352 replies to this topic

#341 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

No likey. Especially being limited to "only drafting a rookie during the rookie round" I think we all value rookies potential well enough and draft them throughout the rounds accordingly. I'd be pretty pissed if a rookie I wanted got snatched up in he "rookie rd" before I could get em.

Standings as they are, you'd draft 5th anyway in the rookie round B )

and I think it's a neat way to balance things out so the bottom-feeders get a shot at a decent player without screwing up the whole system in the process
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#342 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Standings as they are, you'd draft 5th anyway in the rookie round Posted Image

and I think it's a neat way to balance things out so the bottom-feeders get a shot at a decent player without screwing up the whole system in the process

Not that anyone would... but if it's a straight reverse pick - doesn't that create incentive to tank it once you are elminated from the playoffs? Maybe if we have a provision that you have to remain competivie (start a full line up..) or our own lottery system... lol

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#343 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

Not that anyone would... but if it's a straight reverse pick - doesn't that create incentive to tank it once you are elminated from the playoffs? Maybe if we have a provision that you have to remain competivie (start a full line up..) or our own lottery system... lol

Well one thing I thought NFL should do....if you're tied with someone head to head for the draft pick, and you WON the head to head matchup....you get the better pick (but then again history says, the awful teams tend to be AWFUL and they tank with a FULL line-up in them)

....the only wacky thing I can think of is to use the seeding from the consolation playoffs, but that rewards the team that just missed the playoffs and had a good team as well.....
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#344 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

....the only wacky thing I can think of is to use the seeding from the consolation playoffs, but that rewards the team that just missed the playoffs and had a good team as well.....

That's actually a good idea... it makes the consolation playoffs worth something. And it's not like the draft pick is used to "restock" a team like a real team... we all redraft new teams each (less the single keeper).

Even if we don't do a rookie draft; I think we should award something to the consolation winner other than 'pride' of course. Maybe something like +2 or +3 to your "choice" to pick in the draft? I don't think they should automatically be awarded 2nd choice though unless by chance they drew 3-6, etc.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#345 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

Standings as they are, you'd draft 5th anyway in the rookie round B )

Still no likey. If there's a rook out there worth haven, YOU gotta determine where he will fall to and snag 'em when you think it is appropriate.... then reap the rewards ... or eat the goat.

Edited by Masked Fan, 22 December 2011 - 09:02 PM.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#346 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Still no likey. If there's a rook out there worth haven, YOU gotta determine where he will fall to and snag 'em when you think it is appropriate.... then reap the rewards ... or eat the goat.

I actually agree with Masked...it'd take away some of the unpredictability and margin of error of the main draft. Plus what happens after the season starts when the rookie proves useless or not needed, can you not replace him on the roster or only replace him with another rookie? I don't get reserving two or three spots in a non-dynasty league for rookies.

Besides, looking back over the draft quickly it's not as if rookies were a priority anyway. These were the ten rookie picks I found (and only half of them were at least somewhat useful):

3 - Daniel Thomas
4 - Mark Ingram
6 - Julio Jones
10 - A.J. Green, Delonte Carter
12 - Kendall Hunter, Roy Helu
13 - DeMarco Murray
14 - Cam Newton
15 - Alex Henery

It'll be interesting to see how the vote turns out whether to even have it.

Even if we don't do a rookie draft; I think we should award something to the consolation winner other than 'pride' of course. Maybe something like +2 or +3 to your "choice" to pick in the draft? I don't think they should automatically be awarded 2nd choice though unless by chance they drew 3-6, etc.

I also like the total randomization of the draft the way it is, but if you're going to give anyone a choice, give the league winner first choice the way I do in the hockey league and then everyone else gets randomized. It gives you something to actually 'win' besides the trophy on your Yahoo! profile :P

Or I suppose if you want to redo the draft lottery to give the non-playoff teams an edge, you can have 'two' drawings, one for the six non-playoff teams for the top six 'choices' of draft position then the second for the playoff teams and the bottom six choices. But really it shouldn't matter that much since it's a snake draft every position gets evened out. And people like CRASHER, VALUE and Clown are going to divebomb to the back of the first round anyway regardless of where they get selected in the draft order.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 22 December 2011 - 09:21 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#347 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

...I don't get reserving two or three spots in a non-dynasty league for rookies.

