81 replies to this topic

#21 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

As a Yankees fan, I would be on suicide watch if I had to listen to Sterling year round.

Forget Schiavone, why not good ole' JR? Imagine how good he would be when a fight breaks out, especially since they play Stone Cold's music during?

I'm still holding out hope they manage to get Gary Throne in.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

I'm still holding out hope they manage to get Gary Throne in.

Me too

#23 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

Gary Thorne is all about bad-mispronunciations & fake hype. Please stay with the Orioles & Little League.
There's gotta be some good minor league announcers just chomping at the bit for this.

#24 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

Gary Thorne is all about bad-mispronunciations & fake hype. Please stay with the Orioles & Little League.
There's gotta be some good minor league announcers just chomping at the bit for this.

He is, and the game to an extent has passed him by, but who else is really out there?

#25 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

He is, and the game to an extent has passed him by, but who else is really out there?

Don La Greca?

n2eg.jpg

#26 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

Can La Greca be a Play by play guy? I only know him to be a radio talkie and Kay's sidekick.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

Can La Greca be a Play by play guy? I only know him to be a radio talkie and Kay's sidekick.

Mike

Yeah hes not a PBP guy. Great that hes a fan but that cant be the only prereq.

#28 Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

Yeah hes not a PBP guy. Great that hes a fan but that cant be the only prereq.

He is a PBP guy. He does fill-in Rangers' radio broadcast, and I wouldn't mind him one bit.

Edited by Baggy Spandex, 02 September 2011 - 12:36 PM.

"Marion Gaborik scored his 65th, 66th, 67th, and 68th goals of the season tonight.

However, The Rangers were beaten by the Maple Leafs 6-4. Rather than bore you with those highlights, let's enjoy yet another encore presentation of our great MSG documentary, "1994: The Year We Can't Stop Thinking About" " - Warren

#29 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

He is a PBP guy. He does fill-in Rangers' radio broadcast, and I wouldn't mind him one bit.

I stand corrected then. Havent heard him (as listening to the rangers on the radio would make me drive into a ditch), but people say hes pretty decent, so...

#30 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

My guess is that it'll probably be a radio PBP guy from another team, just to throw out a random name....Nick Nickson who does radio PBP for the Kings.
Posted Image

#31 aLowDrudge

aLowDrudge

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

I wouldn't mind them letting Dano have a crack at it with Chico. I don't know that you would have a traditional color/play-by-play set up with those two. But I bet it would make for some interesting conversation.

#32 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

I wouldn't mind them letting Dano have a crack at it with Chico. I don't know that you would have a traditional color/play-by-play set up with those two. But I bet it would make for some interesting conversation.

Conversation, yes. You need someone to keep the telecast moving, though. I've never seen it work in any sport without a real deal commentator. There's an art to it, and, knowledgeable and likable as Chico and Dano are, they lack certain skills you need. Not saying the pure play by play guys are worth anything -- Joe Buck blows no matter what sport he does, and one of the reasons Doc was great was that he loved the sport, but a good booth has at least 1 trained professional rather than just a guy who loves the game.

Edited by mouse, 02 September 2011 - 10:02 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#33 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

Chico and Dano would be a trainwreck.

#34 2L3MI3UX2

2L3MI3UX2

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:20 AM

Chico and Dano are both color guys, don't think they could keep up with/build suspense with their commentary. Daneyko is a great one I have to say. Hope he gets a chance to do color for NJ eventually.

I hope Thorne comes back. He has a great voice, and is pretty exciting to hear. His insight and detail in his game calling isn't on the level of Doc's but I'd still like him.

#35 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

I suspect Chico won't be the color guy much longer since Doc left (not rooting for him to leave, but they were the dynamic duo in my mind)

Thorne - Dano combination? mmm...maybe...

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#36 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hiring Gary Thorne would certainly fit in with Lou's tradition of bringing in retreads...
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#37 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

the suicide rate in the fan base would sky rocket.

#38 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

I don't know what I'm going to do without Doc calling the games. He's called just about every game I can remember watching on TV, minus Gary Thorne on ESPN, but his voice is the voice of the Devils for me and anybody else is just not going to sound right to me. I'm honestly quite distraught about this.

#39 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:10 PM

Gary Thorne great voice but man what a screw up in every other way from names to blown calls "NO NO THE LIGHT DIDN'T GO ON"

#40 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

I'm willing to bet it's someone no one's thinking of, but will make perfect sense when it's announced. I believe there's even a term for it, it's called DeBoering.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users