• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SteveStirling

SteveStirling

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

The National Hockey League has been trying out all sorts of potential changes to regular season games at its 2011 NHL Research and Development Camp, but NHL Executive Brendan Shanahan thinks he may have a winner.

“Last night we tried out a new overtime format that was hands down the most exciting change we’ve tested so far,” Shanahan told ItB. “It’s a 1-on-1 format, just a goalie and a shooter. Each team takes turns swapping roles, trying to score on the other’s goalie, best of five rounds.  I tell ya it’s gangbusters.”

The league has been toying with all sorts of ideas to improve its overtime format, currently consisting of a five minute overtime followed by a shootout. Since its inception, the shootout has been widely criticized as little more than a skills competition, something Shanahan believes the new format may improve on.

“I think this could be a vast improvement,” Shanahan said. “It boils hockey down to its essence, guys showcasing their skills in heated competition.”

He added “Right now I’m calling it the “Sensational Heated Opposition Of Teams Overtime Ultimate Throwdown, but that’s just a working title.”

View the full article on Intent To Blow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users