No replies to this topic

#1 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

The New Jersey Devils have a rule against any of their players having a twitter account.

“Why?” You ask.

On Sunday, twitter followers of Anaheim Ducks forward Bobby Ryan (@b_ryan9)found out exactly why.

Ryan a star for the Ducks and a silver medal winner with team USA in the last Olympics took to his twitter account and let what he thought was a meaningless tweet fly. Instead what followed was a barrage of insults back and forth between an NHL star and fans.

Ryan who is a native of Southern Jersey started the tweet war of words when he asked fellow NHL player and Philadelphia Flyer James van Riemsdyk (@JVRiemer21) via twitter, “isn’t North Jersey a bad representation of the rest of the state?”

Say what!?

Apparently Mr. Ryan forgot about the 49,732 individuals following him on the social media juggernaut many of them from Northern New Jersey.

It’s conceivable that Ryan thought nobody would notice. After all as he put it, “it’s just a conversation between two pro athletes.” unfortunately that’s the problem, somebody did notice. In fact lots of people noticed. Ryan like many pro-athletes from all sports are quickly reminded that twitter is a powerful weapon and once you let a tweet go it’s often hard to take it back.

Within minutes of his derogatory tweet followers began calling Ryan out, many of them New Jersey Devils fans whom call the Northern half of the Garden State home. Although a member of the Ducks for his entire career, Ryan is one of only a handful of NHL players to come from the great state of New Jersey. Thus the reason Devils fans would be following the Western Conference star.

Ryan had a chance to make amends and apologize for his off the cuff remarks but instead of acting like the professional he is supposed to be he resorted to childhood tactics of name calling, using such words as “idiot” and “troll.” All of this broadcast across the world via the ever expanding twitter timeline. Oops!

The Anaheim Ducks PR department would not be too thrilled to find out one of their stars managed to insult thousands of folks on the East Coast. Not exactly the way the Ducks organization has traditionally represented itself.

I am sure Bobby Ryan didn’t intend to create a firestorm, but he did. Today’s pro athletes, celebrities and politicians have to use better judgment when using various forms of social media. While this isn’t exactly another congressman Anthony Weiner type scandal it is a perfect example of why teams like the Devils keep a muzzle on their own players.

Perhaps if these types of issues continue to happen we may find other franchises following in the footsteps of the team from North Jersey.Follow me on twitter! @westcoastdevfan

View the full article
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users