Besides, looking back over the draft quickly it's not as if rookies were a priority anyway. These were the ten rookie picks I found (and only half of them were at least somewhat useful):
It'll be interesting to see how the vote turns out whether to even have it.

That's largely why I think if we were to do a rookie draft... it couldn't be for one season. First year impact rookies are hard to judge. By year 2 or 3, they blossom or bust. Being a birds fan, I knew LeSean McCoy would be good once he got out of Westbrook's shadow and got into the plays more...

A multi-year, rookie draft is a bit complicated for our league though... but I still like the idea of something to play for in the consolation bracket.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#348 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Or I suppose if you want to redo the draft lottery to give the non-playoff teams an edge, you can have 'two' drawings, one for the six non-playoff teams for the top six 'choices' of draft position then the second for the playoff teams and the bottom six choices.

This would probably be fine.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#349 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,124 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Knew I was going to have the worst week of the year as half my team is injured and Rodgers might play a few series tomorrow. I wasn't going to be home either to see who was active or not. Still happy how the season went.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#350 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Since the title game's decided already, might as well post the finalized keeper lists. Anyone with a strikethrough was kept last year and thus ineligible for keeping this year. Everyone should look at their team before the end of the season in case I somehow missed something (did this mostly the other day when I was laid up lol):

New Jersey Swamps

Romo – 3rd
Sanchez – 15th (FA)
McFadden
Bush – 8th
Wells – 4th
Jones-Drew – 1st
D. Brown – 15th
Wallace – 2nd
Harvin – 7th
Holmes – 5th
Daniels – 6th
Gronkowski – 12th
Bailey – 15th
Texans – 15th
Bears – 10th

Team Name TBD

Rodgers – 1st
Ponder – 15th (FA)
Ch. Johnson – 1st
Charles
Helu – 15th (FA)
Bryant – 3rd
Maclin – 4th
Manningham – 5th
Green – 10th
A. Brown – 15th
Winslow – 10th
Olsen – 12th
Henery – 15th
Praeter – 15th (FA)
Jets – 8th
Seahawks – 15th (FA)

Long Island Iced Z

Fitzpatrick – 10th
Hasselbeck – 15th (FA)
Yates – 15th (FA)
Moore – 15th (FA)
McCoy – 1st
Forte – 3rd
Sproles – 13th
V. Jackson
J. Jones – 6th
J. Nelson – 13th
Boldin – 5th
Gates – 3rd
Kasay – 15th (FA)
Titans – 15th (FA)
Eagles – 8th

Stacked with VALUE

Brady – 2nd
S. Jackson – 2nd
Lynch – 6th
P. Thomas – 7th
F. Jackson – 5th (IR)
Royster - 15th (FA)
Welker – 4th
S. Moss – 15th (FA)
Washington – 15th (FA)
Crabtree
A. Johnson – 1st
D. Thomas – 15th (FA)
A. Hernandez
Pettigrew – 15th (FA)
Novak – 15th (FA)
Bengals – 15th (FA)

MantaRavens

Stafford – 7th
Flacco – 15th
Bradshaw
Green-Ellis – 4th
Gerhart – 15th (FA)
Hunter – 15th (FA)
R. Williams – 15th (FA)
Bell – 15th (FA)
Jennings – 2nd
Cruz – 15th (FA)
Lloyd – 15th (FA)
Graham – 7th
Akers – 15th (FA)
Ravens – 9th
49ers – 15th (FA)

Occupy MANTA

Newton – 14th
Rivers – 2nd
R. Bush
S. Greene

J. Stewart – 7th
Spiller – 8th
M. Morris – 15th (FA)
Marshall – 5th
Fitzgerald – 1st
S. Johnson – 3rd
Nelson – 15th (FA)
Witten – 4th
Nugent – 15th (FA)
Lions – 15th (FA)
Falcons – 15th (FA)

