Photo

Historically, Which NJD Trade Irked You the Most?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,829 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

Plus the Isles aren't really a rival per se the way the other teams in the division (especially the Rangers and Flyers) are. Or as much of an immediate threat as those other teams for that matter. But yeah historically Lou's only made one insignificant deal with the Flyers - Scott Daniels rofl - and none with the Rangers.

Haha! There's a guy I forgot all about!
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#22 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

I cant see how Kovalchuk even contends. The contract is another matter entirely. The trade was a steal. Bergfors and Oduya? Yea, okay.

Outside of pre-1991, the only Devils trade that irked me (at the time) was Arnott/McKay for Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner. It obviously was not a bad trade at all, but it pissed me off when it happened. I did not like Langenbrunner at the time.

#23 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Just talking about trades and not players we lost because of FA signing elsewhere, I would have to say I was bummed about the Sykora trade where we got Friesen and Tverdovsky back. I liked quite a bit at the time and still do.

#24 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

Preemptive Strike.

I purposely avoided this topic. Thanks. :(
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#25 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

yeah i came back into this thread to post this one. if i understood hockey more back then, i would've been really pissed off at this deal, i think.

Yeah, that was one of Lou's worst. I was royally pissed at that deal. I couldn't fathom how he couldn't get more for Johnny Mac than that.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#26 American_Psycho

American_Psycho

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Korolyuk trade for me. Still miss him.

#27 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

Whatever the hell brought us Jocelyn Lemieux, mainly because Claude was my favorite player and bringing in his brother was a transparent attempt to re-add what the team missed when they shipped Claude out for Stumpy...

#28 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

Korolyuk trade for me. Still miss him.

Wasn't that the Malakhov "trade"?
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#29 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

Richer for Odelein
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

Yeah, that was one of Lou's worst. I was royally pissed at that deal. I couldn't fathom how he couldn't get more for Johnny Mac than that.

MacLean didn't help Lou's cause at all with that one...he came right out in a pre-game show and said that he wasn't happy with his new role (more of a checking role) and had asked Lou for a trade.

I hated that trade simply because I was a big MacLean fan and was sad to see him go, but it didn't irk me because I understood he had to go.

Loved the Gilmour deal at the time...I remember John Davidson was being interviewed on the WFAN and in the middle of it he said "And the Devils just made a deal for Doug Gilmour"...I was thrilled.

It's funny, I can't really think of any one deal that had me saying WTF? I'm not the biggest Kovy fan in the world now that I've had a chance to see him, but I'll always feel it was the right move at the right time, given the team's needs and the relatively low cost. Hopefully he can continue to build on the improvements he showed last season.

I do remember thinking the Arnott/McKay for Langs/Newy was weird at the time, mostly because I thought Lou was giving up on the A-line too quickly (though they did NOT have a good season that year...they were especially dreadful on the road). Safe to say it worked out nicely.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

Whatever the hell brought us Jocelyn Lemieux, mainly because Claude was my favorite player and bringing in his brother was a transparent attempt to re-add what the team missed when they shipped Claude out for Stumpy...

I was gonna post this trade for another reason ...

I started following the team in '95 (great year to get into the Devils, right?) and, being from Brick, was naturally a huge Jim Dowd fan. The second game I went to in my life, my Dad and I got there WAY early and saw players walking in. I ran to the car, grabbed the only autographable thing I could find (a Post-it note) and ran back to the Brendan Byrne box office entrance in time to get one last player's John Hancock ... it was Dowd. I remember being at my friend's birthday party the day of Game 2 of the Final, and the party paused while the game was on. We all lost our 12-year-old minds when Dowd scored what turned out to be the game-winner. And I was out of state for the parking lot parade, but you can bet your ass I was at the Dowd celebration at his old high school a few weeks later where he had this cheesy mini-motorcade around the football field while we all went apesh!t.

Then, just a couple weeks later, he was sent to Vancouver in a three-way deal that brought us Jocelyn Lemieux. Broke my heart. I think I still have the Asbury Park Press with the picture of him boarding the plane after getting dealt.

So, yeah, that's easily the deal that irked me the most.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#32 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

We talking about trades where we got the better of the deal, or trades that the player has failed? If its the latter, definitely kovalchuk. No matter how much yu love him, you can't deny that trade being a failure. First round in 5 then miss the playoffs. Talk about being irked
Devils.

