147 replies to this topic

#41 The Facepainter

The Facepainter

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

Not sure what to believe, but TG tweeted back at one of the posters at HFboards and said that the error in the first 10 words of the article isn't the only one. TG said that's what he's being told.

#42 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

One thing I want to question is how all of a sudden the arena is needing the Nets to make money? Wasn't the arena one of the busiest in the world?

Exactly. 3rd in the US in revenue yet it's "at risk". Oh and according to TG the article is chock full of errors.

#43 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

One thing I want to question is how all of a sudden the arena is needing the Nets to make money? Wasn't the arena one of the busiest in the world?

The Nets were a part of that busy-ness.

If I'm not mistaken, a big problem for this year is that those dates slated for Nets games cannot be rescheduled until they are officially canceled. So while a lockout that destroys the first part of, maybe even the whole NBA season is likely, the PruCenter must hold those dates back, meaning they can only be filled with small gigs at best once the NBA gets to actually canceling its games.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#44 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

The Nets were a part of that busy-ness.

If I'm not mistaken, a big problem for this year is that those dates slated for Nets games cannot be rescheduled until they are officially canceled. So while a lockout that destroys the first part of, maybe even the whole NBA season is likely, the PruCenter must hold those dates back, meaning they can only be filled with small gigs at best once the NBA gets to actually canceling its games.

And I think they'd be lucky to get those small gigs. Newark is not a prime touring location with NYC a stones throw away. If this article has some truth behind it, the loss of the NBA season will certainly hurt the Prudential Center. However, the Nets are horrible and they sold so few tickets that it may have even cost more to put the game on than not.

#45 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

From what I understand, sporting events are relatively low-revenue events for arenas. Stuff like concerts, circuses, ice shows, etc. are where the real money is, and IIRC The Rock has been gaining those kinds of dates, not losing them.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#46 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

Busy does not always = $$$$

I realise this but back in January, the arena was scheduled to make a profit.

What I was asking is do the Nets actually bring that much revenue to the arena, because they are pretty much dead last in attendance in the NBA and in the Izod they were giving tickets away ten at a time.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#47 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

A couple of comments from Gulitti on his blog:

I’m not going to say much about the Devils finances/Post story right now. I expect to have something accurate on it later today.

It might take some time, but I will have something today.

I will tell you that I’ve been told that Chambers and Vanderbeek are close to a deal in which Chambers will sell Vanderbeek his share of the team. That’s something they’ve been working on for a while

They did have their differences previously, but as I reported a few months back they’re working together now for a peaceful resolution of the sale.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 09/12 at 08:59 AM

The writer of the NY Post article is a business writer.

He is the same reporter who did a story three months or so back that resulted in Vanderbeek and Chambers putting out a joint statement saying it was not true.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 09/12 at 09:45 AM

That’s all I have for you for now other than, from what I’m told, the incorrect opening sentence that states training camp starts tomorrow sets a tone for the remainder of the article.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 09/12 at 10:44 AM

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#48 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

And I think they'd be lucky to get those small gigs. Newark is not a prime touring location with NYC a stones throw away. If this article has some truth behind it, the loss of the NBA season will certainly hurt the Prudential Center. However, the Nets are horrible and they sold so few tickets that it may have even cost more to put the game on than not.

Again, they were 3rd in the nation in ticket revenue only behind MSG and Staples Center. http://newyork.cbslo...lication-finds/

Edited by Marv4Life, 12 September 2011 - 10:24 AM.

#49 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

I do hope there is a deal in place between Chambers and JVB. I will only believe it though when or if it happens.

#50 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

This article is also up on Foxsports.com for those wondering about the legitimacy or reach of the article.

I too was surprised to read this. I had no idea it was this bad or in the area of being this bad.
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#51 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

This article is sounding more bark than bite the more I think about it. I'm sure the devils finances aren't great but I'm sure its nothing extraordinarily dire either.

#52 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

This article is also up on Foxsports.com for those wondering about the legitimacy or reach of the article.

I too was surprised to read this. I had no idea it was this bad or in the area of being this bad.

It was copied from the Post.

#53 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

I don't believe it at all.

Unlike many teams/arenas, the Devils own the Prudential Center. Concerts, the Nets, and any other events, make the Devils money.

This also means that concessions + other sh!t that is sold in the arena yields a MUCH greater % of profit than it did at CAA and does for teams who do not own their arena.

You also have to look at the premium seating (acela club, fire/ice/platinum lounges, etc)..corporations pay tons for these seats. Even if a seat is empty, it doesn't mean that it's not paid for.

This is all concrete fact, not speculation.

#54 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

Unlike many teams/arenas, the Devils own the Prudential Center. Concerts, the Nets, and any other events, make the Devils money.

This also means that concessions + other sh!t that is sold in the arena yields a MUCH greater % of profit than it did at CAA and does for teams who do not own their arena.

You also have to look at the premium seating (acela club, fire/ice/platinum lounges, etc)..corporations pay tons for these seats. Even if a seat is empty, it doesn't mean that it's not paid for.

You know exactly what their margins are for those seats and concessions? lol are you their accountant?

#55 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

But there are facts that don't paint such a rosy picture. Chambers DOES want to sell his stake, and I doubt he'd want to if the arena was producing a nice profit. Not to mention that it's taking him over a year to find a buyer and that he's had to lower his asking price. Plus there have been reports for years now that the organization is late on payments, etc.

#56 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

You know exactly what their margins are for those seats and concessions? lol are you their accountant?

The Devils got nothing for concessions at the Meadowlands so we know they're doing better now.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#57 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Did I say I had exact margins? No, I didn't.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if the devils were fine at CAA, where profit margins were undoubtedly lower (of course, exact figures aren't available) and they made 0 dollars on other events, that they're fine now, where they profit much more on EVERY SINGLE THING AT PRUDENTIAL CENTER.

Stop with your FUD and bitterness, 84.

#58 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

:lol: the article had an unnamed source saying the Devils have already declared bankruptcy. How is that being kept quiet?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#59 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

It was copied from the Post.

Star Ledger did pretty much the same thing. They didn't credit the Post but kept the error about camp opening tomorrow so we can tell where the info came from.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#60 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

From what I understand, sporting events are relatively low-revenue events for arenas. Stuff like concerts, circuses, ice shows, etc. are where the real money is, and IIRC The Rock has been gaining those kinds of dates, not losing them.

this...how i understand it is the arena makes its money here but you can't have kelly clarkson or whomever rock out the rock everynight but you do have a lot of fixed costs such as taxes ext. and the devils just need to break even more or less to pull their weight which is not happening

the owners have taken a bath on the devils yes...business man and devils fan

im pretty sure 84 is no older then 17...he won a devils prize one game and i saw him with the devils dancers so no need to get on his case
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users