287 replies to this topic

#141 Scoopscj

Scoopscj

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Well, I'm not really happy with this. I was hoping for a longer term deal. Zach seems to be a nice guy, class guy and a fan favorite. He is a hard worker and a good athlete. I'd love to see him in Devil red for the next 10 years but so far that's not the case. It doesn't mean he won't be a Devil in the future but this 1 year deal makes me a little nervous. Seriously though, if you are a Devils fan you live with nervous. That's the nature of the team.

Bottom line... I was hoping for a longer deal but I trust management. I'd rather see a 1 year deal then to over pay for a player. I wouldn't want to have to be sad in the future about his contract like I did with Rolston. Not comparing the two mind you, just the fact that the contract could be out of wack if he was asking for too many years or too much money.

Scoops

#142 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,050 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

This is what happens when you do everything last-minute. Sometimes it bites you. I guess Lou's still waiting to figure out what the cap number's going to be for this year :P

yes, that's what happened. even though the hearing is 4 days away, they clearly ran out of time to negotiate a new deal.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#143 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

I'm neutral on this deal. Obviously we all wanted to see more years.
We can't be angry at Lou without information about how ownership is affecting things.
The Rolston trade had to happen anyway. We would be over the cap now if we had kept him. We might not have used all of the space freed up by the trade effectively though.
And if we're serious about possibly trading Parise, our situation is no different now than it was before the contract.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#144 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

I understand where people are coming from saying thats its safer that way because of zach's knee and everything, i get it and its making sense. I wont deny it

BUT... That wasnt Lou's plan, and people denying this are either in denial or just love the taste of lou's balls a bit too much imo...

- If that was the plan all along why did he filled for arbitration so he can have more time, after he got that extra time... Took the last week or so to really get into it and ran out of time
- why would he repeatly say that it was a priority and that he wanted to get a long term deal done.
- the waiting for the cap annoucement excuses is now bullsh!t
- the waiting for a coach annoucement excuses is now bullsh!t
- the waiting for the draft excuses is now bullsh!t
- actually any excuses are now bullsh!t

If that was really Lou's plan he could have done it a long time ago and then why all those moves to get some cap space?

Plain and simple... Lou said it... They ran out of time... Means he didnt accomplish what he wanted... Thsts a fail and thats 100% lou's fault... Zach has been saying for MONTHS that he wanted to enter contract talks and lou was sitting in his ass waiting and ran out of time

Edited by SterioDesign, 29 July 2011 - 08:30 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#145 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

I'm neutral on this deal. Obviously we all wanted to see more years.
We can't be angry at Lou without information about how ownership is affecting things.
The Rolston trade had to happen anyway. We would be over the cap now if we had kept him. We might not have used all of the space freed up by the trade effectively though.

We'd be at worst around 500k over the cap with a 23-man roster with the $3 million difference between Rolston and Hunter, and that's counting Salvador too.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#146 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

what are we gonna do with the remaining cap?

#147 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thats what im hoping for... To see something creative out of this at least...

Or we could get something at the trade deadline... I know were not used to have money to spend but you also dont always have to spend every penny to be competitive... I guess we'll see

www.SterioDesign.com

#148 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

While I hoping for a long-term deal now, just like everyone else on this board (and all other Devil fans), I really can't complain about this deal. Bottom line we have Parise set for this year, and now both sides get to see if he is truly healthy. The Devils don't want to take an unnecessary risk (as someone put it "like the Isles getting DP'ed), and Zach knows he can command more money if he does stay healthy. And I don't think Lou is particularly worried about the later scenario since we have White's and Salvador's contracts coming off the books next year. I will remain optimistic.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#149 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

I am glad he is signed even if it is only one year without going to arbitration. After this coming season more money is available for a better deal, it is obvious that Parise won't sign for $6 M per season. I want him as a Devil for a long time.

Thank you.. Exactly my point..

Like I keep repeating, it's a win-win:
- Lou avoids arb and has cap space if need be
- Zach will get more money from the Devils if he waits to start his long term contract next season

This is a GOOD thing guys, so let's just show a little patience here..

