Poll Time

Wiggles1213

47 members have voted

1. 1. If Parise is not signed long-term by the trade deadline, do you trade him?

Its too early to justify this with a strong answer. We don't know the situation or whats going on.

If Zach truly wants to be here long-term, I don't care if they go to the last second before UFA next year as long as it gets done. If he doesn't want to be here, I hope we trade him. All indications are that he wants to be here long-term, so can only wait and see.

I'm only open to trading Parise if there is no way he'll stay here long term. There's a lot of things behind the scenes that could be stalling his hopeful longterm deal.

Where's the 'only if the team's a borderline playoff team/out of contention' option? Cause odds are, Manta negativity aside this team's going to be in the playoffs again this year so that would preclude Zach being dealt at the deadline. Especially if the Devils are fighting for first again.

If they are going to trade him the only realistic time to do it is now, where you're not strip-mining the team and can get something of value back on this year's NHL roster.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Where's the 'only if the team's a borderline playoff team/out of contention' option? Cause odds are, Manta negativity aside this team's going to be in the playoffs again this year so that would preclude Zach being dealt at the deadline. Especially if the Devils are fighting for first again.

If they are going to trade him the only realistic time to do it is now, where you're not strip-mining the team and can get something of value back on this year's NHL roster.

Who would you want in return if you were Lou and were to trade him now?

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

trade a player who wants to spend his career here? Lou wants him here and so does Zach, they know are doing and will get this accomplished when they feel to.

If this does, in fact, happen, it seems like it would be a definite goodbye to Parise. Maybe I'd consider sending him off if we were absolutely tanking, but that will most likely not happen. I think that if we have a solid season, he'll want to stay, especially given our bright future. The last thing we're trying to do is make him feel unwanted here.

Why would you say no?

Lou has the entire year to work on an extension. If he isn't signed by then, he probably isn't going to sign and will likely leave.

+1, i really dont know why anyone would say yes?

obviously he could test the market and decide that he actually want to stay in NJ... like Kovy. But just like a girlfriend dumping you... making out with a few guys at the bar then coming back to you a few days after... youre still glad she came back but still... its always in the back of ur mind what she did haha

edit: well the more that i think about it... it depends on how the team is playing and if they think they can make a serious push in the playoffs... they might need him for that run... but they could get a nice return also...

Edited by SterioDesign

Lou can offer a long term contract to Parise anytime after 1/1/2012. If they agree then he doesn't become an UFA on 7/1/2012.

""Once you go to arbitration, you can only get a one-year situation in this case," Lamoriello said. "So, really what we have done is avoid arbitration by settling on one year with the understanding and intent to take whatever time is necessary to get a long-term deal.""

"According to Tom Gulitti of The Record, both Lamoriello and the Parise camp will continue to discuss a longer-term deal, but per CBA rules, he cannot sign a new deal beginning in the 2012-13 season until Jan. 1, 2012."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Devils-Parise-settle-on-1-year-6-million-deal?urn=nhl-wp9919

Edited by LucifersDog

if he is not signed by the trade deadline, get what you can for him. I personally do not think it will come to that. Zach has said he wants to stay and with what we did for Kovy, do you really think we would let a player like Zach just walk without something big in return. No way! maybe I have had too much Kool Aid over the years but I do not think Lou is going to let a player that is the face of this team just go on open market. That is of course unless Zach is not telling the truth and really has had enough and wants to go somewhere else. There is a lot of money coming of the books next year and a 1 year contract now with a promise of more come next year looks like the way everyone is turning.

I also think if he becomes captain this season that will say a lot if he wants to stay or Lou already knows he is trading him! IMO

I voted no. I think Lou is a guy who likes to take his time. He said more than once "when time is on your side, you use it". I wonder if its legal for them to start discussing right now or anytime before 1 Jan 2012, but when you give time to Lou you'll usually be satisfied.

I know a 1 year deal is not what everybody wanted (neither me), but if Lou just decided to use this 1 year deal to extend the negotiation time to find a deal that will be cap-friendly and at the same time make Zach happy then why not.

If Lou sees that Zach is testing the market anyway then why sign him to a 1 year deal ? Negotiation between Lou and Zach are probably not where it should be, but its certainly not with the idea of testing the market that Lou and Zach agreed on that 1 year deal IMO.

Edited by SS-SS