3 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggles1213

Wiggles1213

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

1) Current player contracts stand as-is, but with contracts signed after 7-1-2012, the cap hit is the amount a player makes that particular season, not the average of the entire contract.
Wouldn't that balance out a lot of the front loading?

2) Max player contract of 6-7 years. 10 if you drafted the player.

3) I'll call this one the 'Wade Redden' rule. If a team tries to hide a contract in the AHL, they are responsible for 1/2 the cap hit if the player is not in the final year of his contract.

4) Salary cap keeps going up and down, based on revenue. Salary floor should be kept in place (If teams can't afford it, there should not be a team in the city anyway).

5) No Gary Bettman.

Comments? Concerns? :koolaid:

#2 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:03 AM

1) Current player contracts stand as-is, but with contracts signed after 7-1-2012, the cap hit is the amount a player makes that particular season, not the average of the entire contract. Wouldn't that balance out a lot of the front loading?

The average value simplifies things for GM's and NHL bookkeeping purposes. I would put a limit on each year's salary based on the average value of the contract. Each year's salary must be within 20% of the average value. So a contract with a $5 million cap hit could only have a yearly salary as high as $6 mil, or as low as $4 mil.

2) Max player contract of 6-7 years. 10 if you drafted the player.

I think it should be based on age. If the player starts the next season at age 27 and under= 8 year limit. 28-30= 6 year limit. 31-33= 4 year limit. 34-35= 3 year limit. 36 and over= 2 year limit.

3) I'll call this one the 'Wade Redden' rule. If a team tries to hide a contract in the AHL, they are responsible for 1/2 the cap hit if the player is not in the final year of his contract.

I'd even go as far as a guaranteed cap hit for players with a true one-way contract, if they are playing in the NHL or AHL. GM's wouldn't be spending so much on marginal players.

4) Salary cap keeps going up and down, based on revenue. Salary floor should be kept in place (If teams can't afford it, there should not be a team in the city anyway).

Agree, need to keep the floor in place.

5) No Gary Bettman.

Unfortunately the Rat is here to stay.

#3 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:28 AM

*) Flat contracts. Maximum length is not a problem. Or if players cry foul about flatness, add some % inflation allowed per year.
*) Floor is now defined as a % of the cap instead of the random $16M number. It started off south of 60%, it's now 75%, how do you have a linkage CBA w/o all of the numbers being a defined %?
*) Coherant revenue sharing.
*) Bill Daly is not allowed anywhere near the writing of the CBA and the the owners camp must spend at least 2 weeks with the lawyers searching out everything they haven't imagined possible, that could be used to abuse the CBA. This will probably be alot of things.
*) More balanced schedule as the number of dates in the number of nights goes. I'm sick of 6 in 8's and things like that, I think it reduces the quality of the product, and when your booking period for the regular season is basically 6 months and a week or two, you should be able to fit 82 games w/o resorting to this.

#4 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Much too complicated just get rid of Bettman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users