455 replies to this topic

#61 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

Posted ImageTGfireandice Tom Gulitti Lamoriello said the decision to buy out both players was budgetary and because of depth of young players on D and at RW.

This leads me to believe that JVB would rather not pay older players that aren't really that good to hold roster spots while cheaper and younger prospects can get a shot.

Let me fix the quote for you:

"Lamoriello said the decision to buy out both players was budgetary and because the team has financial issues 10x worse than the US government and odds are the Devils will be moving to El Paso, Texas next season if things continue."
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#62 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

well here goes one of the last stanley cup ring in the locker room... only 2 left

www.SterioDesign.com

#63 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

hunter move gets a thumbs up.

white move gets a thumbs down. they have the players to cover for this and it was obvious that white was gone next year, but i don't see what they gain here. i guess they intend to use bryce salvador on the team this year, but still. they need a deep run in the playoffs to get the fan base back.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#64 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

lol you really think White is a top 2 defenseman?

With who we had to choose from, yes.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#65 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

I wouldn't be too surprised if we signed a guy like Chris Drury.
Posted Image

#66 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

This may have been the most useless post in the thread. And I always like your stuff Colin, but c'mon. You can't just dismiss an opinion because "la dee da I don't believe it"

It was meant to be useless, just like speculating about team finances because we aren't spending to the cap and waived 2 aging players.. C'mon man it's just not reasonable to speculate so much when we know so little.. NJDevs shouldn't stoop to TMZ levels
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#67 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

lol you really think White is a top 2 defenseman?

he's been on the top 2 pairings for the Devils every year since the lockout. Can't say that about anyone else. This move doesn't make any sense if this is the end to it.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#68 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Wow. Totally shocked to see White on waivers.

A couple things pop into mind.

One is that maybe Lou has learned from past mistakes of being too loyal to his soldiers. Pandolfo comes immediately to mind. Instead of signing someone to a "Thank you for your service" contract, maybe now he's trying to cut someone loose while another team might still see value in him.

Another is that maybe Whitey was actually a bad egg in the locker room. The Langs saga comes to mind. Lemaire wanted to give White the C for the night, but he refused. Maybe that's insubordination in Lou's eyes, and this is just more house cleaning?

Or maybe it's more budget-minded, self-imposed cap stuff because of ownership. Or maybe Lou & Co. really do have Larsson penned in for opening night. Or Salvador's doing better than we thought.

Could be anything at this point. But ever since he stopped taking at least one mind-numbingly stupid penalty per night, I've been a Whitey fan. Sad to see him (potentially) go.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 01 August 2011 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#69 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

it better be damn cheap and incentive-laden cause his success a product of the system, not of his raw talent.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#70 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Let me fix the quote for you:

"Lamoriello said the decision to buy out both players was budgetary and because the team has financial issues 10x worse than the US government and odds are the Devils will be moving to El Paso, Texas next season if things continue."

C'mon man we get it. You think the team is in the green-green-green and think it's a cap move. Agree to disagree, I guess.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#71 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

It was meant to be useless, just like speculating about team finances because we aren't spending to the cap and waived 2 aging players.. C'mon man it's just not reasonable to speculate so much when we know so little.. NJDevs shouldn't stoop to TMZ levels

Maybe the Devils just wanted to save money? Unless the new storage space at the Rock is a sh!thole, then I wouldn't look too much into this. You wouldn't want to save $10k a year if you had the choice and ability to?

#72 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

White will be a nice UFA pick up for some team after the buy out. If this is to make room for Salvador, then this is a total waste. If it means that Salvador is going to the minors for even more cap space and another expensive player is coming on board... then I guess we'll see.

#73 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

The STH next to me will be happy.. He hated White with a passion and moaned every time the guy touched the puck
Posted Image

#74 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

I don't think it needs one right now.. Let's see how it plays out and then we can judge..

But for everyone who is so concerned with team finances, I was in the Devils offices last week and they are moving the entire warehouse (that was still in the meadowlands) to the arena in Newark, which saves the team upwards of $10k a month in rent.. I'll talk to management about setting the office temperature a few degrees higher to save on energy costs if people would like me to

LOWER DAMMMIT A few degrees LOWER! <_< Posted Image

oh... Summer I get now... no -- there should be no air conditioning whatsoever... that's why the lord made windows... unless they saved money putting in windows that don't open... look solar power that's all -- put solar paneling everywhere and call it modern art.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 01 August 2011 - 11:59 AM.

I'm here for the party

#75 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Blasphemy!

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#76 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

C'mon man we get it. You think the team is in the green-green-green and think it's a cap move. Agree to disagree, I guess.

This is what makes the boards so fun.. In a few years, we get to bring this thread back and laugh about how wrong we were :cheers: I'm still trying to find the thread where Tri talked about how Palmieri couldn't keep up with the NHL pace and would be sent down in a game or two (sorry to pick on you Tri)

Maybe the Devils just wanted to save money? Unless the new storage space at the Rock is a sh!thole, then I wouldn't look too much into this. You wouldn't want to save $10k a year if you had the choice and ability to?

Of course I would.. I'm just making the joke that we shouldn't look into every little detail as a sign of a huge issue, when we know so little about what could really be happening.. It's a very real possibility that the Devils are in financial trouble, but only JVB, Lou, and the finance department really know what's up so who am I to make such claims

Edited by Colin226, 01 August 2011 - 12:01 PM.

Posted Image

#77 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

i know that its good to have cap space... but i dont know... if salvadore stays on LTIR, then we almost have too much cap space while shipping that could have been useful after all?

we only have 2 vets dman now... so were gonna have a rookie bottom pairing for sure, unless those moves are made to bring someone in

www.SterioDesign.com

#78 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

This is what makes the boards so fun.. In a few years, we get to bring this thread back and laugh about how wrong we were :cheers:

Of course I would.. I'm just making the joke that we shouldn't look into every little detail as a sign of a huge issue, when we know so little about what could really be happening.. It's a very real possibility that the Devils are in financial trouble, but only JVB, Lou, and the finance department really know what's up so who am I to make such claims

AH sorry didn't see the sarcasm in your post lol.

#79 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

AH sorry didn't see the sarcasm in your post lol.

Np man :cheers:
Posted Image

#80 Toaster13

Toaster13

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

"Lamoriello said the intention is for Trent Hunter to be on the Devils in 2011-12." = Being Placed On Waivers/Bought Out
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users