Photo

The death of rock radio in NYC...again...

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

A country music station would actually make a ton of sense as there isn't a country presense in New York, yet there are a suprising amount people in this area who enjoy it. That, along with the fact modern country music is twangy pop anyway, and it would do decently.

Shame about the death of rock radio but it's a sign of the times, especially in big markets like NYC. Problem is, radio survives on advertisers and perks from record labels. Labels used to support stations by the way of concert tickets, promotional CD's, etc and in return, the stations would play that label's music. Not quite the "payola / playola" issue from the eighties, but similar. Problem is, the record industry is hemmoraging money, so there isn't as much cash to promote artists via the radio anymore, especially when you can promote via social networking for a fraction of the cost.

Less giveaways lead to less incentive for people to turn off satelite radio, iPods and CD to listen to the radio. Less people listening leads to fewer advertisers paying for spots which means less money for the sation to pay for DJ's, FCC fees, etc. As for playing the same crap over and over again, the stations are all owned by major corporations who don't care what you want to listen to. All they care about is what songs keep people listening long enough to sit through the commercials. Also, ever notice how it seems like whenever a station goes to commercials, all the stations go to commercials? That isn't an accident! So, if having a spot that says, "Lady Gaga will be on in 60 seconds" keeps people listening, they're not changing that for Death Cab For Cutie.

Sorry for the long, rambling post, but I love radio or I should say, "the potential of radio". The further away you get from major markets, the better it gets but American radio in general is a dying business model. Radio needs to become more listener supported not corporation supported, much like PBS. Keep costs down, put programming on your listeners want to hear and radio could see a resurgence.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#22 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

A country music station would actually make a ton of sense as there isn't a country presense in New York, yet there are a suprising amount people in this area who enjoy it. That, along with the fact modern country music is twangy pop anyway, and it would do decently.

Shame about the death of rock radio but it's a sign of the times, especially in big markets like NYC. Problem is, radio survives on advertisers and perks from record labels. Labels used to support stations by the way of concert tickets, promotional CD's, etc and in return, the stations would play that label's music. Not quite the "payola / playola" issue from the eighties, but similar. Problem is, the record industry is hemmoraging money, so there isn't as much cash to promote artists via the radio anymore, especially when you can promote via social networking for a fraction of the cost.

Less giveaways lead to less incentive for people to turn off satelite radio, iPods and CD to listen to the radio. Less people listening leads to fewer advertisers paying for spots which means less money for the sation to pay for DJ's, FCC fees, etc. As for playing the same crap over and over again, the stations are all owned by major corporations who don't care what you want to listen to. All they care about is what songs keep people listening long enough to sit through the commercials. Also, ever notice how it seems like whenever a station goes to commercials, all the stations go to commercials? That isn't an accident! So, if having a spot that says, "Lady Gaga will be on in 60 seconds" keeps people listening, they're not changing that for Death Cab For Cutie.

Sorry for the long, rambling post, but I love radio or I should say, "the potential of radio". The further away you get from major markets, the better it gets but American radio in general is a dying business model. Radio needs to become more listener supported not corporation supported, much like PBS. Keep costs down, put programming on your listeners want to hear and radio could see a resurgence.

Good post, thanks for shedding light on what's happening behind the scenes. A listener-run radio station would be interesting, but I wonder if enough people would support it for it to stay afloat.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#23 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

Good post, thanks for shedding light on what's happening behind the scenes. A listener-run radio station would be interesting, but I wonder if enough people would support it for it to stay afloat.

It could, but without some sort of corporate support, it wont work in a major market. Problem is, the wider your range of broadcast, the more expensive the licensing fees get. For listener supported radio to work, they would have to limit the range of the stations. This would naturally lead to more variety, but you'ld get more frustration for listeners as their favorite station wouldn't have the range of the major stations now. Plus, instead of commercials, you'ld have donation drives, much like you do on public TV. Not the worst thing in the world, but again you're competing with CD's, iPods, satellite and other mobile entertainment. Again, it would have to be a fine balance but if could work.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#24 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

I heard it's going to be a talk-radio station geared toward women, ages 30s-40s.

