287 replies to this topic

#101 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

all I can say is I've always felt Zach was leaving next July... so I see this deal as a better step than arbitration.

Does this deal have a NTC? It's going to be interesting in the new year....

#102 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,002 posts

What precisely do we need the extra cap space for at this point?

Is Niclas Havelid a free agent? Also, I heard Karel Rachunek is available. You know what they say: you can't have enough mediocre defenseman.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#103 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

If we lose Zach to free agency, it's going to be very hard to forgive. I hope this is part of some master plan, but I have real trouble believing it.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#104 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

I like how you say we don't have a good history of re-signing star players...and I don't have to go back far at all to see that we re-signed brodeur, elias, kovalchuk, etc

#105 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Does this deal have a NTC? It's going to be interesting in the new year....

it can't have an NTC.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#106 Toaster13

Toaster13

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

I would love to see Parise stay a Devil for the rest of his career but this kind of deal had to be done. First make sure Parise is the same guy he was before his injury and then lock him up long term. The only thing that makes me nervous is him hitting free agency and then signing with the Rangers for 10 years at 8 million per. And what if the Devils have a bad season again, would Lou deal him at the deadline if they haven't agreed on a contract extension by then?
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

#107 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,503 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

If Zach isn't a part of the future of the Devils, he shouldn't take the ice for us next year. Trading him for a valuable asset (like a Drew Doughty) is galaxies better than watching him walk to the Rangers.

Geez, enough already.

And enough with the "bad track record" when it comes to re-signing guys...you're completely ignoring the number of guys Lou's kept through the years. Yeah, he's lost some guys...that happens...can't keep everybody. Who did you want that Lou let get away?
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#108 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

I would love to see Parise stay a Devil for the rest of his career but this kind of deal had to be done. First make sure Parise is the same guy he was before his injury and then lock him up long term. The only thing that makes me nervous is him hitting free agency and then signing with the Rangers for 10 years at 8 million per. And what if the Devils have a bad season again, would Lou deal him at the deadline if they haven't agreed on a contract extension by then?

But if he's the same guy as he was before, and perhaps even if not, the only thing keeping him from testing the market is the expiration of the CBA, and even that might not make a difference.

First my Gionta jersey, and now my Parise one. Stevens is now officially going on my throwback. That will never lose its value.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#109 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,002 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

Geez, enough already.

And enough with the "bad track record" when it comes to re-signing guys...you're completely ignoring the number of guys Lou's kept through the years. Yeah, he's lost some guys...that happens...can't keep everybody. Who did you want that Lou let get away?

excuse me for not rubbing Lou's balls again. He didn't get a deal done, that sucks. If he does before next summer, all will be forgiven. If Parise walks, this is a terrible fvcking move. What, exactly, don't you agree with?

Posted Image

#110 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

if we remember, elias was coming off an injury that could've threatened his career. he went UFA, but signed with NJ that night.

marty: what you're missing is that when a player negotiates with a team, he downplays the risk in his own contract. the devils and parise were probably miles apart on a contract because NJ would want to sign a deal that mitigates the risk involved with signing a guy coming off a knee injury, and parise would have no interest and doing so. plus there's ownership issues overriding this entire thing. i have to imagine those will be cleared up by july 1 of next year.

Edited by Triumph, 29 July 2011 - 06:41 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#111 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

Maybe, They elected arbitration to prevent an offer sheet. They sign a 1 year deal for 6 million with the intention of canceling the arbitration so that they can negotiate and get a deal done before training camp...regardless 6 mil a year for the first year of a structured contract seems smart and about right.

I don't think they will make Zach "test" his knee for the contract or also put pressure on him to play for a contract this season.... if he plays great I'm sure he gets some huge un-matchable offers.
Posted Image

#112 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,498 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

excuse me for not rubbing Lou's balls again. He didn't get a deal done, that sucks. If he does before next summer, all will be forgiven. If Parise walks, this is a terrible fvcking move. What, exactly, don't you agree with?

Probably the part where people act like Parise is already gone and the part where you add you'll take back all the complaining if it turns out to be much ado about nothing.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#113 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

I also don't buy into his health being an issue. He didn't tear his ACL, and he would have been back for the playoffs if we had made it there.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#114 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,002 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

Probably the part where people act like Parise is already gone and the part where you add you'll take back all the complaining if it turns out to be much ado about nothing.

Yeah, I'll take back the complaining if he re-signs. But all of y'all who sing kumbaya while the face of our franchise sits a year away from free agency will flip a monkey sh!t if he doesn't.

Posted Image

#115 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,503 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

It's not that black-and-white. If Parise plays poorly and walks, is it still a terrible fvcking move? You have exactly one scenario playing out: Zach plays at the top of his game and leaves...apparently, as far as you're concerned that's all that can happen. They still have time to get something done, and Zach has said repeatedly that he wants to stay. Guess you've decided throwing a sh!t-fit is the only way to react to this. I just can't pick one scenario (the worst one) and assume that's how this is going to play out.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#116 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

What is the big deal!? Everyone is bugging out for no reason. If Zach wants to remain a Devil he will be resigned after January 1st (ala Lundqvist) and he will get a good contract from us. If he doesn't want to be a Devil and wants his cash well screw him, he will get it somewhere else. End of story.

Edited by Zubie#8, 29 July 2011 - 06:48 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#117 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

If Zach isn't a part of the future of the Devils, he shouldn't take the ice for us next year. Trading him for a valuable asset (like a Drew Doughty) is galaxies better than watching him walk to the Rangers.

Today's events does not signal anything negative even though a long term deal was not reached. I think most fans should be relieved they didn't go to arbitration.

Is it frustrating they can't hammer this out? Sure, but i think there's alot of trying to get this right more then trying to fvck it up.

The NYR talk is fear and conjecture.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#118 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

I'm not happy but I'm not 'the sky is falling' upset.

2 questions.

$6 mil? Coming off of an injury that forced you to miss basically a season, is a $1 mil bump in actual salary (as an RFA) market value or a little over? Are they in the ballpark $$ wise but not length? I guess I'm asking if there are any clues with 6 mil.

Why sign today? why not wait until weds to announce it? Either Zach want to test FA or Lou doesn't trust his knee. Any other reason?
Joe

#119 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,882 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

Well one thing for sure, Parise jerseys wont be selling too well this season, i wouldnt spend a few hundred bucks on a guy who may leave a few months after... And its not like buying a shirt for "history sake" like elias, stevens, nierdermayer, brodeur or wtv

www.SterioDesign.com

#120 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

I'm ok with this deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users