213 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

Sad day for us, but it was bound to happen eventually.

http://devils.nhl.co...s.htm?id=569804

Hope they raise his 'number' to the rafters this season.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#2 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

Doc was the best! Really tough to see him go.Kind of had the feeling with Cangelosi doing so many games last year.

I pray to god that Steve Cangelosi doesn't take over but I have a feeling he will. Seems like a good guy but terrible voice, doesn't build suspense like doc, and can't say SCORE properly, just all around below average IMO.
Posted Image

#3 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

Wait, what? As in, he's gone gone?!?

Oh..my god..

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#4 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

terrible loss....
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#5 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

Wow! This is incredibly sad news. You had to know it was going to happen sooner, rather than later, but I still can't comprehend watching the Devils all season without Doc calling the games. Looks like it's going to be Cangi's time to shine. Sad day in Devils history.
Posted Image

#6 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

I will miss Doc a lot as he was just as identifiable with the franchise as Marty, Stevens, Dano and Elias.

I will miss his passion, intelligence and storytelling.

Oh the glory days.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#7 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Sad day but this was bound to happen eventually. He left for greener pastures and most likely a better travel schedule so I cannot blame him at all for his decision.

I have a feeling Cangi will not be doing the play by play as the permanent replacement, but probably will be the fill-in until someone else can be found. I think Cangi is not bad and got better at doing it as he got more games in last season.

The radio booth could use an overhaul but that is another story.

#8 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

No no, this is no bueno. I can't take cangi every game...and Doc was the only thing that made some of Chico's ramblings tolerable... :saddevil:

Edit: Gary Thorne, anyone? :rolleyes:

Edited by Devilsfan118, 21 July 2011 - 10:15 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#9 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

I will miss hearing Docs voice on opening night. He's the true guy the Devils lost this off-season and such a nice and classy goodbye letter.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#10 twillms73

twillms73

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

Very sad to see Doc go. He's 65 and doesn't want to travel as often. I get that. If Cangilosi is tapped, I'm cool with that. He knows the team and does fine job. I hope to hear him supposedly mis-pronounce "SCORE" a lot this year. Anyone who comes in has huge shoes to fill. Steve has already performed admirably. Maybe a Gary Thorne return? Maybe I'll send my demo to Lou and MSG? LOL.

All the best, Doc!!
Tom Willms
IYMSportsRadio.com

#11 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:17 AM

No no, this is no bueno. I can't take cangi every game...and Doc was the only thing that made some of Chico's ramblings tolerable... :saddevil:

Edit: Gary Thorne, anyone? :rolleyes:

Gary Thorne would be a good replacement, but I still am irked by his whole Avalanche love-fest he put on in 2001.

Isn't Thorne though still bound by his contract in Baltimore anyways so he wouldn't even able to replace Doc for some time?

#12 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,901 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

fvck. This sucks major balls. Best of luck Doc. There truly is no one better. You will be sorely missed by Devils fans everywhere.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#13 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

Very sad to see Doc go. He's 65 and doesn't want to travel as often. I get that. If Cangilosi is tapped, I'm cool with that. He knows the team and does fine job. I hope to hear him supposedly mis-pronounce "SCORE" a lot this year. Anyone who comes in has huge shoes to fill. Steve has already performed admirably. Maybe a Gary Thorne return? Maybe I'll send my demo to Lou and MSG? LOL.

All the best, Doc!!

I kinda like Cangi's "SHAWT SCAAARRRRR!!!"

#14 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

Gary Thorne would be a good replacement, but I still am irked by his whole Avalanche love-fest he put on in 2001.

Isn't Thorne though still bound by his contract in Baltimore anyways so he wouldn't even able to replace Doc for some time?

Same, with regards to the 2001 P.O's, but yeah I think he's under contract for at least another year. Not sure about specifics

Edited by Devilsfan118, 21 July 2011 - 10:22 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

#15 Dadds

Dadds

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
"I think I'm going to become a Devils fan so they start never winning again." A sad flyers fan

"**** this. NJ might as well be allowed to build a brick wall in front of the net and let Marty sit on the bench. Would be no difference" A sad penguins fan

#16 Parisalchuk

Parisalchuk

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Zomg does this mean more "SHAT SCARRRRRR"?

#17 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Horrible day. I am more saddened by this than any player we lost in free agency.....

It just won't be the same....

:(

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#18 imissricher

imissricher

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

Season ticket sales should increase now. His voice was that good.
"All certified mail is registered...but registered mail is not necessarily certified." --- Newman

imissricher: i got an andrew peters mystery puck last year - not sure i could have gotten a worse player.

DevsMan84: A puck signed by Leeroy at the concession stand would have been better.

Posted Image

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Sorry to see him go, but we were lucky to have him as long as we did. Hope everything works out for him.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#20 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

All the best, Doc!!

Thorne would be an interesting choice. He called Devils games before Doc, but he makes a lot of mistakes (i.e. Friesen's goal against Ottawa in game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals in 2003). He kind of reminds me a John Sterling trying to determine if a lazy fly to right is going to reach the seats...yes, no, yes...maybe?

I like Cangi, but, as was previously stated, there is no buildup or set-up in his calls and his "SCARRR" is annoying. No matter who takes over, we are bound to hate him as that person will always be compared to, and will never be able to live up to, the bar which was set so incredibly high by Doc.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users