#25 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Tonight's the last night for 101.9 WRXP. They'll be off-air permanently as of 10 PM tonight. Much as they annoyed me with the song selection some times (I really don't need to here Red Hot Chili Peppers every hour), it's sad that there's once again nowhere to find good new alt rock music on the radio in this area.

That said, check them out over the next two hours, the DJs are breaking playlists and playing some solid stuff, and they're giving away a sh!t ton of concert tickets. Enjoy it while it lasts, gang. :evilcry:

you can tell how much i listen to the radio when i thought that was cd 101.9 or maybe a cool/light jazz station

i only listen to 101.5 on fm :unsure:

#26 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

RXP sounds like it's still on the air so what happened :noclue:

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#27 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

That's unfortunate. I like WRXP.

#28 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

That's what the internet's for, not that it helps when I'm driving.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#29 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

RXP sounds like it's still on the air so what happened :noclue:

Until the new station is ready to take over (presumably Monday) they are just playing random music, no DJ's...definitely some stuff that didn't fit a typical RXP playlist but at least some of the songs are there.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#30 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

Yeah it's going to be a little while until the new station's up, but the call-out jingles are cheesy generic 101.9 jingles, and the music is WPLJ-stytle adult alternative (Goo Goo Dolls, Tragic Kingdom-era No Doubt, Maroon 5, etc.)

Seems like they rushed RXP off the air without even having the new station ready to go in it's place. Shame.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#31 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Until the new station is ready to take over (presumably Monday) they are just playing random music, no DJ's...definitely some stuff that didn't fit a typical RXP playlist but at least some of the songs are there.

Yeah listened again today and it was definitely not RXP music

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#32 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

From 6 AM to 12 PM 91.5 FM in NYC plays alternative rock. I've found it quite enjoyable and to be honest they play a lot of stuff that RXP couldn't fit into their playlist. Here is an example of today's playlist if anyone was wondering. The only thing that sucks is its not available all day unless you can stream it online. Still a decent alternative.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#33 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

From 6 AM to 12 PM 91.5 FM in NYC plays alternative rock. I've found it quite enjoyable and to be honest they play a lot of stuff that RXP couldn't fit into their playlist. Here is an example of today's playlist if anyone was wondering. The only thing that sucks is its not available all day unless you can stream it online. Still a decent alternative.

Ya know, I tried a bunch of times to listen to this station within those hours, but I just can't get into it. The music selection doesn't rock enough for my tastes.

#34 FloyddGondolli

FloyddGondolli

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Long live Grock radio.

#35 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

Damn it I saw this thread revived and thought there might be news of a new rock radio station.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#36 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Ya know, I tried a bunch of times to listen to this station within those hours, but I just can't get into it. The music selection doesn't rock enough for my tastes.

I understand, they definitely play a lot more indie/art rock stuff than a typical station like RXP or KROCK did. Its not for everyone but I enjoy it since my musical taste are weird.

Long live Grock radio.

I'm still upset about that. I had only found out about GRock weeks before they went off air. At least in that short time frame it turned me onto a lot of artists I never heard before.

#37 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the mention of 89.5 I really like this screaming metalcore garbage. :clap:

815631765.gif

#38 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

It's baaaaaaaaaaack!

http://www.crainsnew...NMENT/120719897

Okay, so it's not exactly RXP just yet, but I dare say so far, it's better than it was when RXP was killed just under a year ago.

Currently, there are no DJs. There are no commercials (I'm assuming because the switch was sudden and they don't have sponsors). It's just modern rock music.

So far I've heard: Florence + The Machine (twice), The Killers (new song), Nirvana (twice), Gorillaz, The Lumineers, The Royal Concept, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park (twice, but both new songs and both surprisingly good). Not bad so far. Keep an eye (ear?) on this, I think there's potential for success, especially since they went back to RXP-style music in a market that's terribly underserved for that kind of stuff.

Edited by thelastonealive, 17 July 2012 - 07:54 PM.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#39 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Wow, nice. I still don't have satellite radio, so I'll definitely check it out.

#40 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Somebody beat me to it!
:yea:
This is great!
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16