Photo

NHL GameCenter vs. Center Ice

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: NHL GameCenter vs. Center Ice (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best option for out-of-town fans to watch Devils games?

1. NHL GameCenter (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. NHL Center Ice (10 votes [52.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

3. Save your money and keep streaming them for free online (5 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

By "replay ability", do you mean replaying entire games? Or does it allow you to go back, mid-game, and watch replays sorta like a DVR?

Both
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#22 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

I have Center Ice , and my girlfriend got me Game Center so that I wouldn't have to miss games at her place. As far as my experience here are the difficulties I've encountered:

1. They haven't worked out all the bugs w/ROKU. We experienced MANY freezes and lags - and she has the fastest internet connection for her home IT work. She called them like 10 times and they say they don't fully support ROKU just yet and are having difficulties streamlining it. It made the game almost unwatchable on the TV.

2. The actual screen has a tracker at the bottom (for recorded games in the archives) that shows you where goals or scored and what time and by who. I don't if there's a way to turn it off, but we had to cover the bottom of the monitor to preserve the element of spontaneity when watching a previous broadcast game.

3. I don't know how quickly the dump games into the archive. Being on the WC, most NJ games take place at our 4pm Pac Time. I'm usually in work at this time and like to watch my games when I get home at 7/8 or so. Not sure they have them loaded up until the next day or so. This is a drag for me because I don;t want to wait. Its my 1st priority when I enter the house.

4. CUSTOMER SERVICE: My GF is very persistent when it comes to an issue or problem with something she's purchased. She got this for me as a Valentine's gift and with the issues we had with the ROKU lag it was a bummer for he that I didn't totally dig it (although I appreciated the gift immensely). She called close to 10 times and spoke to 3 different supervisors before she got with someone who finally gave her like a $20 credit for the fact that the salesman told her it would work fine with the ROKU. Considering the $$$ of the service they could do much better at supporting their product. Especially since the competition of cable provider is still what most folk are comfortable with. They are still pushing that the service is mainly for the computer - but in this day and age with NETFLIX , ROKU and such it is fast becoming the preferred method of service.

5. The plus is choosing home feed vs. away.

Its a big issue for those of us who are out of market.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#23 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

Wow, sorry to hear about all the customer service issues and unresolved kinks. The fact that there is now an NHL GameCenter app on PS3, much like Netflix, that it's be a better streaming experience than what you had with ROKU. But I guess there's no way to know for sure.

I guess it's a matter of weighing pros and cons. In my case, I feel like with GameCenter I'll have a better chance of watching the games in HD than with Center Ice through Comcast. I also feel like GameCenter has a better chance of causing me to miss games because of lagging/streaming issues, whereas Center Ice will pretty much guarantee me every game ... though most likely in SD. The DVR- and OnDemand-like replay capabilities for GameCenter are nice too, as is the fact that I could watch on my laptop while on travel for work.

Another big factor will be when prices are announced for the season. That can't be too far off now with the season starting in about a month.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#24 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

Went ahead and ordered GameCenter. Already love it. Re-watched 552 and Game 4 against Detroit in '95 yesterday.

My only issue is that, on my PS3, it's still acting as if it's last season. I can watch live preseason games from my computer, but no such luck on PS3. Anyone else here subscribe/have this issue? It's so early on that I assume it'll be cleared up by the regular season's start, but still, it'd be nice to get preseason games on my TV.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users