287 replies to this topic

#181 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Not happy about this, but the silver lining is that there will not be the bad blood that results from many arbitration hearings.
Posted Image

#182 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:51 PM

Oh he'll get more money but now it might not be from the Devils, there's no way that's a good thing. And it keeps alive all the speculation about ownership issues, Zach wanting out, etc that I was hoping wouldn't be a distraction the next six months to a year.

Yes, it keeps alive the typical paranoia and ridiculous fears that never really seem to play out.. Seems like a lot of people prefer to see things that way than to take step back and analyze the situation the way Lou really would.. Zach will be a Devil long term, but this will keep a lot of people "excited" for a while

Zach is probably looking for a deal starting at 7M per, so what some people are saying is sign him at 6M and negotiate long term starting next year when some contracts are off the books.

Yes!!
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#183 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

Good enough for now. Gives an extension to the actual contract for next season. Happy to read this.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#184 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:53 AM

let's say there's really that management problem that they need to get settle first or wtv... can they go public about it? at least to let people know that that was the problem or wtv (if thats the case) or they keep that behind close doors... cause there's team like nashville that we know are not willing to spend to the cap for some reasons.

www.SterioDesign.com

#185 JustinZ

JustinZ

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

As much as I was devastated by this news and think it makes a realistic possibility this could be Parise's last year in NJ, it's the right move. Sorry but you can't just hand out an 8-10 year contract to a guy who missed almost an entire season. We already locked Kovy up in too long of a contract, you can't do another long term big money deal like that with another guy who missed a season. Then if Kovy and Parise severely under perform the franchise is handicapped for a decade.
Posted Image

#186 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

Disappointing indeed. Let's just hope it's a case of Lou wanting to offer him a 12 year 80M $ contract, but explaining to Zack that he needs to see that the knee is in fact back in shape first.
Posted Image

#187 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

let's say there's really that management problem that they need to get settle first or wtv... can they go public about it? at least to let people know that that was the problem or wtv (if thats the case) or they keep that behind close doors... cause there's team like nashville that we know are not willing to spend to the cap for some reasons.

if you are trying to sell part of a team, why in the world would you ever go public with information like, 'hey, we can't sign our best player to a long-term deal because of this'. that's sure to make negotiations go smoother.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#188 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,053 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:23 AM

Yes, it keeps alive the typical paranoia and ridiculous fears that never really seem to play out..

Never play out lol, for a year and a half I've been saying Manta was paranoid to the nth degree but what have the Devils done as a franchise to disprove any of it so far? They've been a .500 team for a year and a half and Parise's inching closer to the door since we lavished our time and attention on Kovy last year. I've been saying others are paranoid about the Devils' financial issues but that's become like the Sutter thing, the gremlin under the bed that just won't go away.

If they sign a deal in January then you can feel free to be an I told you so but there's really no evidence anymore that this is going to happen. Both sides are giving it lip service, yeah both sides gave a long-term deal lip service too and had months to talk, how did that work out?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 July 2011 - 07:26 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#189 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

Never play out lol, for a year and a half I've been saying Manta was paranoid to the nth degree but what have the Devils done as a franchise to disprove any of it so far? They've been a .500 team for a year and a half and Parise's inching closer to the door since we lavished our time and attention on Kovy last year.

If they sign a deal in January then you can feel free to be an I told you so but there's really no evidence anymore that this is going to happen. Both sides are giving it lip service, yeah both sides gave a long-term deal lip service too and had months to talk, how did that work out?

I dunno, how did Zach Parise being healthy work out? Can you name one player who signed a lifetime deal coming off a <40 game season? Hell, even name one who got a 6+ year contract (I'm sure there is at least one, can't think of him right now though)

#190 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,053 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

I dunno, how did Zach Parise being healthy work out? Can you name one player who signed a lifetime deal coming off a <40 game season? Hell, even name one who got a 6+ year contract (I'm sure there is at least one, can't think of him right now though)

Lou didn't sign anyone to a lifetime deal in twenty years of GM'ing before last year either - particularly someone who'd only been here thirty games - there's always a first for everything.

And Elias got a seven-year deal coming off a <40 game season, for starters (well okay it wasn't below 40 including playoffs but still).

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 July 2011 - 07:33 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#191 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

I made it to page 3... C'est tres amusante!

