236 replies to this topic

#201 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

Seems so. Apparently he did name the player in an earlier version of the post but was pressured to remove it, but from context it's clear who he's talking about.

Yeah, had to be Skrastins- I think he was the only guy on the plane who had connections to the Stars. What a heart-breaking piece. I feel so bad for these families. Words can't even express it.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#202 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Karpotzev's wife and kid were in a car accident driving to Yaroslavl. They're okay, minor injuries, holy crap though. Another player's mother died of a heart attack upon hearing the news (Ostapchuk).

This is the moment the crash was announced at the Atlant game (27 is Alex Kovalev)

Posted Image

The team is going to keep going. Looks like they'll have a draft and they're trying to get players with ties to the organization (i.e. Alexei Yashin) to come back. Theres a few current NHL'ers with ties, so it will be interesting to see if any of them go for the year.

Edited by ghdi, 08 September 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#203 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

Saw this on puck daddy:

http://achicksperspe.../reality-check/

That was a tough read, but it's got to be happening all over the place. Sadder and sadder.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#204 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

I hate this offseason

believe-3devils.jpg

#205 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

If that is true and Galimov as suffered 90% burns to his body i really really hope he is in a medically induced coma or can't feel anything.

I think that being able to feel that could be a pain worse than death. Still i hope he can recover. Same for the crew member.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#206 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

You know what stinks -- I really liked both Rachunek and Vasyunov - when they leave you sort of cut them from your thoughts... I do anyhow... so it's so awful how final this is, you know? There's no coming back -- no forgive and forget... it's just a cold, final gone. I can't even begin to think how the families might feel.

and thinking about those poor little girls with just no clue what's ahead of them....there was no sheltering my little one even when she was 2. Maybe because she's an only child? She always listens to everything and just never misses a trick. And she knows it's too hard for grown ups to talk about sometimes so she doesn't ask or talk -- she just gets so STOIC. I just hope she never has to go through anything like this. Anyhow - it's all dark enough no need for me to :blahblah:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 08 September 2011 - 05:26 PM.

I'm here for the party

#207 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm going to give this its own thread, but a bunch of fans are gathering at Championship Plaza tomorrow around 5pm to place items/notes/candles by the silver statue in remembrance of AV and everyone who was lost in the crash, so please feel free to attend..

People are also more than welcome to and place things there later on Friday or Saturday

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#208 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

I'm going to give this its own thread, but a bunch of fans are gathering at Championship Plaza tomorrow around 5pm to place items/notes/candles by the silver statue in remembrance of AV and everyone who was lost in the crash, so please feel free to attend..

People are also more than welcome to and place things there later on Friday or Saturday

That's very nice Colin, its a great show of respect and rememberance. I'm hoping that the team wears a patch for Vas this year too, or maybe the league will step up and have all teams wear a patch to remember the victims. I think that would be the appropriate thing to do.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#209 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

Dynamo Minsk Honors their Fallen fellow players:

Emotional.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#210 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Dynamo Minsk Honors their Fallen fellow players:

Emotional.

Classy move by Dynamo Minsk...so hard to watch though.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#211 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

That's very nice Colin, its a great show of respect and rememberance. I'm hoping that the team wears a patch for Vas this year too, or maybe the league will step up and have all teams wear a patch to remember the victims. I think that would be the appropriate thing to do.

The patch on the jerseys would be a very very nice gesture and I dont think that would slip by Lou. It may be a patch for the whole team. Either way I would be happy to see if they do have some sort of memorial from player to player kind of thing.

Edited by Quinn01, 08 September 2011 - 09:54 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#212 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

I'd say the odds of the Devils wearing a uniform patch are 99.9% not happening. Anything the Devils do in that sense will pretty much be league mandated. While the Devils will most certainly honor the memories of the team and ex-players lost, they probably would do it tastefully repsectful such as a moment of silence or a short video montage as they well should.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#213 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

This is devastating news. RIP

#214 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

I'd say the odds of the Devils wearing a uniform patch are 99.9% not happening. Anything the Devils do in that sense will pretty much be league mandated. While the Devils will most certainly honor the memories of the team and ex-players lost, they probably would do it tastefully repsectful such as a moment of silence or a short video montage as they well should.

