdowns that you guys would have with people from Singapore who can't read the English texts cards properly and keep asking the same dumb rules question on my gaming forum....now THAT'S painful and annoying :unsure:

here just to show you what I speak of:

Greetings and salutations! Welcome to GWC.

The purpose of this area is to help you get acquainted with who we are, what we do and help you navigate and join the friendliest people in Scifi. Key steps:

Your first stop
The community started this years ago. Simply a place to say hi, it is the Introduction thread

Key Forum Areas
Do you like reading? Check out our Bookclub!

Do you enjoy commenting on movies and television but your friends and family tell you to shush? Check out our Frak parties!

Have a question? Check the FAQ

Social Media
Are you on Twitter? Follow members of our community who interesting and hi-larious. Check out Badger's GWC Twitter Member list. Definitely follow GWCNews to catch the latest!

Also find us on Facebook!

I like this a lot

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users