213 replies to this topic

#121 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

then it's settled, the devils must make it to the stanley cup finals so we can get what is rightfully ours; our voice doc emrick

nominated for POD.....

#122 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thank god this came after the announcement of DeBoer otherwise I would have just lost it.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#123 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

Thank god this came after the announcement of DeBoer otherwise I would have just lost it.

I bet Doc was waiting. He's that considerate!

I'm here for the party

#124 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

This sucks.

:evilcry:

Best of luck, Doc. You'll be sorely missed.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#125 imissricher

imissricher

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

I love that Doc Emrick is trending on Twitter - that's great stuff.
"All certified mail is registered...but registered mail is not necessarily certified." --- Newman

imissricher: i got an andrew peters mystery puck last year - not sure i could have gotten a worse player.

DevsMan84: A puck signed by Leeroy at the concession stand would have been better.

Posted Image

#126 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

I love that Doc Emrick is trending on Twitter - that's great stuff.

We're all over it in the Devils' office here lol

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#127 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

We're all over it in the Devils' office here lol

How often are you there now?

#128 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

I bet Doc was waiting. He's that considerate!

I completely agree

#129 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

DONNIE PUCKS!

#130 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

Pretty good blog post on this by one of the Devils Generals..

http://wp.me/p1juel-om

Here's a snippet of the blog post:

I am a fairly young sports fan. My father had the pleasure of hearing the great Mel Allen call Yankee games when he was younger. I was too young to really remember Phil Rizzuto’s glory days in the booth. But both provided a fantastic soundtrack to the games people watched growing up. When they left, things just weren’t the same. Not worse, just not the same.

Mike “Doc” Emrick stepped down today as the New Jersey Devils play-by-play man ending a 21-year career with the team and MSG Networks. I could not be more sad and bummed out for myself and Devils fans around. The man was the soundtrack to my childhood. The first voice I ever heard calling hockey was Gary Thorne. Then a couple of years later Doc came back to the Devils and took over for the next 20 years and became the voice synonymous with the rise of a team I love so much. And the fact that he was the best in the business and WE had him as our play-by-play guy was really a treat. One that some of us may not have realized until the last couple of years. Just like how we get to tell our children we got to watch Martin Brodeur play every day, we can also tell them we got to listen to Doc Emrick every game.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#131 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

then it's settled, the devils must make it to the stanley cup finals so we can get what is rightfully ours; our voice doc emrick

second that

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#132 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

Not suprised at all that Doc bowed out. Its a tribute to him that he's put-in 21 consecutive years with the Devils "commuting" 800 miles to New Jersey from Port Huron on top of his national TV duties. After a while it just catches up with you and NBC Sports certainly seems to be going "all in" with their hockey broadcasts getting Pierre McGuire full-time as well.

I see Cangi being the play-by-play guy for the future. 1- He's been with MSG and the organization for a while. 2- He's probably relatively cheap compaired with the Dave Straders, Jack Edwards, and Pat Foleys of the world.

Then again there's always Paul Steigerwold who was sent to the studio by the Penguins starting next season. :argh: :argh: :argh:

#133 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

Not suprised at all that Doc bowed out. Its a tribute to him that he's put-in 21 consecutive years with the Devils "commuting" 800 miles to New Jersey from Port Huron on top of his national TV duties. After a while it just catches up with you and NBC Sports certainly seems to be going "all in" with their hockey broadcasts getting Pierre McGuire full-time as well.

I see Cangi being the play-by-play guy for the future. 1- He's been with MSG and the organization for a while. 2- He's probably relatively cheap compaired with the Dave Straders, Jack Edwards, and Pat Foleys of the world.

Then again there's always Paul Steigerwold who was sent to the studio by the Penguins starting next season. :argh: :argh: :argh:

Pat Foley would be great. I want him to go off on Rolston and Clarkson if they are traded like he did with Karpovtsev.

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,753 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Pat Foley would be great. I want him to go off on Rolston and Clarkson if they are traded like he did with Karpovtsev.

yeah, because they deserve that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#135 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

yeah, because they deserve that.

They do.

#136 xxchaznjxx

xxchaznjxx

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

i was very bummed when i heard this today. he's such a class act and was a great voice for the devils over his career. i love listening to him and will miss him tremendously. we've been spoiled having him. i wish he had a number that we could retire.

i know cangelosi's going to get the gig, i can't say i'm happy about that.

Edited by xxchaznjxx, 21 July 2011 - 04:38 PM.

#137 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Always knew this day would come and it was approaching but I wasn't expecting this just yet. I can't thank Doc enough for his play calling and personality. I'm only 23 so Devil games won't be the same without him. I wish him the best and I hope when he retires for good that the Devils do something formal to honor him.

At first I couldn't stand Cangialosi but over the years he's really grown on me and I think I may be one of the few that wouldn't mind him being the new play by play guy. No one can measure up to Doc but Cangialosi does a decent job of calling the game in my opinion. Obviously calling radio is different than television but I can't stand Loughlin's calling when I'm stuck tuning in driving back from class. As mentioned earlier in the thread he doesn't really help the listener know whats going on regarding time/score too often.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 21 July 2011 - 04:53 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#138 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

Simply the best there is, and it's been an honor and a pleasure to have had him here with us. Thanks for everything Doc!

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#139 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

it was a pleasure hearing/seeing him call Devils games for the last few years i've been watching hockey from across the pond.
i was even hoping to meet him when i eventually see a home game.

i grew quickly to him, and i honestly thought we had the best pair of announcers across the league.

he will be sorely missed!

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#140 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

Good for Doc, Sad for us. Really amazing broadcaster. One of my favorite Doc moments from the past couple of years was when during a Flyers-Devils he was doing pbp for the numbers on the ice with the corresponding players from 20 years ago. He did it for a few shifts too!

Thanks Doc, for the memories. Enjoy your "new" job.

Great post Rock. Thanks for remembering that.

atlanta's play by play guy was decent, maybe NJ should consider him.

That's really funny
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users