Photo

NHL GameCenter vs. Center Ice

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: NHL GameCenter vs. Center Ice (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best option for out-of-town fans to watch Devils games?

1. NHL GameCenter (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. NHL Center Ice (10 votes [52.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

3. Save your money and keep streaming them for free online (5 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

As much as I appreciated the efforts of people like Microwavepizza to stream all the Devils' games last season, I feel the need to cave in and get either GameCenter or Center Ice. The question is: Which one?

So who's had what? What are some pros and cons?

I have a PS3, and apparently GameCenter can stream through that. Are all their games in HD? Any issues with the stream lagging?

I also have Comcast, and had Center Ice 6 years ago through them and remember their HD selection being extremely limited. Has that changed?

Also, is anyone else in the same boat as me, looking for help deciding between the two?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#2 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

I had a similar dilemma...ok, maybe only slightly related. Regardless, check out my post w/ responses here. Might give you a little insight. http://hfboards.com/...ad.php?t=971097

I opted for Center Ice but I switched to DirecTV because I hear they have the best HD selection.

Edited by mrthemike, 31 August 2011 - 09:37 AM.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#3 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

I had a similar dilemma...ok, maybe only slightly related. Regardless, check out my post w/ responses here. Might give you a little insight. http://hfboards.com/...ad.php?t=971097

I opted for Center Ice but I switched to DirecTV because I hear they have the best HD selection.

Awesome! Thanks for linking to that thread. Lots of good info there.

I'm kinda leaning toward GameCenter right now. Comcast seems like they don't have much in HD, and if I'm paying that much I'd definitely want HD. I also travel a lot for work, so streaming from the hotel room sounds good too. My only worry is that my internet is just DSL. It works fine for streaming Netflix stuff in HD. I wonder if it'd have any problems steaming live games in HD?
Posted Image

#4 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

In your case I would probably go with gamecenter also. I can't comment on the potential lagginess. I would think if you can stream HD netflix you should be able to stream HD games...i would think...

#5 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

Going to be facing the same question soon. May be facing a move to Columbus. I survived college in Ohio by relying on free streams, but it gets old after awhile. May go the center ice route.
Posted Image Posted Image

#6 NHLeBeau44

NHLeBeau44

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:37 PM

Going to be facing the same question soon. May be facing a move to Columbus. I survived college in Ohio by relying on free streams, but it gets old after awhile. May go the center ice route.

If you are coming to Columbus, welcome to the city. Unfortunately, the Devils don't come here often but crossing my fingers the Jackets go to the east...Anyways, I just caved in and will purchase the Center Ice package for the first time. I did the free streams for a while and it got really old trying to find one with the least amount of lag possible.

#7 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:08 AM

I had Center ice and loved it, mind you the HD selections still are slim. It's still worth the money to watch all of the teams play as you'll always have something to watch on TV after a long day at work.
Posted Image

#8 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Wow, no votes for GameCenter. Has anyone actually had it? Had bad experiences with it?
Posted Image

#9 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Wow, no votes for GameCenter. Has anyone actually had it? Had bad experiences with it?

I've had both GameCenter and Center Ice. If you have a PS3, I would go for GameCenter; more games in HD, plus you can watch replays of games if you want.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

I dumped DirecTV and got me a Roku as I rarely watch TV these days and found myself DVRing everything. So this season I'm going to be trying out GameCenter for the first time. Hope it's worth it.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#11 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

I have Center Ice with Fios... but the standard feeds are so bad, and Verizon by me for the most part only airs the home feed unlessits a really slow night.
I'd switch to GameCenter in a second if I could get it through my Xbox...

I'm debating if I want to set up my computer to stream to my tv through HDMI, and bring my audio over as well... but I really just want it to work hassle free.... arg arg.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#12 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:49 PM

If you are coming to Columbus, welcome to the city. Unfortunately, the Devils don't come here often but crossing my fingers the Jackets go to the east...Anyways, I just caved in and will purchase the Center Ice package for the first time. I did the free streams for a while and it got really old trying to find one with the least amount of lag possible.

Thanks! While it would be nice for the Jackets to move to the East, I kinda like them in the west. They are my Western Conference team afterall. And since they rarely face the Devils, very little conflict of interest.

I've had both GameCenter and Center Ice. If you have a PS3, I would go for GameCenter; more games in HD, plus you can watch replays of games if you want.

How is the PS3 reception? Have rarely used the PS3 internet browser. But since I do have a PS3, gamecenter may be the better choice for me.
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

Microwavepizza FOREVER!
Posted Image Deb Placey (unofficial)
Posted Image

#14 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

If you have DirecTV (and from what I hear, Dish Network as well), they broadcast all available HD games, with both home and away feeds.

If you have Comcast, go with GameCenter. Comcast still doesn't have many games in HD (if any at all).

#15 Jin4576

Jin4576

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

I have gamecenter for the PS3 and the kool thing is that you can subscribe to the NHL Vault for $5 a month and still see all the games (minus the random blackout games) live on the PS3, but not on PC if that matters. I mean I don't know if they fixed it for this season so it might not be true still. The HD stream is hit or miss depending on your connection really. If its bad it'll drop it down a couple of notches like Netflix does, but when its running smooth it looks amazing.

#16 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

Yeah, satellite is kinda out of the question for me. Stuck with Comcast, unfortunately.

GameCenter is looking more and more promising.
Posted Image

#17 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

How is the PS3 reception? Have rarely used the PS3 internet browser. But since I do have a PS3, gamecenter may be the better choice for me.

Oops - I should've realized that sounded ambiguous. I don't have a PS3. My point was that if you could easily get the games on a TV, GameCenter is more than worth it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#18 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

Dish Network does not stream MSG games in HD due to contract disputes. I had to watch the majority of Devs games in SD last season. Switched to DirecTV this year.

Edited by mrthemike, 02 September 2011 - 11:48 AM.

#19 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

The PS3 Gamecenter App has some stability problems. It wont always boot up for me, and takes a reinstall to fix. When it works its great, but it can be a pain in the ass. But having replay ability, and the ability to go back and watch games/watch multiple games at once is really awesome.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#20 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:36 AM

The PS3 Gamecenter App has some stability problems. It wont always boot up for me, and takes a reinstall to fix. When it works its great, but it can be a pain in the ass. But having replay ability, and the ability to go back and watch games/watch multiple games at once is really awesome.

By "replay ability", do you mean replaying entire games? Or does it allow you to go back, mid-game, and watch replays sorta like a DVR?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users