Agreed on all points. I mean, the Devils wore a patch for Pat Burns for, what, five games? The only full-season patch I recall was for McMullen.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#215 Bringbackbrylin

Bringbackbrylin

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[/img]

Posted Image

Edited by Bringbackbrylin, 09 September 2011 - 09:19 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of The Championship Plaza brick my ex-girlfriend got me

#216 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

Excellent piece by SI's Stu Hackel:

http://nhl-red-light...t2_a7&eref=sihp

The first coherent thought I had when I woke too early this morning was that it would be great for the NHL to have all its teams wear a patch with the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl crest on their jerseys during the first weeks of the season to honor the players who perished on Wednesday. Sometimes first thoughts that rise before the sun vanish along with the morning darkness, but this one stuck around.

And then the plane flew over.

On the nights that I have trouble sleeping, the sound I dread most is that of the first flight out from the airport near my house. It means I don’t have time to fall back asleep. But when I can’t sleep because an air tragedy has shocked me, I dread that sound even more, my mind connecting it with death. I got that dreadful feeling 10 years ago, and it happened again this morning.

Ten years ago, I remember not being able to sleep and hearing jets flying overhead at odd hours, knowing they were military aircraft, the only ones allowed to fly here for a while after 9/11. But it wasn’t the fighter jets as much as the notion that death could come from the sky — the sky for goshsakes! the air we breathe every day — that got to me.

He goes on to share emotions being expressed across the hockey world. This fan-blog post, from The H Does Not Stand For Habs, is particularly poignant:

In a way, though, the way we feel now might be a catalyst for the betterment of the sport, or at least the way we fans behave toward the sport and its practitioners. I know I can't blame Sidney Crosby for whining to the refs anymore, because I just want to see him play again. I can't hate the leafs because I think about the Minsk fans who probably hated to see Lokomotiv come to town, and now they're all dead. That stuff goes beyond hockey. That's real life, and as we know, sports are supposed to be an escape from real life. These athletes are supposed to be heroes who stand above our vices of addiction and depression and avoid our human tragedies. They're not supposed to die. This summer has proven they're not any of that. These players are people with the same needs and shortcomings as the rest of us, and that must change the way we, as fans, look at the game.

Now we know these guys are human beings who just happen to be really good at the game we love. That has to give us some perspective about what we expect of them. I know I don't want any of the Canadiens to goon it up until his brain is damaged or he becomes addicted to narcotics to handle the pain. I don't want any of them to sit at home feeling so inadequate and helpless that he becomes suicidal. At this point, whatever happens on the ice is secondary to making sure the young men who play for our team are healthy, happy and protected. That's a radical shift for a fan who used to only want a Cup, no matter what the cost.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#217 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

This is so terrible... i remember very well in 2008 when Luc bourdon died in a bike accident like 30 minutes from my place, i knew him and his gf and she was absolutely destroyed (she actually saw him crash, thats even worst) even a year after she couldnt even look at pictures of him :( but i remember how the whole region was in some kind of cold and sad atmosphere. Letang couldnt even play anymore and he was playing in the cup final, his dream. They did his funeral in the arena of his hometown where he grew up and the place was FULL, even of people who didnt even knew him really.

So now with all those guys gone... i cant even imagine how many people are touched by it and how big will be the repercussions... i know that there's a lot of NHLers who lost really good friends in that crash... they may not be able to compete at 100% for awhile, maybe not but still... so terrible

www.SterioDesign.com

#218 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302070_260289294002133_143648252332905_905369_908941741_n.jpg

RIP

#219 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

So sad. All around. I can't even imagine. I hate on our fans a lot, but today's gathering was tremendous.

#220 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

This is really hard to watch at times

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users