#33 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

I started following the team in '95 (great year to get into the Devils, right?) and, being from Brick, was naturally a huge Jim Dowd fan. The second game I went to in my life, my Dad and I got there WAY early and saw players walking in. I ran to the car, grabbed the only autographable thing I could find (a Post-it note) and ran back to the Brendan Byrne box office entrance in time to get one last player's John Hancock ... it was Dowd. I remember being at my friend's birthday party the day of Game 2 of the Final, and the party paused while the game was on. We all lost our 12-year-old minds when Dowd scored what turned out to be the game-winner. And I was out of state for the parking lot parade, but you can bet your ass I was at the Dowd celebration at his old high school a few weeks later where he had this cheesy mini-motorcade around the football field while we all went apesh!t.

Then, just a couple weeks later, he was sent to Vancouver in a three-way deal that brought us Jocelyn Lemieux. Broke my heart. I think I still have the Asbury Park Press with the picture of him boarding the plane after getting dealt.

That deal was made in mid-December of '95 I think...I understood that deal at the time...after a good start I think the Devils had fallen to under-.500 when the Lou made the trade...seemed like he was trying to shake things up, and with Brylin waiting in the wings, Dowd was expendable, local boy heroics and all. Lou tried to get things going a few times that year, trading for Esa Tikkanen (who clearly wanted no part of NJ), and then for Phil Housely, but except for the beginning of the season and a pretty good stretch somewhere around the middle of the season, that '95-'96 team just never got it going...and none of the trades panned out at all.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#34 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,829 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:43 AM

Yeah, that trade killed me. I wasn't from Brick, but I loved having a Jersey guy on the Devils. What bothered me at the time was that it was 6 days before Christmas, and he'd be on the other side of the country instead of with his family. And as a 15 year old, I didn't really have a grasp on the idea that sports were a business, haha. I thought Lou was such a jerk.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#35 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

That deal was made in mid-December of '95 I think...I understood that deal at the time...after a good start I think the Devils had fallen to under-.500 when the Lou made the trade...seemed like he was trying to shake things up, and with Brylin waiting in the wings, Dowd was expendable, local boy heroics and all. Lou tried to get things going a few times that year, trading for Esa Tikkanen (who clearly wanted no part of NJ), and then for Phil Housely, but except for the beginning of the season and a pretty good stretch somewhere around the middle of the season, that '95-'96 team just never got it going...and none of the trades panned out at all.

Ah yes, you and Dan are right on the timing. For some reason I thought it was that summer.

During my time working at the newspaper, I had the pleasure of working with Dowd to organize coverage of his annual Monmouth vs. Ocean high school all-star hockey game. Just a ridiculously great guy.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#36 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

Ah yes, you and Dan are right on the timing. For some reason I thought it was that summer.

During my time working at the newspaper, I had the pleasure of working with Dowd to organize coverage of his annual Monmouth vs. Ocean high school all-star hockey game. Just a ridiculously great guy.

That's cool.

I remember when Dowd had 15 points in 15 GP in '93-'94, my friend was trying to extrapolate that over a full season, saying things like, "Man, next year he might put up 80 points!" Amazing his career lasted as long as it did...says a lot about his heart and love of the game.

#30 FOREVER!

#37 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

Richer for Odelein

THAT would have annoyed me. I'd have justified it all out though... said Richer was soft or something... Odelein seemed like a real a$$hole -- funny -- but still, maybe he didn't mean to be, you know?

Hind-sight trade discussion is pretty fun! :boogie: good idea!

I'm here for the party

#38 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

Paul Ysbeart (sic?) for Lee Norwood always irked me.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#39 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

The Chico Resch trade irked me... as an Islanders fan :giggle:

HEY -- Hedberg is for my daughter as Chico was for me.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 11 August 2011 - 08:50 PM.

I'm here for the party

#40 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

I remember being sad when we shipped Bill Guerin and Valeri Zelepukin off to Edmonton for Jason Arnott and Bryan Muir. I remember I taped the next Devils pregame on my VCR just so I could watch Bill and Valeri's final farewell interviews as Devils. ... However, obviously, Arnott won me over bigtime within a year.

Also, I was somewhat bummed when we traded Sheldon Souray for Vladimir Malakhov. Souray was young and had a superheavy slapshot. I thought he was going to be a mainstay on the backline for years to come.

And lastly, I too wasn't a fan of the Arnott/McKay-Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner deal, mostly because Randy McKay was my favorite Devils player. ... Obviously, that trade worked out well too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users