213 replies to this topic

#41 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

I hate Matt. He is terrible and every time I am in the car listening to a game on the radio I am screaming at it for him to tell me the score which he only does either right before or after commercials (which can sometimes be 10-15 minutes) If Cangi sounds less-than-excited during his calling of the game, then Matty is sleep-walking through his and always seems to be a good 25 seconds behind play. His partner Sherri is terrible too and provides nothing in-depth other than the blatently obvious.

Agreed. Matt is horrible. All he does is constantly repeat the same info over and over in a drawn out, stalling kind of way. Always well behind the play too

The one thing that I can knock Cangi on is that every time I see him interviewing someone, he looks like he is about to go in for a nice big kiss. Kinda creepy.

I'm agreeing w everything ur saying today lol. He always has that I'm in love look.

#42 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Do you guys think maybe Chico might retire?

I'm here for the party

#43 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Damn. Doc has been announcing Devils since as long as I can remember. At least he didn't end up with the Pens as some thought could happen.
Posted Image Posted Image

#44 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Do you guys think maybe Chico might retire?

If he does Daneyko would be a suitable replacement.
Posted Image

#45 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

Very sad. I love Doc, but its understanable he wants less work. Doesn't make my day any less ruined though..

Yeah his avs love affair was so blatant. You could tell he hated a devils win.

He's bound to Baltimore but they won't make the playoffs. I would love for him to be the replacement.

That year, yeah. But listen to Thorne in 2000. He was getting jacked for the Devils, especially some Marty's big saves. The only reason he and ABC so badly wanted the Aves in 2001 was because everyone outside of Northern Jersey wanted Bourque to win the cup.

I also wouldn't mind another former Devils backup... Kevin Weekes. I like him from what I've seen on NHL Network. Very intelligent, knows the game. We're gonna have to see how many hotdogs he can eat, though.

Damn. Doc has been announcing Devils since as long as I can remember. At least he didn't end up with the Pens as some thought could happen.

Is calling for NBC and VS really much different than calling exclusively for the Penguins?
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#46 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

then it's settled, the devils must make it to the stanley cup finals so we can get what is rightfully ours; our voice doc emrick

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#47 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

I would much rather listen to Matt or Cangi call a hockey game then Sam Rosen or Jack Edwards

Jack Edwards sucks as an announcer (he was worse on Sportscenter), but he does give you golden nuggests like yelling at Montreal Canadiens players to "GET UP!" during the run of play, and talking about the Boston Tea Party after the team wins a playoff series.
Posted Image

#48 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

I was thinking the same. I feel like Chico doesn't have a friend in the booth now, you know? uh oh... I'm tearing up and getting a lump in my throat! OH FOR GAW^&%#$*^&Q#$*(%^#Q$^&*.... seriously :rolleyes: <_< You'd think I was reading Old Yeller <_<

I'm here for the party

#49 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

If you think Chico is a homer, then wait until you see how Daneyko will do.

Every time he is on Hockey Night Live he kinda makes a little bit of a fool of himself because he really cannot bring himself to criticize the Devils in anything they do, even though Butch, Don, and Bon Jovi can criticize their own team no problem if it is the truth.

#50 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

I also wouldn't mind another former Devils backup... Kevin Weekes. I like him from what I've seen on NHL Network. Very intelligent, knows the game. We're gonna have to see how many hotdogs he can eat, though.

i would be pleased with Weekes...very happy go lucky and enjoyable and i think he could deal with chico's mis-steps well

but its going to be my not as good looking brother Cangi....Shootttsss and Sccccoooressss

oy vey
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#51 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

I just got sad when I realized that if Marty does retire this year, it won't be Doc calling his last game... :(
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#52 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

That year, yeah. But listen to Thorne in 2000. He was getting jacked for the Devils, especially some Marty's big saves. The only reason he and ABC so badly wanted the Aves in 2001 was because everyone outside of Northern Jersey wanted Bourque to win the cup.

Is calling for NBC and VS really much different than calling exclusively for the Penguins?

In the series before against Philly in 2000, Thorne had his love affair with the Flyers, especially Tocchet and Recchi.

I can still remember that one phrase he did in the 2001 cup finals when Bourque scored a goal at CAA with a slapper from the point "Bourque!! Wish a laser!!!" Never said anything near that when the Devils scored in that series.

#53 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

i would be pleased with Weekes...very happy go lucky and enjoyable and i think he could deal with chico's mis-steps well

but its going to be my not as good looking brother Cangi....Shootttsss and Sccccoooressss

oy vey

I meant Weekes would be a good replacement for Chico if he decided to leave, too.

#54 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

Classy and heart-felt letter by Doc
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#55 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Yeah his avs love affair was so blatant. You could tell he hated a devils win.

He's bound to Baltimore but they won't make the playoffs. I would love for him to be the replacement.

If you want to bring back Thorne then you'd better get rid of Chico. One airhead's fine for entertainment but two would just be a total trainwreck :lol:

I'd rather not though, I mean the game was too fast for Gary six years ago and he's six years older now. He's got a great voice but let him stick to baseball now. Cangi gets a bit of a bad rap but he was a lot better on TV this year than Matt's been on the radio.

Classy and heart-felt letter by Doc

Agreed.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 21 July 2011 - 11:06 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#56 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Wow, I'm devastated. :( Knew this could happen, but still hoped for him to stay. Well, as someone else said, at least he's not going to Pittsburgh.

All the best to him. He's an absolute legend.

Holik for color! :P

#57 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

Randy Velischek might be an interesting replacement for Chico, but I think he is a little too subdued for TV.

#58 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

holik and roenick would be amazing.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#59 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

I just got sad when I realized that if Marty does retire this year, it won't be Doc calling his last game... :(

I'm guessing that if Marty makes it known that he'll be playing his last game, either Versus or NBC will pick it up. I think that's a definite.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#60 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

If you want to bring back Thorne then you'd better get rid of Chico. One airhead's fine for entertainment but two would just be a total trainwreck :lol:

I'd rather not though, I mean the game was too fast for Gary six years ago and he's six years older now. He's got a great voice but let him stick to baseball now. Cangi gets a bit of a bad rap but he was a lot better on TV this year than Matt's been on the radio.

Agreed.

Totally agree about Cangi being far better than Matty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users