34 replies to this topic

#21 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:20 PM

I think stick handling is an overrated ability in today's NHL.

stick handling is not overrated in any level of hockey.
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#22 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:31 PM

It's not high risk in the 2nd and later rounds. 25% of 2nd rounders make the NHL, so you're free to gamble there. The thing about a 1st round pick is that there are high expectations for them. They're expected to be good players. But Sather went with hubris once again, trying to show that he still knows how to find diamonds in the rough. Maybe he'll be right. But Jessiman hasn't exactly handled being a first-round pick very well.

The Devils have clearly shown themselves willing to pick smaller players, the selections of Gomez and Gionta and Parise show that. They pick who they think is the best player, and sure they will go for some reaches, and sometimes they miss. Not every player you pick is going to make the NHL.

Puck handling abilities? Does that include passing? I think stick handling is an overrated ability in today's NHL.

I will do a strength thing just like Parise

Strength:
1.) Top end speed
2.) Agility like St Louis, think of a tennis ball type player
3.) Deceptive Moves
4.) Best stickhandler in draft
5.) Amazing vision
6.) Great passing
7.) Better PP quarterback then Parise
8.) Grit is alot less then Parise, but still there, played through injuries
9.) Leadership (captains Mooseheads at 18 being a euro)
10.) Decent PK'er, nowhere close to Parise

Weaknesses:
1.) Strength on puck (relies on speed rather then strength)
2.) Size
3.) Average shot
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#23 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:33 PM

When you think of Petr Vrana think of Martin Straka with more defense. I have seen him in around the range of 20 times by now....maybe more.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#24 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:36 PM

Interesting stat: In the past 10 years, 46% of the players drafted in the 1st round have not played a single game in the NHL. Mind boggling.

Just for the hell of it, let's see how well the Devils have done. Graded with my scientific system... RED = stud; GREEN = journeyman; BLUE = loser; BLACK = still considered a prospect

1993 Denis Pederson
1994 Vadim Sharifijanov (around 90 NHL games total with the Devils and Canucks)
1995 Petr Sykora
1996 Lance Ward (went unsigned by the Devils, picked up by Florida in the 1998 draft)
1997 J-F Damphousse (6 NHL games)
1998 Mike van Ryn
1998 Scott Gomez
1999 Ari Ahonen
2000 David Hale (some will disagree... this is more of a "red and black" thing, though. he's already playing on an NHL level, and still has the potential to develop into a stud within the next few years)
2001 Adrian Foster
2002 N/A
2003 Zach Parise

Honestly, the Devils have had more first round busts than I expected, though from Scott Gomez on it's been solid. Foster is the only major question mark with his injury problems.
Posted Image

#25 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:02 PM

One thing on Van Ryn, as much as I dislike him, he has finally had a really good year. He is doing well in Florida after all that mess in St. Louis. Now someone should look him in the eye and ask him whether he could have cut the process short by repressing his ego, going to the minors in the first place and really learning the game. But maybe he needed the butt-kicking of 2-3 years of abject failure to get it all together.

He's finally looking like the player people thought he could be. I'm not sure he's in the 'stud' category yet but I believe he's found a home in Florida and you can take the 'journeyman' tag off him.

Edited by SueNJ97, 31 March 2004 - 04:03 PM.

NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#26 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:02 PM

The guy is 20 years old... you can not CAN NOT call Jessiman a bust yet....

Parise... that just proves that the Devils Scouts are awesome.. he is a head of the curve...
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#27 URNOTe

URNOTe

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:08 PM

Its just not the devils scouts are awesome....

UND is the best college hockey team in the Nation

And of Course GOD came from here...

#28 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:09 PM

So when will UND be celebrating their championship this year?

-Scott
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#29 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:11 PM

So when will UND be celebrating their championship this year?

-Scott

Ouch! :o
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#30 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:17 PM

This article by Brooks is an embarrassment to his profession. He's the same guy who talks about preaching patience with the newlook Ranger youth movement.

Now, he wants to bash the Rangers for taking a potential power forward (a more glaring need than a smallish playmaking center)? Brooks looks like a hypocrite here.

I'd rather have Jessiman because if he pans out, nobody will complain. Center was not the primary need last summer. The Rangers haven't had a power left wing in years. And that's what Jessiman's potential is.

He didn't have as great a year as his freshman one. But for Brooks to dismiss it as average when he still scored 17 goals and averaged a point-a-game is ridiculous. Everytime Brooks writes a good column, he screws up and makes himself look like an idiot.

Almost like he has two different personalities.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#31 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:20 PM

This article by Brooks is an embarrassment to his profession. He's the same guy who talks about preaching patience with the newlook Ranger youth movement.

Now, he wants to bash the Rangers for taking a potential power forward (a more glaring need than a smallish playmaking center)? Brooks looks like a hypocrite here.

I'd rather have Jessiman because if he pans out, nobody will complain. Center was not the primary need last summer. The Rangers haven't had a power left wing in years. And that's what Jessiman's potential is.

He didn't have as great a year as his freshman one. But for Brooks to dismiss it as average when he still scored 17 goals and averaged a point-a-game is ridiculous. Everytime Brooks writes a good column, he screws up and makes himself look like an idiot.

No... not a hypocrit... he is bipolar and the professional term is "wacked".. Ranger fans can now start to see just how damaged Brooks is...
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#32 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:22 PM

Perhaps he ghostwrites for (N)Єverson and was in the (N)Єverson mode when he wrote this.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#33 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:25 PM

The problem with Larry is he sometimes thinks the Rangers can just turn this around in an instant. But that's not going to happen. His impatience shows in this article. He makes it sound like Parise will be great right away. I didn't know he could see the future. Maybe Parise will step in and be great and maybe he won't. You can't predict the future.

Jessiman is a project. But that's okay because of where the Rangers are. They're not competing for Cups every year like the Devils. They're rebuilding. I'm hoping Jessiman stays in school and builds on his career at Dartmouth and improves. It takes time.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:07 PM

Well now you know what we go through with (N)Єverson...Brooks is starting to sound like the (N)Єverson of the Rangers, can't wait to look for the negative angle on anything :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#35 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:18 PM

Well now you know what we go through with (N)Єverson...Brooks is starting to sound like the (N)Єverson of the Rangers, can't wait to look for the negative angle on anything :lol:

I'm not sure what that was. Maybe it was the "NEverson" in Brooks coming out.

Maybe he was just upset because the Devils signed their first round pick from last year and he couldn't write a positive article about the Rangers' first-rounder from last year (because right now, there isn't really anything positive to write about Jessiman...there was no reason to be negative about him, but Brooks couldn't write a glowing article about him, either).

So the Rangers just got waxed again, despite the fact that the team tried hard for the first 2 periods. The Devils trotted out their first-round draft-pick all signed, sealed and delivered, a kid who the Rangers seriously considered, if the TV specials MSG did on the Rangers' draft are to be believed at all. Brooks looks for a positive story about Jessiman, COMPARED TO PARISE and can't find one. Now what he SHOULD have done is a nice story on Balej or something. Not trashed Jessiman. But Brooks lost his objectivity and went for the cheap and easy shot on Sather, not thinking how unfair it was to the kid at the time. At least I hope he wasn't thinking.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users