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#150 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

We'd be at worst around 500k over the cap with a 23-man roster with the $3 million difference between Rolston and Hunter, and that's counting Salvador too.

True, but that deal to get yourself out of being capped out always costs more than the one that avoids it.

#151 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Well we don't have to bludgeon a player to get him on LTIR lol

I think Lou was really uncomfortable with his bargaining position last season due to being up against the cap.. Having room, if it does nothing else, takes away another GMs leverage over him when negotiating a deal.. Also, he can trade up to a player with higher cap hit if he wants..

If we are in solid playoff position come trade deadline, Lou could make a splash at someone with a higher cap hit than if he were right up against the cap

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#152 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

It's not such a good thing. The team just did what it had to do. The real outcome will be determined over the next 11 months.

#153 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

- Zach will get more money from the Devils if he waits to start his long term contract next season

Oh he'll get more money but now it might not be from the Devils, there's no way that's a good thing. And it keeps alive all the speculation about ownership issues, Zach wanting out, etc that I was hoping wouldn't be a distraction the next six months to a year.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 29 July 2011 - 08:46 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#154 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

arbitration is really strange, and i don't know if anyone's ever gone to arbitration coming off a season like zach's. i'm not convinced he would've gotten more than 5.5M in arbitration. so 6M is kind of a favor. i think it's notable that 6M is also kovalchuk's salary for next year, and elias's cap hit.

I was just thinking this right before I read your post Tri. Given some time to think about it now, I think that's significant coming off the injury, and I'm hoping it's something Zach doesn't forget whe it comes time to hammer out a long-term deal.

Edited by MadDog2020, 29 July 2011 - 08:49 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#155 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

A lot of people act like Lou is a dumb ****. Who has engineered 3 Stanley Cup winning teams? Too be a fan of the Devils should be an honor, it could be a lot worse.

Worse case scenario is we don't reach an agreement by January and we trade him for a top 2 defender or a top center orrrrr we go for a run and get elimanted, the losers at HFboards have some clusterfvk spas attacks of GIFs, Parise goes signs somewhere else at a low cap hit and long term, THAT team goes wins multiple cups, we then lose Zajac down the road, Elias retires, DeBoer is fired, TG sneaks every joke he can into his gametime tweets, Steve Cangelosi's voice broadcasts the loss of Zach Parise, and par9 comes back(or is he back)

or...

Parise signs longterm once he can

But, Hey!, we have Kovalchuk for life! :cheers:

#156 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

yes, that's what happened. even though the hearing is 4 days away, they clearly ran out of time to negotiate a new deal.

lou had other priorities too as well including the draft, hiring a new coach, free agency, trades...etc

#157 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

I am glad he is signed even if it is only one year without going to arbitration. After this coming season more money is available for a better deal, it is obvious that Parise won't sign for $6 M per season. I want him as a Devil for a long time.

And if he isn't you can't blame this one on Lou. This is 100 percent a product of JVB not being able to shed his Lehman Brothers mentality, i.e. leverage up to the eyeballs with the hope that no one will call you on it or that someone will come to your rescue.

This whole idea that they "didn't have enough time" to put a deal together until the arbitration hearing is about as lame as Ferris Bueller's clammy hands excuse (a non-specific symptom, I'm a big believer in it). Corporate mergers can get ironed out in less time than evidently it takes to come to terms with a left-winger.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#158 Cal914

Cal914

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

umm, im neutral about this deal and next year is going to be really hectic with Marty and Zajac's contracts up and now Parise, that is the only problem i see right now, like LeMaire said "one game at a time"... one year at a time
-Cal
Official NJDevs.com keeper of "Zajac's first playoff goal
Official NJDevs.com keeper of The Colorado Rockies

#159 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

true but not sure I understand he could have avoided arb and Parise could have been signed to a long term deal with the same cap hit in the first year while not taking away from the cap space.

Edited by titans04, 29 July 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#160 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

true but not sure I understand he could have avoided arb and Parise could have been signed to a long term deal with the same cap hit in the first year while not taking away from the cap space.

Zach is probably looking for a deal starting at 7M per, so what some people are saying is sign him at 6M and negotiate long term starting next year when some contracts are off the books.

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users