124 replies to this topic

#1 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,037 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

How great is it that we can FINALLY start this thread?! Let's talk some NFL football baby!!! Gonna be a crazy couple weeks coming up!! Should be a lot of fun for everyone, so let's enjoy and celebrate the return of the NFL in this thread, as well as talk about all general NFL news and notes for the 2011 season here.

Edited by MadDog2020, 25 July 2011 - 02:11 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#2 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Lets go Giants! I'm hoping they sign Plax, they would have multiple red zone threats. That and he would torch us if he signed in Philly.

#3 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,037 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Here's to hoping the Fins sign either Ahmad Bradshaw or DeAngelo Williams. I'd prefer Bradshaw, as he is younger I believe. I'm also kinda hoping we make a play for Vince Young as well. Teams can begin negotiating with players and make "unofficial" deals starting tomorrow. Can. Not. Wait.

#4 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

Odin be Praised! This news is quite welcomed.

GO RAVENS!!!! Got my new Ngata and Suggs pro jersey's for this year Super Bowl Win!!!!
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#5 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

The Cowboys need either Nnamdi or Huff from oakland. Both and I'll be giddy, one of the two and I'll be pumped, neither of the two and I'll be pretty pissed. We've got serious secondary concerns that, without any doubt, need to be addressed.

I'd really like to see Barber cut/traded, keeping Free is a MUST (cut Big L if you need to make room), and Roy Williams should definitely be on his way out -- Bryant, Austin, Ogeltree is a top 3 that will win you a lot of football games (not to mention Witten being a #1 option anyway).

Even after last years' disaster, I think the bar this year for expectations should be set at 10-6. We've got a top quarterback, one of the best defensive players in the game, solid RB/WR depth, and HOPEFULLY a coach who knows how to handle all of the talent.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#6 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

The Barbarian? Cut?

Edited by MantaRay, 25 July 2011 - 02:48 PM.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#7 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

These are the terms, in case anyone was curious

TERM:

· The fixed term of the agreement covers the 2011 through 2020 seasons and includes the 2021 draft.

PLAYER HEALTH AND SAFETY:

· Immediate implementation of changes to promote player health and safety by:

o Reducing the off-season program by five weeks, reducing OTAs from 14 to 10;
o Limiting on-field practice time and contact;
o Limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season;
o Increasing number of days off for players.

· Opportunity for current players to remain in the player medical plan for life.
· An enhanced injury protection benefit of up to $1 million of a player’s salary for the contract year after his injury and up to $500,000 in the second year after his injury.
· No change to the 16-4 season format until at least 2013; any subsequent increase in the number of regular-season games must be made by agreement with the NFL Players Association.
· $50 million per year joint fund for medical research, healthcare programs, and NFL Charities, including NFLPA-related charities.

RETIRED PLAYER BENEFITS:

· Over the next 10 years, additional funding for retiree benefits of between $900 million and $1 billion. The largest single amount, $620 million, will be used for a new "Legacy Fund," which will be devoted to increasing pensions for pre-1993 retirees.
· Other improvements will be made to post-career medical options, the disability plan, the 88 Plan, career transition and degree completion programs, and the Player Care Plan.

DRAFT/FREE AGENCY SYSTEM:

· An annual Draft of seven rounds plus compensatory picks for teams which lose free agents.
· Unrestricted free agency for players after four accrued seasons; restricted free agency for players with three accrued seasons.
· Free agency exceptions (franchise and transition players).

ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION SYSTEM:

· New entry-level compensation system including the following elements:

o All drafted players sign four-year contracts.
o Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts.
o Maximum total compensation per draft class.
o Limited contract terms.
o Strong anti-holdout rules.
o Clubs have option to extend the contract of a first-round draftee for a fifth year, based on agreed-upon tender amounts.

· Creation of new fund to redistribute, beginning in 2012, savings from new rookie pay system to current and retired player benefits and a veteran player performance pool.

ECONOMICS:

· Salary cap plus benefits of $142.4 million per club in 2011 ($120.375 million for salary and bonus) and at least that amount in 2012 and 2013.
· Beginning in 2012, salary cap to be set based on a combined share of “all revenue,” a new model differentiated by revenue source with no expense reductions. Players will receive 55 percent of national media revenue, 45 percent of NFL Ventures revenue, and 40 percent of local club revenue.
· Beginning in 2012, annual "true up" to reflect revenue increases or decreases versus projections.
· Clubs receive credit for actual stadium investment and up to 1.5 percent of revenue each year.
· Player share must average at least 47 percent for the 10-year term of the agreement.
· League-wide commitment to cash spending of 99 percent of the cap in 2011 and 2012.
· For the 2013-2016 seasons, and again for the 2017-2020 seasons, the clubs collectively will commit to cash spending of at least 95 percent of the cap.
· Each club committed to cash spending of 89 percent of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.
· Increases to minimum salaries of 10 percent in Year 1 with continuing increases each year of the agreement.

2011-2012 TRANSITION RULES:

· Special transition rules to protect veteran players in 2011. All teams will have approximately $3.5 million in what would otherwise be performance-based pay available to fund veteran player salaries.
· Each club may "borrow" up to $3 million in cap room from a future year, which may be used to support veteran player costs.
· In 2012, each club may "borrow" up to $1.5 million in cap room from a future year. Both these amounts would be repaid in future years.