It seems everyone has forgotten how Lou operates. Kovalchuk was an anomoly! Lou pays out after he feels a guy has earned it. You earn it after living through your first UFA signing. Then even if you suck he'll sign you to a huge paycheck mid-season a la Madden, white etc, OR he'll get you back to the team with a muti-million post 35yearold contract a la Rolston. It's embarassing but it's Lou. If Lou feels you've been with the team too short a time he puts the screws to you - Claude, Mogilny, Niewendyke ... and for emerging UFAs --- they have to wait until they are officially named UFAs and CHOOSE the Devils offer. Holik, Niedermayer, Elias, Gomez... and now it's Parise's turn to start up with the "We haven;t heard a thing from Lou" come January 2012... February same statement, March, April May -- we'll say it's the playoffs after that.... then we'll all see Zach hoisting the Cup and still no word from lou. We'll have our usual June 30th panic and then.... we'll see.... but don't go thinking ANYTHING will happen until next july. It will not. Zach has to survive the UFA test - Conn Smyth or no...

The nice thing for Zach is he knows he can sign a 10 year deal with the Wings and play like a beached whale he'll still get a huge contract from Lou in his golden years, We'll see Zach with a 50 million/5 year contract with the Devils .... on July 28th, 2019

This IS my real expectation. and I dont think it's that tongue in cheek. Except I'm assuming Zach won't settle for Lou's sh!t. It may be worth it. I don't know, because I'm not behind the scenes. Elias, Marty and Stevens all thought it was worth it.

I'm here for the party

#192 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

NO

Edited by MantaRay, 30 July 2011 - 08:59 AM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#193 McMullen82

McMullen82

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

Lou didn't sign anyone to a lifetime deal in twenty years of GM'ing before last year either - particularly someone who'd only been here thirty games - there's always a first for everything.

And Elias got a seven-year deal coming off a <40 game season, for starters (well okay it wasn't below 40 including playoffs but still).

Elias was a completely different situation. He earned his offer by finishing the season putting up 22 goals and 39 assists in 47 games(reg season + playoffs). By contrast, Zach Parise hadn't registered a point in 9 full months as of yesterday.

#194 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

and as for Manta's fear mongering -- the problem is that the pre-kovalchuk and post-Kovalchuk logic he's trying to play up against each other ---- is flawed.

How does one big contract change the standard for being a Devils player, when the standard is not being adversely affected by other players' contracts?

It doesn't. If a player won't sign because of Kovalchuk's contract ..... he never would have signed with the Devils organization. EVER. unless the paradigm was changed forever and the Devils turned Rangers.

They haven't. The story of Kovalchuk ruining the team is over. There is nothing to bitch about. It was a one year directive from ownership. If a player cannot accept that, he's not a player you want on the Devils.

If there was a significant change in philosophy I might agree -- but this is the same story as always. There is no new monkey wrnech thrown in here. It is what it is since as long as I've been even a casual fan.

I'm here for the party

#195 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

Two days ago:We trade Rolston, looks as though Parise signing long term will come at any moment

Yesterday:Parise signs to one year deal, franchise is doomed

#196 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

Elias was a completely different situation. He earned his offer by finishing the season putting up 22 goals and 39 assists in 47 games(reg season + playoffs). By contrast, Zach Parise hadn't registered a point in 9 full months as of yesterday.

AND Elias TOOK the offer. We don't know what anyone else who didn't take it was offered. Because Elias WOULD take the offer he got that kind of an offer. I know some of you aren't able to understand that logic -- but it IS Devils logic :evil:

I'm here for the party

#197 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

that's because no one besides wayne gretzky ever got a lifetime deal. a lifetime deal didn't make sense under the old rules for player or team. we're seeing these as fairly commonplace. hell, christian ehrhoff got one. it's all the rage now.

true, but

A: that was a medical condition, not an injury - slight difference
B: he dominated when he came back

#198 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

I really hope Parise doesn't read the forums.

#199 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

I really hope Parise doesn't read the forums.

My guess is that he'd laugh at the people afraid of him leaving.. It's not happening.. He'll be resigned long term by the trade dealine, the Devils will have the extra cap room to possibly make some good deals, and Zach will get his big multi-year contract at a higher cap hit than if he had signed it right now

I know I'll take a ton of crap if I'm wrong, but I have such a strong gut feeling about this that I don't think I will be wrong
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#200 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Colin -- I dont think he'll sign mid-year. That just never happens. There is always a reason and a decent one to push it off until last minute and Lou just always seems to let his UFAs test the market - it's what he does.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users