35 replies to this topic

#1 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,437 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Since we all know that a Devils' player headed to UFA automatically means he's going to leave despite the multiple examples to the contrary, I figure I'd punch up a list of the top free agents in 2012. The Devils will have a lot of money to spend and a hole in their lineup.

RW Alex Semin - eh, I don't see it. One Russian superstar with a deadly wrist shot is enough.

LW Dustin Penner - Maybe Penner would drink the Kool-Aid. Very effective and underrated player, though has had motivation issues wherever he's gone.

RW Ales Hemsky - Injuries have derailed a promising career, but Edmonton is the suckiest bunch of sucks whoever sucked, so he might well be available. Extremely creative player, he would mesh well with Kovalchuk. He'd make an excellent trade deadline pickup.

C R.J. Umberger - People forget about Columbus, all tucked away down there, but Umberger has been a quietly effective player - NJ could move Elias back to wing to make room for him.

C Mikhail Grabovski - I can't imagine Toronto letting him go, since their lineup is desperately awful, but he's been a solid player on an awful team.

C/LW Patrick Sharp - I also can't see Chicago letting Sharp get away, but who knows, maybe he wants out. Had an outstanding year last year and would also make for a pretty great addition, although he would likely be on the downside of his career.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

All of these options suck.

#3 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Till Zach is out the window and Lou doesn't resign him whenever. Then worry about it. Stop jumping the gun that our PArise will be a freaking Oiler or Duck.

#4 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

Enjoy this year, and worry about it next Summer.

Edited by mmajeski06, 30 July 2011 - 10:47 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

If this is even a concern, Lou is going to ship Parise out the door real fast. If Parise is still in Devils Red by the end of November I am pretty sure he will be around for a long time.

#6 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

Sigh. This is going to put a huge damper on the entire season now. Or at least until he signs an extension

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#7 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

Patrick Sharpe for sure, great goal scorer in clutch situations.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#8 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Rolston fellow, good shot, 30+ goals, good defensively

#9 Wiggles1213

Wiggles1213

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Ryan Getzlaf

#10 spacegrass

spacegrass

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

Till Zach is out the window and Lou doesn't resign him whenever. Then worry about it. Stop jumping the gun that our PArise will be a freaking Oiler or Duck.

I guessed you missed the initial sarcasm of this post huh.

#11 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

if the devils cant sign parise by the trade deadline they should try trade him for Jarome Iginla

#12 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

That list of FA's only convinces me all the more Parise's getting top dollar :P Semin's the only comparable offensive weapon but you could poke holes in his game easier than Zach's. The rest are either not on that level or just nice role players.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#13 USC09

USC09

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

I don't really care, if the Devils lose Parise, they lose him, its how things work in the NHL. Expectations will remain the same, Stanley Cup or bust. If they cannot sign him by trade deadline, Lou might have no choice but to trade him since next years free agent class is weak after him. Lou might have to make an exception to his rule of no negotiating during the season, but the one-year-deal for Parise will put pressure on both Zach and Devils to do some big things this year. Parise has also not proven anything in the playoffs, so it won't be a major catastrophe to lose him, Devils are used to this and even though there is a Salary Cap, Lou's philosophy remains the same.

#14 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Shea Weber when he does the same to the Preds

#15 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

This may be a dumb idea, but would it make any difference if they gave the "C" to Zach for this year and they had success? Or the fact he signed for one year the Captaincy is out of the question?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#16 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

I am just amazed I am actually agreeing with triumph for once in saying this one year deal is good for both parties and we should not worry.

#17 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

I am just amazed I am actually agreeing with triumph for once in saying this one year deal is good for both parties and we should not worry.

I second this motion. No need to hit the panic button until its necessary.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#18 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Rolston fellow, good shot, 30+ goals, good defensively

And don't forget that he's a proven PP quarterback.

So many dead birds. Just one stone.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#19 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

It's just hockey. Don't commit Harikari over it. Get some dope, turn on some Trailer Park Boys and relax.
You know the Oilers did win the cup the year after Gretzky left.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#20 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

It's just hockey. Don't commit Harikari over it. Get some dope, turn on some Trailer Park Boys and relax.
You know the Oilers did win the cup the year after Gretzky left.

Yeah, as long as we have Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Fuhr and Coffey, we should be OK. :boogie:

Correction: Bill Ranford!

Edited by Jerrydevil, 30 July 2011 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users