296 replies to this topic

#261 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:42 AM

Well seriously if hunter is always injured its even better lol if he goes on ltir, same with salvadore thats an extra 5m + wtv cap space left that we have with parise signed...id guess about a milliom?

Well if were not contenders now.... Im pretty sure that with 6-7 millions at the deadline we could get real good additions or ufa that we could try to resign

any word on salvador?

#262 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

Lost in all this, we'll still be able to see Rolston wink at the camera during interviews on MSG+ Islander games. ;)

#263 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

I was just glad TSN didn't re-hash its go to headline "Deal with the Devils." I seriously considered getting some champagne when I heard this news. After much fan speculation about the Isles cap floor, I never thought it would actually come true. Thank you, Garth!! I wonder what favor down the road we'll owe. Regardless, fingers crossed that a Parise contract soon follows.

#264 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

I was just glad TSN didn't re-hash its go to headline "Deal with the Devils." I seriously considered getting some champagne when I heard this news. After much fan speculation about the Isles cap floor, I never thought it would actually come true. Thank you, Garth!! I wonder what favor down the road we'll owe. Regardless, fingers crossed that a Parise contract soon follows.

Favor? We took on Trent Hunter, a player who has no role on Long Island anymore, and gave them a left wing, which they needed. There's no favors being done here on either side, both teams got something they want.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#265 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

Favor? We took on Trent Hunter, a player who has no role on Long Island anymore, and gave them a left wing, which they needed. There's no favors being done here on either side, both teams got something they want.

Taking on 5 million in non-dumpable salary is a favor. Sure, they needed a LW, but teams like the Isles (who are not yet at a serious contender state) don't desperately need to satisfy all positional wishes. Rolston isn't some great mentor either. For me, despite our absorbing a 2-year contract (which can be buried) in exchange for a 1-year, I think this is a clear favor. There are better ways to spend 5 million than on a washed up 39-yr old. It makes more sense to overpay on a very good player than it does to overpay on a bad one. Isles should have offer sheeted Doughty for 8 million, or thrown 9 million at Richards. They didn't need to take on Rolston. I realize they are yet to hit the cap floor still, but Rolston's not the only bad contract out there. I dunno, for my money, I'd overpay a good player (or a few of them) to hit the floor.

#266 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Richards & Doughty would have not sign with the Isles...

#267 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

Richards & Doughty would have not sign with the Isles...

Throw 10 mill at a guy like Richards. A few million will change what people think of your team. And the Isles are up-and-coming. They'll be good in a few years.

#268 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Taking on 5 million in non-dumpable salary is a favor. Sure, they needed a LW, but teams like the Isles (who are not yet at a serious contender state) don't desperately need to satisfy all positional wishes.

They do need to hit the salary floor.

Rolston isn't some great mentor either.

While I trust neither players' nor GMs' assessment of a player's 'leadership' qualities, both his teammates and Lou have a lot of good things to say about him on this account.

For me, despite our absorbing a 2-year contract (which can be buried) in exchange for a 1-year, I think this is a clear favor. There are better ways to spend 5 million than on a washed up 39-yr old. It makes more sense to overpay on a very good player than it does to overpay on a bad one. Isles should have offer sheeted Doughty for 8 million, or thrown 9 million at Richards. They didn't need to take on Rolston. I realize they are yet to hit the cap floor still, but Rolston's not the only bad contract out there. I dunno, for my money, I'd overpay a good player (or a few of them) to hit the floor.

Rolston was a good player last year, and again, they got rid of trent hunter. if you can spend 46M per season, having a 2M player playing the 4th line (who can't stay healthy) is bad. Would they rather have Jochen Hecht? I mean, there's not a lot of teams looking to dump salary. And the free agent market is a wasteland. This deal is fine from an Islander perspective.

#269 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

They'll be good in a few years.

I've heard that one before.

#270 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

Didn't like the contract, but liked Brian. Nothing but the best of luck to him out on the Island :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#271 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

My initial reaction
Posted Image

#272 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

Best news since ... I don't fvcking remember. We dump cap and keep Zubs and Clarkson, who still have some value.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#273 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

I'd say this trade was rather unneccesary now :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#274 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'd say this trade was rather unneccesary now :P

Maybe I think it was clear Brian wasn't getting a lick of ice-time on the top two lines anyway, and he is a non-factor when he isn't there. Saves the team 3 million, which is nice for an owner. It also allows some younger players much needed minutes to develop.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#275 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

So in other words it was a favor to the owner and the player, at the expense of the team. I'm surprised Lou hasn't resigned already if that was the case but he might be on track to being fired.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#276 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

So in other words it was a favor to the owner and the player, at the expense of the team. I'm surprised Lou hasn't resigned already if that was the case but he might be on track to being fired.

yeah, a favor to the owner, who is then going to fire him.

#277 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

This was more my point:

If Lou was doing this trade cause of Vanderbeek's financial concerns then he should resign cause that's not the way he's done business (with handcuffs). And since when has Lou ever done a trade as a favor to a player AT THE EXPENSE OF THE TEAM? Granted Rolston's not a big deal but the only reason for doing this trade was cap savings...for what exactly?

If Lou was doing this trade cause he thinks Hunter is a better player than he should be fired.

#278 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

If Lou was doing this trade cause of Vanderbeek's financial concerns then he should resign cause that's not the way he's done business (with handcuffs). And since when has Lou ever done a trade as a favor to a player AT THE EXPENSE OF THE TEAM? Granted Rolston's not a big deal but the only reason for doing this trade was cap savings...for what exactly?

If Lou was doing this trade cause he thinks Hunter is a better player than he should be fired.

This is what I want to know. My guess is that Rolston was a sourpuss behind the scenes as his comments to TG showed and Lou wanted to get rid of him anyway (i.e. Langenbrunner)
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#279 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

This was more my point:

how is not getting cap space a good thing? and yeah, the guy should just quit his job because lou has never had financial concerns at the forefront of his job. have you completely forgotten the mcmullen years or do you just like pretending they don't exist?

Edited by Triumph, 29 July 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#280 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

It also was a good move for the player. Rolston was not getting top-6 minutes. Let him get the opportunity to underachieve with the Islanders. I'd rather see guys like Tedenby get all his minutes. There was no good scenario for Brian. He isn't good enough for the first two lines, and he is utter useless anywhere else.

After everything that went down, this is actually a nice gesture from Lou.

Edited by devilsrule33, 29 July 2011 - 06:41 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users