236 replies to this topic

#61 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,004 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

Where are you reading that Korolev and Karpovtsev were on the plane? I do not see that referenced anyplace.

they were on the coaching staff
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#62 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

I think he declined one or didn't want to consider and had already had his heart set on Russia by the end of last season.

He declined because it was a two-way and he wanted one-way. We retained his rights though as he signed a qualifier.

#63 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,871 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

they were on the coaching staff

That might be so, but I do not see them listed anyplace that they were confirmed on the plane.

#64 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Absolutely terrible loss of life. Hockey players or not, it's such an unnecessary and tragic event when you know that steps could have been taken to prevent this.
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#65 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,220 posts

Obviously any human life lost is tragic, but reading names of players I recognize is really making this sink in and making me feel sick to my stomach.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#66 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Where are you reading that Korolev and Karpovtsev were on the plane? I do not see that referenced anyplace.

It hasnt been confirmed that they were on that flight just yet.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#67 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

This is so sad, really makes me sick to my stomach. :(

I work with a few Russian guys and they all say that Russian airlines in general have no money to buy or maintain new planes and are all using Soviet-era planes that are 30-40 years old and barely have maintenance done on them. It's been said before in this thread, but they all tell me that if you have to fly in Russia, do it on an on airline that is not Russian-based.

#68 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

I work with a few Russian guys and they all say that Russian airlines in general have no money to buy or maintain new planes and are all using Soviet-era planes that are 30-40 years old and barely have maintenance done on them. It's been said before in this thread, but they all tell me that if you have to fly in Russia, do it on an on airline that is not Russian-based.

The plane was reportedly built in 93 and belonged to a small Yak Service company.

There were reports that a member of the flight crew had survived. Can anyone find info on whether or not this is still true?

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#69 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

Agreed. But Russian aircraft are very rugged and built to operate in a pretty rough climate. This aircraft wasn't too old either...according to airframes.org, RA-42434 was built in 1993.

Edited by mmajeski06, 07 September 2011 - 11:02 AM.

#70 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

not trying to be funny but with players dying directly on the bench with no medical staff around, teams dying in sh!tty airplanes maybe a little bit less players would choose to cross oversea for a little more $$$ than in the NHL.

www.SterioDesign.com

#71 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,739 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

The plane was reportedly built in 93 and belonged to a small Yak Service company.

There were reports that a member of the flight crew had survived. Can anyone find info on whether or not this is still true?

This is from the NHL.com article... looks like 1980

According to the reports on the crash, the plane, a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger jet, went down and caught fire shortly immediately after taking to the air, crashing less than 2 kilometers from the airport.

The short- and medium-range Yak-42 has been in service since 1980. It was en route to Minsk, Belarus for a Thursday night game against Dynamo Minsk, Lokomotiv's opener to the 2011-12 KHL season.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#72 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Galimov is dead :(

#73 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

Do the Devils still use that old 727?

#74 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Agreed. Russian aircraft are very rugged and built to operate in a pretty rough climate. This aircraft wasn't too old though...according to airframes.org, RA-42434 was built in 1993.

It's still almost 20 years old and if proper maintenance is not performed, forget it.

#75 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

not trying to be funny but with players dying directly on the bench with no medical staff around, teams dying in sh!tty airplanes maybe a little bit less players would choose to cross oversea for a little more $$$ than in the NHL.

most of those players probably weren't nhl caliber

#76 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

+1

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#77 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

TG just confirmed Josef Vasicek as being onboard the plane.

#78 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

This from an aviation news site..."Russian news printed a witness report of the ATCO working the flight - he states that the airplane seemed to have power problems on ground already, accelerating very slowly and not leaving the ground until after the end of (3000m) runway, subsequently hitting a pole (possibly MM)."

#79 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,871 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:06 AM

This is from the NHL.com article... looks like 1980

NHL.com tends to either word things very wrong or their writers misunderstand what they are analyzing. It looks like that particular plane they were on was built in 1993 but the model of aircraft was first introduced in 1980 with production ending in 2002. Since 1980, there have been 7 crashes out of a total of 178 built.

This from an aviation news site..."Russian news printed a witness report of the ATCO working the flight - he states that the airplane seemed to have power problems on ground already, accelerating very slowly and not leaving the ground until after the end of (3000m) runway, subsequently hitting a pole (possibly MM)."

If that is the case, then maintenance records (if any) will be heavily examined.

#80 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:06 AM

Brad McCrimmon is gone.

(Death confirmations are pouring out now)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users