296 replies to this topic

#241 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Happy to see Rolston go, although only because of his salary. If he had a 2,5M salary I'd happily see him stay.

Let's hope Parise is willing to sign long term so we can get a moderate cap hit. Something like Kovys or the recent Richards deal in NY.
Posted Image

#242 xxchaznjxx

xxchaznjxx

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

claiming that we lose offense with this trade is laughable. i expect more just from kovy and tedenby alone. and then you add a full season(fingers crossed) with parise. the offense will be there.

i think this team will be dangerous this season. i believe a lot of our early season problems last season were due to mclean, as evidenced by the turnaround once lemaire came on board. and i read that deboer plays a similar style to sutter, which i think will benefit our forwards. i believe parise had his best season productivly under sutter.

sure, if we start out slow there will be people jumping off bridges, but so far i like the team we will be icing. i don't know what kind of monumental changes we could have made to make us a "stanley cup contender".

#243 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

I was so excited at work today, looked on the front page of TSN and saw the news and my boss probably raised his eyebrows as he was looking by...so glad! As far as I'm concerned, if we had had to buy out Rolston, it would've been 500k more cap hit than this is, and we get a return of a player about at Rolston's level. I've been waiting for this trade for a while.

After reading this thread for a bit I'm in agreement with people that think we're in year 3 of a "retooling" phase. I think we don't really have such a shot at a cup, but we definitely will make the playoffs, and I think we could make it through a round or so. Hopefully the team can develop chemistry under a new coach, a new captain (Zach :pray:) and with the loss of a few older players (Lags, Arnott, Rolston). If we develop Tedenby, Josefson, Taormina, Fayne, Larsson, etc, who all seem to be NHL-ready players at this point, not just guys with "potential" (like Merrill and co.), we can replace the old guard and after Moose is done after this season, we'll be in good shape for the future. I'm very glad we have Greene wrapped up, along with Volchenkov and Tallinder, and I'm looking forward to the team in the future.

Very funny comment on TSN by a Canucks fan, thought this would be a great trade for both teams:
NJ gets: Schneider, Ballard, high pick (1st or 2nd)
VAN gets: Parise, low pick
Thought it was hilarious. Either Parise is extremely undervalued in the league or the Canucks are high on their backups. Just imagine subbing Ovechkin/Crosby/Stamkos into that deal...not even close.

#244 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

claiming that we lose offense with this trade is laughable. i expect more just from kovy and tedenby alone. and then you add a full season(fingers crossed) with parise. the offense will be there.

Kovy and Tedenby weren't in the trade. I think the Devils did lose offense in the deal, it didn't make it a bad trade though.

hunter was a solid player before injuries, i don't exactly see his spot on this team, kinda hoping he gets bought out. although it does look like he was kind of a territorial champ for the islanders.

I'm not sure anyone, Isles or Devils, knows what to expect from Hunter. Coming off the MCL, if he copes with it well and his rehab made his knees feel even better than he could be a helpful lower line guy. If his knees are done and he skates even worse than before then he can't be in the NHL. I think it's worth the gamble for the Devils to find out in camp rather than buy him out this season.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#245 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

I'm not sure anyone, Isles or Devils, knows what to expect from Hunter. Coming off the MCL, if he copes with it well and his rehab made his knees feel even better than he could be a helpful lower line guy. If his knees are done and he skates even worse than before then he can't be in the NHL. I think it's worth the gamble for the Devils to find out in camp rather than buy him out this season.

Exactly. If he's healthy and hasn't lost much, the guy is a very competent player who can play the PK and put up a good 30-40+ points, which is nothing to laugh at. I would love to have that as part of our 3rd line.

Edited by Amberite, 28 July 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#246 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

that's 'if healthy', again. if clarkson is healthy we could expect that on the 3rd line, also.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#247 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

209 GP, 49 G, 54 A, 103 PTS, -2. The guy clearly never performed up to what we were all hoping for...some of it was bad luck, but I put a lot of his lack of performance on HIM. I'm glad he's gonzo.

