#21 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

Devils being Sued

The leader of a Brooklyn band wants to stick it to the New Jersey Devils, saying the puck-heads stole one of his songs.

Rob Traynor and the rest of Black Water Rising filed a $30 million suit after the team allegedly refused to pay for using "Rise" in a video.

His lawyer, Wallace Collins, said the Devils "are . . . offering an insultingly small amount of money to settle."

A spokesman for the Devils said the suit is "without merit."

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...M#ixzz1VlSIgUCh

can we trade fraser for the rights of the song and put the song on waivers?

#22 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

can we trade fraser for the rights of the song and put the song on waivers?

Yeah but then no one will pick it up even after re-entry wavers and then we will have to buy it out! :evilcry:

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#23 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

Song sucked. Way better intro song options out there.
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

I guess these guys graduated from the Lars Ulrich School Of Suing The Sh!t Out Of Everyone Who Gives Your Crappy Music Free Publicity.

:giggle:

And on another note, I hope the Devils are now completely embarrassed for using such a crap song. Stick to Hells Bells or something that makes sense and game highlights in the intro instead of generic nu-metal and shots of fans standing up.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#25 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,291 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

I also liked it when they did Runnin' with the Devil by Van Halen. That was great too.

They should also bring back Devil Inside by INXS for the warmups. Will take me back to 1992.

#26 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

I also liked it when they did Runnin' with the Devil by Van Halen. That was great too.

+1

When you heard that song start, you knew you had about one minute to get to your seat before the lights went out and the video started. And that was back in the Yanni days of awesome pre-game videos.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#27 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

perhaps it's been expunged because it was such a terrible playoff season, but two years ago when they used 30 seconds to mars as part of the opening for the flyers playoff series, i thought was the best intro they've ever had - including the Yanni years.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#28 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Has anyone ever considered that the reason they no longer use any of the "old favorites" is that the $$$ for the license use of those tunes was too expensive?
Regardless of the quality of the tune (and for the record I think that most of the music made in the last 15 years is crap) - they should paid for the use.
The ridiculously stupid "Lars Ulrich/South Park" - "suing for press" stereotype is why music sucks today. Everyone thinks that its OK to use, download, Youtube, or steal any song because its rich artists or record companies getting paid - no harm there.

Or, they feel that since the "starving artist" is getting exposure that its OK. The actual truth is the artist is making less than 10% of any CD sale (at MSRP), and even less on Legal downloads. The only way they truly make income is from licensing use - and that's exactly what's happening here.

Whether its 2012 Symphonic genius or some crap made on a home MAC(which most music today unfortunately is) the artist deserves to be paid for the use of their art the same way average Joe is paid for his 8, 10 or more hours at work each day.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Regardless of the quality of the tune (and for the record I think that most of the music made in the last 15 years is crap) - they should paid for the use.
The ridiculously stupid "Lars Ulrich/South Park" - "suing for press" stereotype is why music sucks today. Everyone thinks that its OK to use, download, Youtube, or steal any song because its rich artists or record companies getting paid - no harm there.

this is a totally ridiculous opinion. yes, it's because of lawsuits that music - apparently all forms of it - is terrible. way to make a gigantic logic jump that associates two completely unrelated things. are you seriously arguing that musicians everywhere are no longer incentivized to make good music because there's a chance that they can't earn millions of dollars from it?

Or, they feel that since the "starving artist" is getting exposure that its OK. The actual truth is the artist is making less than 10% of any CD sale (at MSRP), and even less on Legal downloads. The only way they truly make income is from licensing use - and that's exactly what's happening here.

licensing use is surely a big part of a top musician's income, but if you don't think this lawsuit is an attempt a publicity grab for an unknown band, you're being naive. yes, they deserve to be compensated for the use of the song - the amount they deserve, i don't know. but it's certainly not $30 million or anywhere near that.

Edited by Triumph, 22 August 2011 - 03:46 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#30 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

that song sucks balls

#31 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

Its a sh!t song and I HATE the video. I purposely avoid sitting down until after that so I dont have to see it. Just awful at what it tries to do. Contrived bullsh!t.

They really need to play up the fact that we're the DEVILS. This a huge advantage for something like marketing. And they produce that rancid fart of an entrance.

And there needs to be some damn fire involved too.

#32 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

perhaps it's been expunged because it was such a terrible playoff season, but two years ago when they used 30 seconds to mars as part of the opening for the flyers playoff series, i thought was the best intro they've ever had - including the Yanni years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3GEC0GvHe4

I agree. Being there in person was even better with the RED ALERT stuff.

#33 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,291 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Has anyone ever considered that the reason they no longer use any of the "old favorites" is that the $$$ for the license use of those tunes was too expensive?

Whether its 2012 Symphonic genius or some crap made on a home MAC(which most music today unfortunately is) the artist deserves to be paid for the use of their art the same way average Joe is paid for his 8, 10 or more hours at work each day.

I agree for the most part of what you wrote here. The problem is with today's music you cannot sell unless you have some sort of image. Basically you are either slutty (Britney, Rhianna), stale American-party rock (Nickelback, Kid Rock), thug rap/ hip hop or just plain weird (Lady Gaga). There are also a lot of underground bands that are quite terrible as they all really start to blend and sound the same and their image of underground is basically as far as they will go...underground.

Plus all the music you hear on the radio is for younger people, and I am talking about 10-15 crowd. Years ago rock and pop music in general was enjoyed by all ages up till their 50's and even 60's, but now it is all tween crap.

Take Rebecca Black. She got crap for her song Friday but mark my words, if Katy Perry sang that exact same song with the exact same lyrics it would have been a hit. Music is for little kids now and nothing appeals to anyone over 15 or 16 anymore unless you go to independent music shops or online.

#34 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3GEC0GvHe4

+1

Need more efforts like this.

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#35 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

I would not at all say most music today is crap, or made on a mac. If you have gone 15 years without listening to good, new music then I am sorry for you. I will certainly say that close to 100% of music on popular radio stations is absolute, sh!tty ass garbage... but i think the only difference between music now and music back in the day is that you have to look harder for great music... but it is certainly out there!!

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#36 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

I would not at all say most music today is crap, or made on a mac. If you have gone 15 years without listening to good, new music then I am sorry for you. I will certainly say that close to 100% of music on popular radio stations is absolute, sh!tty ass garbage... but i think the only difference between music now and music back in the day is that you have to look harder for great music... but it is certainly out there!!

Its not even hard to find, but if regular FM radio is your only outlet, blech.

#37 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

there you go, exactly

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#38 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

Some Interesting info on the subject as well

http://www.sbnation....ter-rising-band

The song is licensed by ASCAP, or the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, which works as a sort of middle man between artists like Black Water Rising and venues such as Prudential Center or teams such as the Devils. These organizations purchase "blanket licenses" through ASCAP, and that license grants them the permission to use their entire collection of music in a public setting, such as an arena or over the airwaves.

The band just doesn't like how the devils use it.
Posted Image

#39 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,291 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

Most of the bands I hear online or find as underground music are terrible and quite frankly all sound the same.

But that is another thread....

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

Most of the bands I hear online or find as underground music are terrible and quite frankly all sound the same.

But that is another thread....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users