53 replies to this topic

#21 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hitting is great, and I already said Ovechkin is more entertaining and is probably the best natural scorer in the league, but Crosby is still a better all-around player. He can score, pass, take faceoffs, and is a proven winner and leader. He's led 2 teams to the finals. Ovechkin has still yet to prove that he can be a team guy. His teams are notorious for folding in the playoffs. They showed absolutely no heart in the second round this year.

And I say all this while admitting I like Ovechkin more.

I really have to agree with this statement. Ovechkin clearly is a better stick handler and put the puck where ever it is he wants, but I still feel that Crosby is a better rounded player. While there is no I in team and one player can not solely bring a team to the cup, Crosby just seems to fill the Captain spot more so then Ovechkin does. If we are talking entertainment, Ovechkin is the one to watch (Example, All Star Game best shot) but if we are talking the most recent player that can represent the sport in all levels, Crosby comes to my mind.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#22 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:10 PM

If he's not retiring why call a press conference?
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#23 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hopefully it's just to say that he has progress but he's taking things slow and may not be ready for the beginning of the season. This is a huge story in Canada and TSN has nearly daily updates on it, so he may be holding a press conference to explain whats going on in more detail. I think it'll take a lot more for him to retire. He'd sit out a year or more before deciding to hang them up.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#24 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

While these head injuries are tough to call, I just don't see how he could be announcing his retirement, when all of this could clear up in a few more months. Unless of course he has some information from his doctors that we don't know about. I guess the mystery will be cleared up tommorrow at noon.
Posted Image Posted Image

#25 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Because he is one of the faces of the NHL and he is in a position to call a press conference to say he has a hemroid if he so chooses.

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#26 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:40 AM

Hitting is great, and I already said Ovechkin is more entertaining and is probably the best natural scorer in the league, but Crosby is still a better all-around player. He can score, pass, take faceoffs, and is a proven winner and leader. He's led 2 teams to the finals. Ovechkin has still yet to prove that he can be a team guy. His teams are notorious for folding in the playoffs. They showed absolutely no heart in the second round this year.

And I say all this while admitting I like Ovechkin more.

Scott Stevens led teams folded like cheap suits between 96 and 99, did that make him a lousy leader? Steve Yzerman played the majority of his career leading his teams to playoff heartbreaks, was he an unproven team player?

Equating playoff success with a single player's leadership ability or "team guy" status is nonsense. If Ovechkin wasn't a team guy, he wouldn't be wearing the C.

#27 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

He's a great, great player, but I'm not sure who or what is actually a draw as the NHL goes. IMO they'd get their numbers with or without him. It's not like he's a media darling or someone who is "out there" that people actually like. And the one place outside Pittsburgh where he's a true superstar, isn't going to up and stop watching the NHL because there's no Crosby.

To me, the NHL's ability to draw solely relies on a compelling story or a big stage. You give the masses a winter classic or a solid extended late playoff series, and some of them will watch. Otherwise it's the same crowd no matter who's out there.

NBC would sh!t a brick, though, because they might actually have to book someone new for their afternoon games on weekends.

#28 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

Suddenly i really don't care about this Press Conference...
Not that i was super excited to listen about it... but with recent more dramatic news... Crosby's future sound so .. secondary

#29 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

Scott Stevens led teams folded like cheap suits between 96 and 99, did that make him a lousy leader? Steve Yzerman played the majority of his career leading his teams to playoff heartbreaks, was he an unproven team player?

Equating playoff success with a single player's leadership ability or "team guy" status is nonsense. If Ovechkin wasn't a team guy, he wouldn't be wearing the C.

Stevens and Yzerman proved themselves eventually. I didn't say Ovechkin wouldn't. I said he hasn't done it yet and that Crosby is a better all-around player.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#30 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

What's the verdict?

Edit: Nevermind, it's at 12:30

Edited by Devilsfan118, 07 September 2011 - 11:23 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#31 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Penguins site is streaming the conference

#32 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

I think Pizzo said it best:

robpizzo Rob Pizzo
Should Sid still be going ahead with this presser?Massive tragedy today, and to be honest,I couldn't care less about his head right now

#33 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

Here is the stream:

http://video.penguin...d=616&id=122405

Posted Image

#34 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hmm..Sid is a Ferrari.

#35 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hmm..Sid is a Ferrari.

It is what makes him...him. :rolleyes:

Why wont they just shut up and let Sid talk?

Edited by Quinn01, 07 September 2011 - 11:41 AM.

Posted Image

#36 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Sounds like he had some serious, serious damage done.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#37 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

Today is Christmas for Crosby...poor choice of words Doc.

#38 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

Nice watch ya got there Sid.

Stop talking about how "Today is a good day and its like Christmas."

So I jumped in on this a little late but what was the expected date of return?

Edited by Quinn01, 07 September 2011 - 11:46 AM.

Posted Image

#39 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Retiring? And losing, what, 20m? No, don't think so bud...

believe-ll.jpg

#40 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hmm..Sid is a Ferrari.

I hereby demand a Top Gear-style race between Sid the Ferrari and Mike Modano the high-speed motorboat.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users