As for the return, we all know Rolston wasn't going to fetch much in a return...it was all about getting him out of here and his money off the books, getting some flexibility, etc...so Hunter is a "whatever" for me. Like others have noted, training camp will go a long way towards establishing what future Hunter might have here, if he has one at all...sounds like Lou doesn't have any expectations one way or another.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 28 July 2011 - 06:22 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#248 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

FREEEE AT LAAAAAAST !!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#249 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

Very funny comment on TSN by a Canucks fan, thought this would be a great trade for both teams:
NJ gets: Schneider, Ballard, high pick (1st or 2nd)
VAN gets: Parise, low pick
Thought it was hilarious. Either Parise is extremely undervalued in the league or the Canucks are high on their backups. Just imagine subbing Ovechkin/Crosby/Stamkos into that deal...not even close.

TSN comments are worse than any trolling on NJDevs, by a longshot. Every hockey story becomes related to a Canadian hockey team, somehow.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to L├╝ZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#250 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

Outside of the money, I saw no problem with Rolston for one last year, I dunno if Trent Hunter is a viable piece of anything other than sh!t (hes a pylon) but I do like we have a little cap room. I will have no criticism if its part of the larger plan and allows us to lock Zach up long term.

#251 xxchaznjxx

xxchaznjxx

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Kovy and Tedenby weren't in the trade. I think the Devils did lose offense in the deal, it didn't make it a bad trade though.

while the wording i used was poor, the point was the offense we lose with rolston will be made up by the other players on the team. winky's offense won't be missed. neither will his cap hit.

#252 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

http://www.inlouwetr...il-trent-hunter

ILWT blog post on Hunter
Posted Image Posted Image

#253 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Yea, we were great with Parise last year (iajmf). Listen we definitely lack depth and a star d-man as of right now, you can admit that or divert and continue to talk about how good our top forward line is. Again, I see us making the playoffs as a 6-8 seed. Cup contenders I don't see us as unless was add someone else.

And the cap space (depending on what Zach signs for) will be useful in a deadline deal when more questions will be answered(injuries, larsson, etc). I liked rolston, but he is replaceable. Which young player steps up is a valid question/concern though.

If Hunter out performs rolston this year, then i actually feel sorry for the islanders. this deal had almost nothing to do with Trent Hunter and everything to do with Rolston. When you say "outside of a salary dump" it essentially makes the argument pointless. I could say, "besides what happens on the ice", this deal doesn't favor the isles.

How was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

As for Hunter, maybe getting off the Island will do him good. If he becomes a sligthly above average 4th line/ pk / hit anything that moves(and you can catch up to) guy I'd be happy. Anything else is pure gravy. I also feel this is a make or break year for Clarkson.

Joe
Joe

#254 schmeldon13

schmeldon13

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

First the Dolphins get Reggie Bush, and now we dump Rolston. Good day for me in the sports department so far. Now all I need is for the Fins to finish the Kyle Orton trade, Nnamdi Asoughma to snub the Jets, and for Parise to sign long-term and we're in business. :P

Glad to see I'm not the only dolphins fan on here

#255 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

I think hunter can have a good year, no longer playing w fishsticks is a sign of that. He's also been plagued w injuries last two yrs. When he's on his game he is very effective

#256 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only dolphins fan on here

I'm another one.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#257 mac760

mac760

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

As far as I'm concerned, if we had had to buy out Rolston, it would've been 500k more cap hit than this is, and we get a return of a player about at Rolston's level.

I'm pretty certain Rolston could not be bought out without having his full salary count against the cap.

Edited by mac760, 28 July 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#258 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:52 PM

I think hunter can have a good year, no longer playing w fishsticks is a sign of that. He's also been plagued w injuries last two yrs. When he's on his game he is very effective

Same with Rolston, got injured and never found his game again really.

#259 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

Same with Rolston, got injured and never found his game again really.

Rolston will turn 39 this season. Even with being on the top 2 lines on the island, I think 40 points is his top end production.

#260 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

Well seriously if hunter is always injured its even better lol if he goes on ltir, same with salvadore thats an extra 5m + wtv cap space left that we have with parise signed...id guess about a milliom?

Well if were not contenders now.... Im pretty sure that with 6-7 millions at the deadline we could get real good additions or ufa that we could try to resign

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users