Waiver Wire Whining

Vick
Roethlisberger – 6th
Tebow – 15th (FA)
Gore – 1st
Mathews – 4th
Thomas – 3rd
K. Smith – 15th (FA)
Tomlinson – 15th (FA)
Ringer – 15th (FA)
Ca. Johnson – 2nd
T. Smith – 15th (FA)
L. Robinson – 15th (FA)
Gonzalez – 7th
Crosby – 13th
Packers – 8th

Masked Marauders

Brees – 2nd
Bradford – 15th (FA)
Turner – 1st
F. Jones – 4th
Benson – 5th
Murray – 13th
Woodhead – 15th (FA)
Addai – 6th
Branch – 10th
J. Jones – 15th (FA)
Britt – 7th (IR)
Gresham – 15th (FA)
Chandler – 15th (FA)
Gostkowski – 15th (FA)
Cowboys – 9th

Wack MC’s

Dalton – 15th (FA)
V. Young – 15th (FA)
Peterson – 1st
Blount – 3rd
D. Williams – 4th
Starks – 9th
Bowe – 2nd
Nicks
L. Moore – 10th
Douglas – 15th (FA)
Ballard – 15th (FA)
D. Clark – 5th
Hanson – 15th (FA)
Steelers – 7th
Jaguars – 15th (FA)

Smirking Revenge

A. Smith – 15th (FA)
McGahee – 8th
Mendenhall – 1st
Jacobs – 15th (FA)
K. Williams – 15th (FA)
S. Morris – 15th (FA)
Best (IR) – 3rd
R. White – 2nd
Colston – 5th
Breaston – 15th (FA)
Burress – 15th (FA)
Little – 15th (FA)
V. Davis – 6th
Keller – 15th (FA)
Bryant – 15th (FA)
Bills – 15th (FA)

Sworn Defenders

Ryan – 4th
Freeman – 6th
Palmer – 15th (FA)
P. Manning – 15th (FA)
Foster – 1st
Tate – 9th
Tolbert – 7th
Grant – 15th (FA)
Moreno – 15th (IR)
H. Miller – 15th (FA)
S. Smith – 9th
M. Williams – 4th
R. Wayne – 15th (FA)
Doucet – 15th (FA)
Janikowski – 13th
Giants – 14th

Big Blue

E. Manning – 6th
Cutler – 8th
Rice – 1st
Hillis
McCluster – 15th (FA)
Ingram – 4th
Austin – 2nd
Gaffney – 15th (FA)
Baldwin – 15th (FA)
S. Rice – 7th (IR)
D. Jackson – 3rd
Garcon – 11th
Finley – 5th
Bironas – 15th (FA)
Rackers – 14th
Patriots – 9th

Edited by NJDevs4978, 24 December 2011 - 04:56 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#351 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

Knew I was going to have the worst week of the year as half my team is injured and Rodgers might play a few series tomorrow. I wasn't going to be home either to see who was active or not. Still happy how the season went.

TBH you have a lot of dangerous players left in the game (read: Rodgers, Maclin, Seattle D) so I'm not ready to concede anything just yet. If SF wins I expect a full game out of Rodgers...if SF loses then it's probably done unless Seattle's D has another 30 point day. Still, your team has done damn good to this point, and you have a hell of a keeper in either Rodgers or AJ Green. Good season man.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#352 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,124 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

Congrats Value. Got a ridiculous game from Rodgers but the rest of my team didn't show up. I didn't even realize your team had Brady and Welker. I was enjoying the 17-0 domination at the half not thinking how good that was for my fantasy team at the time. But boy did they get it going on in the second half.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#353 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

Congrats Value. Got a ridiculous game from Rodgers but the rest of my team didn't show up. I didn't even realize your team had Brady and Welker. I was enjoying the 17-0 domination at the half not thinking how good that was for my fantasy team at the time. But boy did they get it going on in the second half.

Yeah, Aaron Rodgers is one of the big reasons why I was hesitant to accept my title early. It ended up being a lot closer game than I thought based on the Sat 1 PM results. You were a most worthy opponent, but now I'm happy to say...

Posted Image
THE CHAMP...IS...HERE!

< /cena>
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users