OTHER:

· No judicial oversight of the agreement. Neutral arbitrators jointly appointed by the NFL and NFLPA will resolve disputes as appropriate.
· Settlement of all pending litigation.

The Barbarian? Cut?

His running style didn't allow him to continue to be a beast more than the first few years he was a Cowboy. He's overpaid and probably the 3rd best running back on our roster right now.

Posted Image

#8 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

His running style didn't allow him to continue to be a beast more than the first few years he was a Cowboy. He's overpaid and probably the 3rd best running back on our roster right now.

I am a big fan running back by committee. I would love if we were able to keep McGahee and McClain.

I think with Romo healthy, the threat of Austin and Bryant make Jones, Choice and Barber that much more effective.
I though Barber had a bad foot injury all year that hampered him.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#9 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

I am a big fan running back by committee. I would love if we were able to keep McGahee and McClain.

I think with Romo healthy, the threat of Austin and Bryant make Jones, Choice and Barber that much more effective.
I though Barber had a bad foot injury all year that hampered him.

It's been a steady decline since 2007, without a doubt. I would much rather see Felix and Choice carry the load and spend 7.6 million dollars on a player like Huff

Posted Image

#10 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

I am happy the NFL's back but I expect the rug to be pulled out from under me with all these Jet FA's (Braylon, Cromartie, Santonio, Brad Smith, Ellis) and being over the cap to start with. Tannenbaum's pretty resilient though so I don't think the Jets'll be completely decimated but they probably won't be the team they were last year.

I wonder if instead of seeing guys cut en masse they get traded to teams like Tampa and Cinci who are like $50-60 million under the floor. Maybe there'll actually be a few more trades than normal for this reason, plus a couple of QB's that are available.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#11 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

I am happy the NFL's back but I expect the rug to be pulled out from under me with all these Jet FA's (Braylon, Cromartie, Santonio, Brad Smith, Ellis) and being over the cap to start with. Tannenbaum's pretty resilient though so I don't think the Jets'll be completely decimated but they probably won't be the team they were last year.

I wonder if instead of seeing guys cut en masse they get traded to teams like Tampa and Cinci who are like $50-60 million under the floor. Maybe there'll actually be a few more trades than normal for this reason, plus a couple of QB's that are available.

They only thing you have going for you with the Jets is that Ryan has an intangible element that makes players stay with him or join him. I heard Holmes will be highly sought after by the Deadskins, but who is their QB this year?
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#12 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

They only thing you have going for you with the Jets is that Ryan has an intangible element that makes players stay with him or join him. I heard Holmes will be highly sought after by the Deadskins, but who is their QB this year?

Every free agent in the history of forever will be highly sought after by the numbnuts Dan Snyder. As long as Snyder and Al Davis are in the league, I don't have to worry about having the worst GM.

Posted Image

#13 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Well that'll be put to the test this year, whether players will REALLY take less to play for Rex. At least the Jets can restructure a couple of deals to get room (Harris, for one since he's currently under the franchise tag) but not having an exclusive window hurts teams with a lot of FA's. Then again I don't think any of those guys with the possible exception of Braylon and Ellis would sign before going UFA anyway.

Who knows who the Skins' QB will be, I assume they're giving Grossman another year unless they trade for someone (it won't be Kolb who's all but signed, sealed and delivered to Arizona, supposedly for Rogers-Cromartie and a pick).

Edited by NJDevs4978, 25 July 2011 - 03:57 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#14 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Every free agent in the history of forever will be highly sought after by the numbnuts Dan Snyder. As long as Snyder and Al Davis are in the league, I don't have to worry about having the worst GM.

Or worry about the Redskins or Raiders as a competitive threat.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#15 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

When does free agency officially start and how much of frenzy do you think it will be? Sorry, I'm a casual football fan (Go Giants!) and I haven't been following the lockout that closely.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#16 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

Teams can talk to FA's pretty much right away but nobody can officially sign till Friday 6 PM (aside from draft picks and undrafted FA's, who can sign tomorrow). I think trades can occur starting tomorrow as well. Cuts don't happen till Thursday though.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 25 July 2011 - 08:21 PM.

#17 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

Teams can talk to FA's pretty much right away but nobody can officially sign till Friday 6 PM (aside from draft picks and undrafted FA's, who can sign tomorrow). I think trades can occur starting tomorrow as well. Cuts don't happen till Thursday though.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to seeing how crazy things get!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#18 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

Not to be outdone in their constant quest to become the NFL equivalent of the Canes, the Ravens have signed former RB Damien Berry. I was absolutely amazed he didn't get drafted: 900 yards and a 6.6YPC in 2010 against some of the best run defenses in the FBS. Another solid signing for the Ravens.

[]_[] it up.

Posted Image

#19 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,037 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Ravens cut Todd Heap too. I wasn't that surprised when I saw he was due over $4 mil this year in base salary.

#20 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

Ravens cut Todd Heap too. I wasn't that surprised when I saw he was due over $4 mil this year in base salary.

Mason, Heap, McGahee.. quite a few name players. It's clear they're trying to get younger.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users